Equipment: How to paint stick ??

Greasy Sliders

Jun 29, 2012
I'm thinking of painting the bottem of my composite stick. What would be the best paint and technique for painting it ?

Also , what effect would it have after ? Would it make it really sticky ? Or would it make it heavier ?

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It wouldn't have any affect other than make it cool looking and it can blend in with your black stick tape and the puck and add some confusion for opposing goalies.

The thing I do is tape off the area where you want the paint to stop with painters tape and then use a matte black paint and apply as light of a coat out of a spray can as possible or else it will start dripping.

I've never noticed the stick being heavier until you start adding more coats.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Simple and cheap way is to find some white spray paint primer then add a couple thin layers of Rustoleum or Krylon spray paint (comes in a surprisingly high number of colours which you would otherwise have to get mixed in a can). Make sure you don't buy rust spray paint. Need some green tape to cover spots you don't want painted obviously since it's spray.

Greasy Sliders

Jun 29, 2012
It wouldn't have any affect other than make it cool looking and it can blend in with your black stick tape and the puck and add some confusion for opposing goalies.

The thing I do is tape off the area where you want the paint to stop with painters tape and then use a matte black paint and apply as light of a coat out of a spray can as possible or else it will start dripping.

I've never noticed the stick being heavier until you start adding more coats.

This is with spray , or regular paint ?

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Use an enamel aerosol can for easiest application. Scuff the area to be painted with some 320 grit sandpaper. Clean off any dust and dry it thoroughly. Spray 2-3 light coats, use some heat to cure it between and after coats, a hair dryer will work fine. Wait 30 mins between coats. Wont stand up great to wear, no paint really will without a serious topcoating but just repeat these steps to touch it up on occasion.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just get a can of spray paint and do a few THIN coats. Move up and down quickly and don't let it pool up or it will drop. Watch YouTube videos of spraying for the idea.

I've done it with and without sanding. With sanding, the paint stays on MUCH better. Without it seems to rub off easily. You can get matte finish paint but it won't be as grippy as a grip stick. There are grippy rubber sprays but those wear off after a few games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad