How to Keep Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You've always been very critical and consistently say things like "maybe the team would be better off going in a different direction"

Given your posting record, its not hard to read your intent.
Well you'd be wrong. I've been critical of him when he plays crappy as he has many times this past season & previous seasons as I have with others. I'm not as enamoured with him as most. Last season was IMO his best season he ever had in Ottawa & played great at both ends of the ice. But now is a different situation & maybe the team would be better off going in a different direction given the shit show that is going on here with him at the centre & the amount of money he could demand. Maybe they would & maybe they wouldn't be better off without him, who knows? I have no idea & it's clearly the GM's decision to make. Given your posting record I would assume he's clearly your favourite player that you fly in to defend whenever anything critical is said about him. You seem to feel very strongly about him, good for you.

Let me be clear, I could care less what happens either way with EK, it means absolutely nothing to me in any way. If he stays great, now what happens? If he goes, then what did we get for him, it's the business side that I find interesting at times. Tons of players have come & gone since this franchise was first established & I don't get all that connected with any individual players. Lots of players I like & disliked have come & gone. There are players that I like who play a certain way & will defend from time to time if I think they are being unfairly treated. But if they were traded tomorrow it would make no difference to me & life would go on. Chris Neil retired, I was sad, life went on. It's just a game I watch for entertainment, a hobby I like to talk about but if the NHL went out of business tomorrow I would move on to something else. Try not to take it so seriously, it will give you ulcers worrying about what everyone says about a player. I hope that clarifies things.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yes, it is. You cared more about billboards hurting Melnyk's feelings than you do about this. It's... telling.
Wrong. I didn't think that was the right way to do things & I still don't but I have said on many occasions I wished that he would sell the team. I'm not a fan of EM.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I like both Karlsson and Hoffman but both needs to go. We need a complete rebuild of this franchise. enough with the status quo, we finished 30th in the entire league. so i dont think paying Karlsson a gazillions dollars for the next 8 will make a whole lot of difference.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I like both Karlsson and Hoffman but both needs to go. We need a complete rebuild of this franchise. enough with the status quo, we finished 30th in the entire league. so i dont think paying Karlsson a gazillions dollars for the next 8 will make a whole lot of difference.

There is no scenario imaginable in which this team will be better going forward without EK. He's literally a top-5 player in the NHL.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
There is no scenario imaginable in which this team will be better going forward without EK. He's literally a top-5 player in the NHL.
Im telling you this team will be better moving forward without Karlsson. There's no way hes a top 5 player in the NHL the way he played last year. The Sens need to trade him now, while hes value is still high.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Im telling you this team will be better moving forward without Karlsson. There's no way hes a top 5 player in the NHL the way he played last year. The Sens need to trade him now, while hes value is still high.

Unless he somehow never healed from his surgery, that's just plain wrong. He was already getting back to normal during the last month or two of play.

You always lose when you trade an elite top-5 player. Nothing can match his value unless it's for another player of his caliber, which we wouldn't get because we're looking to SAVE MONEY. This isn't about the future.

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Wrong. I didn't think that was the right way to do things & I still don't but I have said on many occasions I wished that he would sell the team. I'm not a fan of EM.

So you cared more about how to get the message out than you do what hapohapwithh our generational talent? Okay...

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
at the rate this is going since GMPD took over (I dont really blame him actually, I blame Melnyk), were gonna sell Karlsson for 2-2nd, a B Prospect, a cap dump & plus some shares in the other owner's company.... this gong show is getting ridiculous

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
at the rate this is going since GMPD took over (I dont really blame him actually, I blame Melnyk), were gonna sell Karlsson for 2-2nd, a B Prospect, a cap dump & plus some shares in the other owner's company.... this gong show is getting ridiculous

And don't forget we'll swap 6th's for 5th's all day......

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

I mean I don't completely blame him and from all accounts he's probably a very nice guy in real life. But let's say with the restrictions that Melnyk puts on him is enough to upgrade his ranking from worst GM to like 3rd worst. Yzerman might seem cold and aloof in real life, but he gets the job done.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Trading Hoffman is not going to help keep Karlsson. He wants to win, Dorion is still listening to offers, the team has no path to a championship.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He is staying now. (Or I know nothing about life on earth)

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Karlsson has no choice but to stay for this season. He is under contract.

Pretty sure that EK65 has held talks with the GM and Senators management, and both have an understanding of his wishes concerning his future expectations on a number of issues including salary and whether or not he want to stay of be traded.

If his desire is to play elsewhere, the Senators will trade him within the next month, and they will not force him to play out the next season in Ottawa.

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
Ahh yes that model. Be the lowest-spending team in the league but be a perennial contender at the same time...

Which team was it again that successfully did this?
Oakland A's? almost...

but ya I get what you're saying. I just can't help trying to be positive among all this negativity. I've grown accustomed to Karl.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Pretty sure that EK65 has held talks with the GM and Senators management, and both have an understanding of his wishes concerning his future expectations on a number of issues including salary and whether or not he want to stay of be traded.

If his desire is to play elsewhere, the Senators will trade him within the next month, and they will not force him to play out the next season in Ottawa.
Context is important. I was responding to a poster who claimed that EK will not be here in September if Melnyk is still here.
If EK knows an ownership change is in the works he could stay for this seasom to see if it plays out according to plan.

If he indicates he is testing free agency and won't sign with anyone till he gets there, then the Sens would wise to hold on to him until the TDL.

His value won't change much up or down as a rental and he'll help them keep the Avs odds if getting a top pick lower.

So there are some scenarios where EK is still here in Sept with Eugene owning the team.

Last edited:

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
From our cup run we have lost three top six forwards (Hoffman/Brassard/MacArthur/Turris) and two top four defenceman (Phaneuf/Methot)

We gained Duchene and Chabot but that’s not enough for EK to want to stay IMO. We’ve become a much worse team.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well step 1 complete.

Karlsson wanted Hoffman gone and its happened.

And I am confident contract talks between Dorion and Karlssons agent haven't been a disaster or we'd know.

If Karlsson stays despite everything, and I think he will, then that is a big deal for this franchise. I just can't imagine we don't do it unless we get an insane offer for Karlsson.

I can imagine some really good realistic offers that I would trade Karlsson for.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Karlsson will re-sign if he knows new ownership is in place or about to happen.

You can bet Kalrsson has had a few deep conversations with his mentor Alfie who knows what it is like to play in a respected organization even if it was only for a short time.
I agree Sensung. There is no way he will be here as long as Melnyk owns the team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
From our cup run we have lost three top six forwards (Hoffman/Brassard/MacArthur/Turris) and two top four defenceman (Phaneuf/Methot)

We gained Duchene and Chabot but that’s not enough for EK to want to stay IMO. We’ve become a much worse team.

#Dorion

And people actually want this bafoon to be the one that trades him.

Id rather watch him here for one more season holding out hope that there is new ownership. If they lose him for nothing they lose him for nothing, it will be better than finishing dead last without the sens first round pick with Dorion getting raked over the coals again.

Keep in mind its a contract year Karlsson is gonna have a hell of a season.

I do not want him traded period. Not by Pierre Dorion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->