How to motivate a novice (or any) player for tryouts?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I think my favorite partS of your excuses are when you attack me and how you keep moving the goalposts.

Keep telling yourself that feeling the need to motivate your kids for novice hockey makes you a great dad instead of the next John O’Sullivan.
Not sure why you are being so hard on Yukon Joe. I spent $100,000 towards helping my son reach his highest potential. Training, lessons, advisors, club hockey. Oddly what killed him was coaches that were very harsh. And don't use your credentials. One of the worst people to treat my kid was a former NHL coach.

My kid got tons out of hockey and our relationship was and is fantastic. As long as you are honest, supportive and include the kids in all the decisions, and treat them with love and kindness, all the power to him.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Not sure why you are being so hard on Yukon Joe. I spent $100,000 towards helping my son reach his highest potential. Training, lessons, advisors, club hockey. Oddly what killed him was coaches that were very harsh. And don't use your credentials. One of the worst people to treat my kid was a former NHL coach.

My kid got tons out of hockey and our relationship was and is fantastic. As long as you are honest, supportive and include the kids in all the decisions, and treat them with love and kindness, all the power to him.
And there is the difference between you and him and a good parent and bad parent. Every post of his talks about him doing something, him deciding, him wanting. Not once does he talk about what his kids want. That’s why I’m being hard on him. As I said, I have seen tons of parents who use their kids to make their dreams come true and it rarely ends well. A good kid with talent hates the sport because dad made it all about himself and pushed him too hard. A good kid hates his dad for what he did to him. So many stories in all sports about this. You’ve done it the right way.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
And there is the difference between you and him and a good parent and bad parent. Every post of his talks about him doing something, him deciding, him wanting. Not once does he talk about what his kids want. That’s why I’m being hard on him. As I said, I have seen tons of parents who use their kids to make their dreams come true and it rarely ends well. A good kid with talent hates the sport because dad made it all about himself and pushed him too hard. A good kid hates his dad for what he did to him. So many stories in all sports about this. You’ve done it the right way.

Hey Chuck - this is where you don't know me, and don't know my kids.

I initially put my kids in hockey when they were five (skating when 4). I asked them what they wanted to do, but they had no idea, so I picked hockey for them. We did the first couple years, but once they hit like 7 we gave them the option - you have to do a sport, but it's up to you. Whatever you want. They all said hockey.

Take my oldest. He loves hockey the most. I used to have him play soccer in the summer (everything I've heard talks about being a multi-sport athlete), but a couple years ago it was 'no dad, I want to play spring hockey'. So we signed him up for spring hockey. Right now he's obsessed with going to the skate park - so I take him to the skate ark as often as I can.

I'm not sure how much my younger two love hockey. But at sign up time when asked they both picked hockey. They both seem excited enough about going to hockey. They're not kids who get worked up about it, who demand to play road hockey all the time, who want to work on their game. And that's okay.

I don't know why I feel the need to defend myself to someone who compares me to a notoriously bad hockey parent, but there you have it.

All because I wanted my kids to do as well as they were able to at evaluations.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Hey Chuck - this is where you don't know me, and don't know my kids.

I initially put my kids in hockey when they were five (skating when 4). I asked them what they wanted to do, but they had no idea, so I picked hockey for them. We did the first couple years, but once they hit like 7 we gave them the option - you have to do a sport, but it's up to you. Whatever you want. They all said hockey.

Take my oldest. He loves hockey the most. I used to have him play soccer in the summer (everything I've heard talks about being a multi-sport athlete), but a couple years ago it was 'no dad, I want to play spring hockey'. So we signed him up for spring hockey. Right now he's obsessed with going to the skate park - so I take him to the skate ark as often as I can.

I'm not sure how much my younger two love hockey. But at sign up time when asked they both picked hockey. They both seem excited enough about going to hockey. They're not kids who get worked up about it, who demand to play road hockey all the time, who want to work on their game. And that's okay.

I don't know why I feel the need to defend myself to someone who compares me to a notoriously bad hockey parent, but there you have it.

All because I wanted my kids to do as well as they were able to at evaluations.
Not once did you mention your kids asking you to give them extra work to do or to try to motivate them or to set up special practices. You keep backing up exactly what I am saying, stop digging the hole deeper and stop putting what you want over what your kids ask for.

Typical overbearing sports parent desperate to live their dreams through their kids. Pathetic.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Not once did you mention your kids asking you to give them extra work to do or to try to motivate them or to set up special practices. You keep backing up exactly what I am saying, stop digging the hole deeper and stop putting what you want over what your kids ask for.

Typical overbearing sports parent desperate to live their dreams through their kids. Pathetic.

You're clearly not engaging in a good faith discussion here bro. I'm done. Peace out and enjoy hockey. I'll even let you get in one more insult if you wish.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
You're clearly not engaging in a good faith discussion here bro. I'm done. Peace out and enjoy hockey. I'll even let you get in one more insult if you wish.
That’s kind of rich coming from you. You’re the guy making excuse after excuse and moving the goalposts over and over. You don’t like seeing your reflection in the mirror, as do all overbearing sports fans.

I get it. It will be nice not seeing any more of your nonsense here.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I can see both of these sides. I'm more like a ChuckLefley here. I have just gone laissez-faire all the way. But hardly anybody around me does. And ultimately my kids won't go anywhere in hockey. To various degrees they seemed to want to... but it does set them back when they don't understand what is involved in accomplishing that at early ages. And as a parent you do understand it a little better. So even if they do figure it out when they are older, while it's not impossible to make up the ground, it definitely does create a challenge, and sometimes an outright barrier. That's just how the hockey system works. Most hockey parents see that and try to adjust for it like Yukon Joe. I don't see a problem with that. It all ends up in the same place at the end though.

Now, I have also learned that I don't WANT to pay for hockey for the younger ones anyway, since even when they eventually figure it out and go hard, it STILL isn't going to go anywhere. So I'm very happy to just let them figure it out or not on their own. Because any lack of figuring it out just benefits me in the long run. I'm going to save money if they don't figure it out. That's a win afaic. :thumbu:

I think there are also parents like me out there that don't push their kids, but I was kind of the opposite where I didn't even want my daughter to play hockey, even though I played the game my whole life.

My wife asked me to get my daughter into skating/hockey when she was four, and she thought I'd be all happy about it, but I was very resistant to the idea.

I honestly didn't want to deal with the politics and dumb shit I saw when I played/coached.

I realized I was making it about myself and relented and let her take skating lessons, then gradually over time when I saw how much fun she was having, I started to work with her and teach her skating/hockey.

I already told some of my daughter's story above and how she has become self-motivated, but I honestly didn't want her to play travel... maybe that sounds weird to some parents in here, but I just didn't want to deal with all the traveling, the dumb ass parents who take shit too seriously...

Mostly though, I was afraid she would lose her love for the game when it became too competitive and politics got involved.

I have had to learn to put how I feel aside and make things not about myself... and its not easy if I'm being totally honest.

We have a tournament coming up and I'm dreading being around certain parents I know take shit too seriously... ones you don't see much in ADM or house... but now that it's competitive I know it's going to start up.

I've already seen a few screaming just during the pre-season games... taking their masks off and yelling to the kids like the kids give a f*** what they say.

I honestly hate it... the whole scene... but I hang in there for my daughter.

However, there are times I feel like a bad father because I almost stopped my daughter from playing and she loves this game so damn much.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think there are also parents like me out there that don't push their kids, but I was kind of the opposite where I didn't even want my daughter to play hockey, even though I played the game my whole life.

My wife asked me to get my daughter into skating/hockey when she was four, and she thought I'd be all happy about it, but I was very resistant to the idea.

I honestly didn't want to deal with the politics and dumb shit I saw when I played/coached.

I realized I was making it about myself and relented and let her take skating lessons, then gradually over time when I saw how much fun she was having, I started to work with her and teach her skating/hockey.

I already told some of my daughter's story above and how she has become self-motivated, but I honestly didn't want her to play travel... maybe that sounds weird to some parents in here, but I just didn't want to deal with all the traveling, the dumb ass parents who take shit too seriously...

Mostly though, I was afraid she would lose her love for the game when it became too competitive and politics got involved.

I have had to learn to put how I feel aside and make things not about myself... and its not easy if I'm being totally honest.

We have a tournament coming up and I'm dreading being around certain parents I know take shit too seriously... ones you don't see much in ADM or house... but now that it's competitive I know it's going to start up.

I've already seen a few screaming just during the pre-season games... taking their masks off and yelling to the kids like the kids give a f*** what they say.

I honestly hate it... the whole scene... but I hang in there for my daughter.

However, there are times I feel like a bad father because I almost stopped my daughter from playing and she loves this game so damn much.
I have learned to just sit in my truck and read a book. The dumbass parents can do whatever they want out there in the parking lot or in the stands. And they're really not as "dumbass" as I sometimes say, actually. Most of them are nice and well-meaning, in the right context. But they just aren't in the same mental frame of mind as I am. Many of them are actually beyond nice and are super-nice. Or just starting out and haven't seen everything yet. I don't want to generalize or seem bitter or cynical or anything. But sometimes I come off that way. So I know where ChuckLefley is coming from. I'm just on a different wavelength from most of the other parents. Part of it is also financial. I'm stretched to the max with 3 kids in travel, and I can recognize that I am a little bit jealous of those who have an easier time of it than I do, be it financially, or having just 1 kid, or having 2 parents who are fully engaged in the process, where I am running around like crazy on my own.

So being fully honest, I sometimes come off as judgmental, but I don't really mean to, on sober reflection.

I have 1 kid who is absolutely gung-ho and I don't question his commitment, effort, and the benefit he has extracted from playing AAA and now Prep school. He's still not going anywhere because... well... genes. Sorry son. But I really don't mind doing my utmost to enable him to follow whatever path he can make of it. Slats432's posts totally resonate with me on this one. Forget hockey, he is learning life skills by pushing himself down this path.

The others... well... they are not in the same category. They are good enough to hang around on travel teams, but not really interested in pushing themselves. That's fine. I'm a little bit lucky because I simply don't have the bandwidth to push them even if I wanted to. So sometimes I feel a little guilty that I'm not "keeping up with the Joneses" in terms of extras for them or I'm not pushing them to do the things I know they need to do if they want to step up their games. Occasionally I catch myself regretting that. But frankly I know it doesn't matter. Ultimately they have the same genes as the gung-ho kid. I can't afford it and they aren't THAT committed anyway, so it's all good. We just coast along having whatever fun we can have along the way, and sometimes they wonder or ask if they could do more, and sometimes they moan about what they are already doing, and sometimes I wonder if I could accommodate them or push them like so many others around them are doing, but... mostly I just stick to my guns and relax and let them go with the flow of it all. We do what we can and end of the day they still come away smiling.

I definitely don't think it's fair to try to judge anybody else's approach. It's super complicated. I will say that the parents who are keen and have the bandwidth, I really appreciate them because my kids' teams need coaches, assistant coaches, managers, trainers, etc. And the cynical person could point fingers and say they are just in it for their own kid. But my kid doesn't get to play either without them. Minor hockey runs on parent volunteers. Ultimately I'm benefitting from other people having the time and bandwidth to put into this that I don't. So whatever their motivations might be, I'd try to be appreciative.

In 20 seasons of minor hockey I can think of 4 cases where I make an exception, where I'd be like "holy crap, you are insane and abusing your child". Those cases ARE out there. And as much as those are disturbing, I would not want to color all the keen and eager and financially capable parents just based on those extremes.

The Covid shut-down has been revealing too. I am embarrassed to say I have absolutely loved the time off. I kind of secretly hope everything would shut down again. Because then I get my life back and save a lot of money. Is that awful? I don't know. My kids' mental and physical health is certainly trending up now that they get to play hockey again, so yeah, it's probably awful. Sorry. :( But it's also a bit of an addictive lifestyle so it's also nice to be back in the rinks and running the roads every night again too. :confused:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
That’s kind of rich coming from you. You’re the guy making excuse after excuse and moving the goalposts over and over. You don’t like seeing your reflection in the mirror, as do all overbearing sports fans.

I get it. It will be nice not seeing any more of your nonsense here.

See - I knew you couldn't resist one more insult!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I have learned to just sit in my truck and read a book. The dumbass parents can do whatever they want out there in the parking lot or in the stands. And they're really not as "dumbass" as I sometimes say, actually. Most of them are nice and well-meaning, in the right context. But they just aren't in the same mental frame of mind as I am. Many of them are actually beyond nice and are super-nice. Or just starting out and haven't seen everything yet. I don't want to generalize or seem bitter or cynical or anything. But sometimes I come off that way. So I know where ChuckLefley is coming from. I'm just on a different wavelength from most of the other parents. Part of it is also financial. I'm stretched to the max with 3 kids in travel, and I can recognize that I am a little bit jealous of those who have an easier time of it than I do, be it financially, or having just 1 kid, or having 2 parents who are fully engaged in the process, where I am running around like crazy on my own.

So being fully honest, I sometimes come off as judgmental, but I don't really mean to, on sober reflection.

I have 1 kid who is absolutely gung-ho and I don't question his commitment, effort, and the benefit he has extracted from playing AAA and now Prep school. He's still not going anywhere because... well... genes. Sorry son. But I really don't mind doing my utmost to enable him to follow whatever path he can make of it. Slats432's posts totally resonate with me on this one. Forget hockey, he is learning life skills by pushing himself down this path.

The others... well... they are not in the same category. They are good enough to hang around on travel teams, but not really interested in pushing themselves. That's fine. I'm a little bit lucky because I simply don't have the bandwidth to push them even if I wanted to. So sometimes I feel a little guilty that I'm not "keeping up with the Joneses" in terms of extras for them or I'm not pushing them to do the things I know they need to do if they want to step up their games. Occasionally I catch myself regretting that. But frankly I know it doesn't matter. Ultimately they have the same genes as the gung-ho kid. I can't afford it and they aren't THAT committed anyway, so it's all good. We just coast along having whatever fun we can have along the way, and sometimes they wonder or ask if they could do more, and sometimes they moan about what they are already doing, and sometimes I wonder if I could accommodate them or push them like so many others around them are doing, but... mostly I just stick to my guns and relax and let them go with the flow of it all. We do what we can and end of the day they still come away smiling.

I definitely don't think it's fair to try to judge anybody else's approach. It's super complicated. I will say that the parents who are keen and have the bandwidth, I really appreciate them because my kids' teams need coaches, assistant coaches, managers, trainers, etc. And the cynical person could point fingers and say they are just in it for their own kid. But my kid doesn't get to play either without them. Minor hockey runs on parent volunteers. Ultimately I'm benefitting from other people having the time and bandwidth to put into this that I don't. So whatever their motivations might be, I'd try to be appreciative.

In 20 seasons of minor hockey I can think of 4 cases where I make an exception, where I'd be like "holy crap, you are insane and abusing your child". Those cases ARE out there. And as much as those are disturbing, I would not want to color all the keen and eager and financially capable parents just based on those extremes.

The Covid shut-down has been revealing too. I am embarrassed to say I have absolutely loved the time off. I kind of secretly hope everything would shut down again. Because then I get my life back and save a lot of money. Is that awful? I don't know. My kids' mental and physical health is certainly trending up now that they get to play hockey again, so yeah, it's probably awful. Sorry. :( But it's also a bit of an addictive lifestyle so it's also nice to be back in the rinks and running the roads every night again too. :confused:

Ya, I secretly enjoyed that there was no hockey during our lockdown as well, but I knew my daughter was depressed and missed it - so I felt guilty you know?

You make a solid point that there are good people in the hockey community and they love to help out.

I was one of them when I was in my 20s and had no kids... I volunteered to ref and coach because I loved kids and working with them.

But after several years I got so fed up and jaded I was done. Parents screaming at their kids like f*** heads... coaches being assholes and running up the score to pad stats...

I had to kick a dad off my bench when I called his kid up for a game... I told him he couldn’t be on the damn bench and he was constantly in his kids ear...

Had a dad with one of my regular kids that would constantly yell and make him cry. He came up one time while the kid was in the box and told him he let his team down and the kid was bawling.

I lost it and told his dad I’d have him banned from the facility... I had enough of the douche bag.

The last straw was a game I was reffing and the two coaches started swinging at each other before the handshake line after a playoff game.

That was it for me and I never went back.

You have solid advice about not being judgmental with other parents, but’s it’s really tough for me after everything I’ve seen.

I just found out about why parents were locked out of try outs this season... apparently various dads of kids trying out were going to evals and taking notes on other kids.

Then comparing notes if their kids didn’t make a certain tier vs kids who did.

Like wtf is that?

I just continue to see these parents acting stupid and I group them all together, which is wrong of me, no doubt.

However, just being honest that I can’t stand being around most of them.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ya, I secretly enjoyed that there was no hockey during our lockdown as well, but I knew my daughter was depressed and missed it - so I felt guilty you know?

You make a solid point that there are good people in the hockey community and they love to help out.

I was one of them when I was in my 20s and had no kids... I volunteered to ref and coach because I loved kids and working with them.

But after several years I got so fed up and jaded I was done. Parents screaming at their kids like f*** heads... coaches being assholes and running up the score to pad stats...

I had to kick a dad off my bench when I called his kid up for a game... I told him he couldn’t be on the damn bench and he was constantly in his kids ear...

Had a dad with one of my regular kids that would constantly yell and make him cry. He came up one time while the kid was in the box and told him he let his team down and the kid was bawling.

I lost it and told his dad I’d have him banned from the facility... I had enough of the douche bag.

The last straw was a game I was reffing and the two coaches started swinging at each other before the handshake line after a playoff game.

That was it for me and I never went back.

You have solid advice about not being judgmental with other parents, but’s it’s really tough for me after everything I’ve seen.

I just found out about why parents were locked out of try outs this season... apparently various dads of kids trying out were going to evals and taking notes on other kids.

Then comparing notes if their kids didn’t make a certain tier vs kids who did.

Like wtf is that?

I just continue to see these parents acting stupid and I group them all together, which is wrong of me, no doubt.

However, just being honest that I can’t stand being around most of them.
I get all that. I can't count the number of times I've just sat in the stands in the corner and pretended I wasn't there because of the crap some parents are shouting from the stands. Maybe I let that slide at times because I think I know them outside of those displays and that they didn't really mean it, but I can imagine if I was coaching or reffing it would be a lot harder to dismiss than it is when I just sit off to the side and quietly shake my head.

So yeah, "it's complicated". And per this thread, poor Yukon Joe is not even remotely in that category as far as we know, and yet he is shat upon as if he might be, thanks to all those who have gone before him. That's the slippery slope that I think needs to be avoided. But it's not to say that problems aren't out there. Your story about the tryouts is illuminating. I just think if I had to take a "default stance", knowing nothing about anybody, I'd recommend trying the utmost to not make too negative a generalization. But I understand how difficult that might be, especially if you've already borne the brunt of the crazies firsthand.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I get all that. I can't count the number of times I've just sat in the stands in the corner and pretended I wasn't there because of the crap some parents are shouting from the stands. Maybe I let that slide at times because I think I know them outside of those displays and that they didn't really mean it, but I can imagine if I was coaching or reffing it would be a lot harder to dismiss than it is when I just sit off to the side and quietly shake my head.

So yeah, "it's complicated". And per this thread, poor Yukon Joe is not even remotely in that category as far as we know, and yet he is shat upon as if he might be, thanks to all those who have gone before him. That's the slippery slope that I think needs to be avoided. But it's not to say that problems aren't out there. Your story about the tryouts is illuminating. I just think if I had to take a "default stance", knowing nothing about anybody, I'd recommend trying the utmost to not make too negative a generalization. But I understand how difficult that might be, especially if you've already borne the brunt of the crazies firsthand.

I feel like letting my daughter play meant I put my belief in the hockey community not being full of the douche bags I dealt with.

I try to be nice and cordial with everyone. I’m a pretty nice guy, but I’m guarded around these other parents.

But ya, when I see these kookball parents or hear about them, it makes me second guess my leap of faith.

I guess in the end like I said earlier, it’s not about me.

I’m like you, happy to wait in the truck or take a walk during practices...

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So, I was a little hesitant when I first put my oldest kid into hockey. I'd heard all the same kind of stories about overly involved parents. But to date meeting other hockey parents and hockey coaches has been a positive experience. Parents and coaches have been supportive and friendly with the kids. We've legit made a lot of friends through hockey - both the kids and parents.

Thinking about it I think in just a handful of times I've seen parents on the other team yelling at a ref in the last 3 years. That's been about the worst of it.

Not it could well be that it's coming. My oldest is just 10. This is also the first year where any of my kids made Tier 1, which is where I've heard parents can be obnoxious. I've heard stories from some other teams within our own hockey club. And I've heard the AA clubs my son can try out fornext year can get intense.

Also, one thing I really can't tolerate though is abuse of officials. I didn't play hockey as a kid, but I did umpire for little kids. I do have a strong memory of an occasion where I made a very obvious blown call (called someone out on 2nd base when there was no runner on first) but one of the coaches just starts yelling at me. Hey man - I'm just a kid, and as soon as you opened your mouth I realized my error. It's hard when it's a parent from the other team, but no way I'll let one our parents treat a ref that way.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
See - I knew you couldn't resist one more insult!
As I knew you wouldn’t really leave because you can’t stand the fact that everything I’m saying is 100% true. In every post you prove that you are that kind of sports parent...including this one.

Keep digging Mr. Marinovich.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
As I knew you wouldn’t really leave because you can’t stand the fact that everything I’m saying is 100% true. In every post you prove that you are that kind of sports parent...including this one.

Keep digging Mr. Marinovich.

I never said I was leaving. I'm just not meaningfully engaging with you any longer.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Get back under your bridge Chuck.
Weren’t you the guy who got worked up about insults? Truth hurts, doesn’t it, Mr. Marinovich? Shouldn’t you be mixing up protein shakes, writing down diets, plotting running routes home from the rinks, so that you can maximize your kids potential to make you look better, instead of wasting your time trying to get in the last word?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Weren’t you the guy who got worked up about insults? Truth hurts, doesn’t it, Mr. Marinovich? Shouldn’t you be mixing up protein shakes, writing down diets, plotting running routes home from the rinks, so that you can maximize your kids potential to make you look better, instead of wasting your time trying to get in the last word?

Sorry Chuck - maybe tomorrow you'll catch a nice fat billy goat, but not today.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My daughter had her first travel tournament over the weekend and there were moron parents there as usual, as I feared.

Had a woman standing there as my daughters team walked into the rink and she was booing them all individually as they walked in and giving them thumbs down.

Had some real winners screaming at their kids all game in the next matchup... non stop BS.

I couldn’t even enjoy my daughter setting up the go ahead goal in the third because these parents had a hissy fit after the goal....

I spent most of the time feeling badly for these kids instead of enjoying a really good, hard fought game.

My faith was somewhat renewed as the parents at the championship game were really cool and encouraging of their kids.

My daughter’s team blew them out and these parents didn’t get emotional... they were joking around and laughing, encouraging the kids.

My fears about idiot parents earlier in the thread sadly rings true still, but at least I had a glimmer of hope before the tournament ended.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
My daughter had her first travel tournament over the weekend and there were moron parents there as usual, as I feared.

Have to say I'm a bit surprised your daughter is having a travel tournament at all in 2020...

But hell - that sounds quite depressing. It's only a kids game FFS. I hope the rest of your daughter's season goes a bit better.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Have to say I'm a bit surprised your daughter is having a travel tournament at all in 2020...

But hell - that sounds quite depressing. It's only a kids game FFS. I hope the rest of your daughter's season goes a bit better.

The rules make it difficult... each team can only play one game within 24 hrs at each rink. This was in Ohio.

So the tournament was spread out over a few rinks during the weekend.

A number of scheduled tournaments are up in the air right now though and one was already cancelled.

So this may be the only one for awhile, but it all depends on each state.

Our state, PA, recently had rules lifted about how many people can gather indoors, but our governor is filing an appeal to get the restrictions put back in place.

Judge rejects Wolf’s request for stay on shutdown ruling

He’s a moron though... he had a back room deal to let 20k people have a car show and thought no one would find out:

Gov. Wolf responds after confidential agreement allowing car show becomes public

So a lot of the season (league placement games, schedules, yearly tournaments) has been pushed back a few weeks until this situation is resolved.

It’s a mess TBTH.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Sorry Chuck - maybe tomorrow you'll catch a nice fat billy goat, but not today.
What did you do to your kids today that you claim was for their own good but is really about you? Between that and the fact that your desperate to get in the last word, it’s clear you have some issues.

I feel sorry for your kids Joe and I feel sorry for your issues, so I’ll let you get in that desperately needed last word.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016

Had a woman standing there as my daughters team walked into the rink and she was booing them all individually as they walked in and giving them thumbs down.

Had some real winners screaming at their kids all game in the next matchup... non stop BS.

I couldn’t even enjoy my daughter setting up the go ahead goal in the third because these parents had a hissy fit after the goal....

I spent most of the time feeling badly for these kids instead of enjoying a really good, hard fought game.

My faith was somewhat renewed as the parents at the championship game were really cool and encouraging of their kids.

My daughter’s team blew them out and these parents didn’t get emotional... they were joking around and laughing, encouraging the kids.

My fears about idiot parents earlier in the thread sadly rings true still, but at least I had a glimmer of hope before the tournament ended.
I’ve got to be honest, I think it’s hilarious when opposing parents have fits when my sons team scores. I do feel bad for their kids, especially after seeing what some sports parents are like. A few years ago my then 9 year old was playing in a tournament in Chicago that got called because of crowd issues. His entries team were telling the parents about the opposing fans cussing at them and telling their kids to check them and slash them. Later at the tournament hotel the parents from the other team were walking around glaring at our parents. I felt bad for the kids, but the parents were idiots.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’ve got to be honest, I think it’s hilarious when opposing parents have fits when my sons team scores. I do feel bad for their kids, especially after seeing what some sports parents are like. A few years ago my then 9 year old was playing in a tournament in Chicago that got called because of crowd issues. His entries team were telling the parents about the opposing fans cussing at them and telling their kids to check them and slash them. Later at the tournament hotel the parents from the other team were walking around glaring at our parents. I felt bad for the kids, but the parents were idiots.

It’s f***ed up and low to scream at your own kid during a game, but to individually boo 9 and 10 year olds as they pass by you is pretty sick.

My daughter’s team is really good and they were a higher tier than the one team that had the crazies on them screaming.

They should have been proud of those kids for hanging with a much better, higher tiered team for two periods.

The goal my daughter setup opened the floodgates and it went from 2-2 to 5-2 in the third... and the parents were screaming at them like fools.

Those poor kids played so awesome and they were just up against a really difficult situation.

Felt like telling them to get out there and see how it goes for their out of shape asses.

Reactions: ChuckLefley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->