Olympics: How to secure future NHL participation regardless of Olympic location

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Gary Bettman is opposed to allowing NHL players to participate in the Olympics anymore if they are not in North America.

Many players did not like that he colluded with the IIHF to enforce a ban on participation in 2018.

So, I feel that in order for all future Olympics to have NHL participation, Bettman must be replaced with a more Olympic-friendly (and while we're at it, more friendly to the Canadian NHL teams in order to restore their dominance) commissioner.

Bettman's removal is a long time coming. Let's hope it happens in time for Beijing 2022.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Gary Bettman is opposed to allowing NHL players to participate in the Olympics anymore if they are not in North America.

Wrong. The owners don't want the players going to the Olympics in any continent and Bettman acts on their behalf.

Many players did not like that he colluded with the IIHF to enforce a ban on participation in 2018.

Aside from the small fact that the relationship between the NHL and IIHF seems to have never been worse, where did you come up with this player survey?

So, I feel that in order for all future Olympics to have NHL participation, Bettman must be replaced with a more Olympic-friendly (and while we're at it, more friendly to the Canadian NHL teams in order to restore their dominance) commissioner.

Great idea! Have a commissioner rig the league in favor of seven of the teams at the expense of the rest. I'm sure the other 24 owners will be completely on board. (end sarcasm)

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
At this point, it might be better to adjust the IIHF/NHLs schedule so the World Championships start after the Stanley Cup finals.
-With the NHL season over, anyone not recovering from injuries would be free to compete (Might be the only chance left to see McDavid and Crosby play together)
-With the NHL season over, way more North American cities would be available to actually bid on hosting them, and it wont have to be in Europe every single year
-NHL complained about not being able to advertise their presence at the Olympics? Well the IOC is not involved with the World Championships at all. In fact, doesn't the NHL already have exclusive US rights for the World Championships?
-NHL has no problem right now with sending players to the World Championships, I dont see how that would change if it no longer overlapped with the playoffs.
Unfortunately, there will always be players unable to play due to being banged up after a long season (not to mention the fact it is every single year and some players may just choose rest over going many times in a row), but its still better than where we are now.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
At this point, it might be better to adjust the IIHF/NHLs schedule so the World Championships start after the Stanley Cup finals.
Even better would be to not have international tournaments to disrupt the season at all. Especially, especially annual ones.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The IIHF did not prevent NHLers from participating. The NHL owners were the only group that held the players up, though the IOC did a good job of incentivizing them to do so. The IIHF by all accounts tried to get the NHLers in, even calling the NHL's bluff and offering to foot the insurance bill when the NHL tried to use that as an easy out.

The only way to ensure it would be the players explicitly forcing it in CBA negotiations. The 2014 and 2018 Olympic tournament happened during the same CBA and the only difference really was the the NHL owners changed their minds. They'll have to remove the option for the owners to change their minds. I don't really know what chip the players can use to ensure participation that isn't an extreme option, but maybe something built around frivolous things that the NHL owners are fond of such as World Cup participation and all star game participation.

Reactions: BOS358

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
...Like having it after the NHL season?
At all.

I can't imagine a player wanting to go play a tournament after already having two months off of hockey (non-playoff teams), or wanting to play another couple of weeks after finishing off an already long season (Cup finalist). International hockey, no less, in front of half empty arenas (attendance always sucks for all but the host nation).

Before pre-season every four years seems much more reasonable. That's when the World Cup / Canada Cup should be held. If at all.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Have an annual big international tournament starting August 15th three years out of four, and the Olympic hockey tournament in the fourth year.

The IIHF, the NHL and the NHLPA would be smart to find a way to share ownership and proceeds on the annual tournament. Obvs big tournament post year should generate enough events to go around.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Bettman's removal is a long time coming. Let's hope it happens in time for Beijing 2022.
hell no. look at the growth of the shield under Bettman. And its NOT bettman who opposes this, its the owners. they don't want their players under contract to go enrich some corrupt third party, bettman is simply the voice of the owners.

you know who should be shown the door ? the goddamned IOC

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
At all.

I can't imagine a player wanting to go play a tournament after already having two months off of hockey (non-playoff teams), or wanting to play another couple of weeks after finishing off an already long season (Cup finalist). International hockey, no less, in front of half empty arenas (attendance always sucks for all but the host nation).

Before pre-season every four years seems much more reasonable. That's when the World Cup / Canada Cup should be held. If at all.

If September is the preferred time of year, Id like to see the World Championships moved there instead. NHL/PA haven't been able to figure out World Cups and I dont think they ever will.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
If September is the preferred time of year, Id like to see the World Championships moved there instead. NHL/PA haven't been able to figure out World Cups and I dont think they ever will.
But that means letting the IIHF in on the money. So much for the 50/50 split between players and league.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I mean, yeah...but the players will have a potential best-on-best to play in annually instead of the possibility of maybe a World Cup once a decade or so.

Based on everything that has happened in the past few years, it appears the players want the Olympics, not some random "best on best" gimmick that is shoved down everybody's throats. If anybody cared about a "best on best," the World Cup would have at least been scheduled for later this year.

Let's face the facts, the owners, and by extension, the league, only care about cashing in. There's no goodwill. There's no desire to grow the game.

EDIT: This is far more attention than anybody should pay to a thread started by Big Z Man 1990.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad