How to size skates?

roaddogg02316

Feb 23, 2004
I wear a size 13 shoe. Regular shoe but in work boots I take a 13 wide. How do I determine what size skate to go after. I actually have some game used skates I bought a few years ago. They are 12.5 but lack the insoles. Upon trying them on they are kind of tight around the toes. Probably not worth trying to use these I imagine? I've read how they are usually smaller than your shoe size but the 12.5 I have was pretty uncomfortable just sitting. And without insoles I'm sure its a different feel. And size probably differs with companies too.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
The way to size skates is to go to a shop and try on a bunch of different skates. Every brand, and even skates in the same lineup, fit differently. The only way to get a proper fitting is to try on as many skates as you can.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
The first time you buy skates, you should go to a hockey shop and have your foot measured, then try on skates from a bunch of different makers. If you want to wear insoles, bring those insoles with you. Every type of skate will fit a little differently.

I'm a woman's size 9 shoe, so I started with an ancient set of size 7 CCM Tacks. They were huge on me. So I got measured at a store as a size 6 skate but ordered a pair off the internet (I think Eastons) without trying them on. Big mistake. They killed my feet because they were too narrow in the front. Got remeasured (size 5 1/2EE or 6D, with a wide frontfoot that's common in a lot of women) and spent a couple hours at a local hockey store. I found out that RBKs were like... built for me. I tried on a million models and these by far felt the best. The same size in other brands just felt tight or loose in the wrong places.

So just keep trying on skates until you find the right pair. If it's too tight at the toe, I can tell you from experience they're going to be impossible to skate in.

roaddogg02316

Feb 23, 2004
The first time you buy skates, you should go to a hockey shop and have your foot measured, then try on skates from a bunch of different makers. If you want to wear insoles, bring those insoles with you. Every type of skate will fit a little differently.

I'm a woman's size 9 shoe, so I started with an ancient set of size 7 CCM Tacks. They were huge on me. So I got measured at a store as a size 6 skate but ordered a pair off the internet (I think Eastons) without trying them on. Big mistake. They killed my feet because they were too narrow in the front. Got remeasured (size 5 1/2EE or 6D, with a wide frontfoot that's common in a lot of women) and spent a couple hours at a local hockey store. I found out that RBKs were like... built for me. I tried on a million models and these by far felt the best. The same size in other brands just felt tight or loose in the wrong places.

So just keep trying on skates until you find the right pair. If it's too tight at the toe, I can tell you from experience they're going to be impossible to skate in.

Good information. And the whole toe thing, I bet if they are uncomfortable in the toes then it won't make me want to skate. By the way I'm looking for something as I want to learn to skate. So pain definitely won't encourage wanting to skate lol.

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009
You can find some charts if you do some googling that will show you the conversion from shoe size to skate size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad