How to get useless plugs/goons out of the NHL

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I don't know the logistics of it all, but I think there has to be a solution out there where players are suspended for 10 games per fight if their average ice time-per-game is not over 10 minutes (your average, average player).

This means that players like Iggy, Lucic, McQuaid (just examples on Boston) are not effected by the new rule at all, but talentless 4th line plugs are completely run out of the league.

This would be easy to implement. We are seeing all kinds of rules out there right now to try and limit fighting in an attempt to hurt the goons. We don't need to limit fighting, we need to limit it to players who can fight and not UFC level players like Scott (these are the guys who will kill someone one day).

Thoughts?
Is there a better solution?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
The game has been naturally going away from goons for a while now (except for maybe a minor resurgence lately). Lots of NHL teams are without one. OHL hockey has killed the production of goons/heavyweight fighters with their helmet rules and now the ten fight per season rule. The OHL and the WHL have been traditionally the breeding ground of these guys traditionally and if they aren't getting jobs in the OHL they won't be getting pro hockey gigs. In the end it's up to coaches/GMs and their decision of is it worth to give this guy an NHL spot so he can fight/hurt people?

Last edited:

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Colt, you are awesome and the answer is 20+ game suspensions. 5 games in a 82 game season is a nice vacation, 20+ games off is a real hit to the $$$$ in their pocket.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't know the logistics of it all, but I think there has to be a solution out there where players are suspended for 10 games per fight if their average ice time-per-game is not over 10 minutes (your average, average player).

This means that players like Iggy, Lucic, McQuaid (just examples on Boston) are not effected by the new rule at all, but talentless 4th line plugs are completely run out of the league.

This would be easy to implement. We are seeing all kinds of rules out there right now to try and limit fighting in an attempt to hurt the goons. We don't need to limit fighting, we need to limit it to players who can fight and not UFC level players like Scott (these are the guys who will kill someone one day).

Thoughts?

I say anyone is allowed 3 fights in a season... after that suspensions start getting handed out for fights that are staged or instigated...

Guys that average more than 10 mins of icetime are allowed 6 fights before facing suspension.

Suspensions for guys that dont average 10 mins should last 3/5/7/9/11 games and so on for each fight. Guys who do average 10 mins just get a one game suspension.

I dont want to take fighting out of the game if a fight is required to keep a dirty player in line but when the minimum salary is over 1/2 million a season and goofballs like john scott want to keep their job then no amount of penalties suspensions or equalizers will stop them

So on top of individual fines you must penalize the team that employs these meatheads so whenever a fight suspension happens the team loses a roster spot.

How long will scott have a job if he is only allowed 3 fights before buffalo starts playing 17 skaters?
(Oh wait they already do when he dresses)

Most teams arent so gutless though and will stop dressing meat.

Bring back the days of oreilly and holmgren and fergerson and gilliess and probert when the toughest player in the league could play top line minuets too

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
For every hit that these non-intelligent players like Scott do like tonight, you suspend them 10-30 games in the season and if their team make the playoffs, you force them to play 20-25min per game for the entire 1st round...

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Thoughts?

it starts with getting rid of fans who constantly insist on their team signing goons like Orr and McGrattan....oh wait

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
For every hit that these non-intelligent players like Scott do like tonight, you suspend them 10-30 games in the season and if their team make the playoffs, you force them to play 20-25min per game for the entire 1st round...

LOL :)

Best conclusion I'Ve read on this board. That would be very fun to see Orr and McLaren go for a 25 minutes .... jeez thay would be exhausted!!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I say anyone is allowed 3 fights in a season... after that suspensions start getting handed out for fights that are staged or instigated...

Guys that average more than 10 mins of icetime are allowed 6 fights before facing suspension.

Suspensions for guys that dont average 10 mins should last 3/5/7/9/11 games and so on for each fight. Guys who do average 10 mins just get a one game suspension.

I dont want to take fighting out of the game if a fight is required to keep a dirty player in line but when the minimum salary is over 1/2 million a season and goofballs like john scott want to keep their job then no amount of penalties suspensions or equalizers will stop them

So on top of individual fines you must penalize the team that employs these meatheads so whenever a fight suspension happens the team loses a roster spot.

How long will scott have a job if he is only allowed 3 fights before buffalo starts playing 17 skaters?
(Oh wait they already do when he dresses)

Most teams arent so gutless though and will stop dressing meat.

Bring back the days of oreilly and holmgren and fergerson and gilliess and probert when the toughest player in the league could play top line minuets too

Only problem with limiting the number is that once a good player like Lucic gets one below the limit, he'll be unmercilessly cheat shotted and goaded into taking that last fight to get him suspended.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
it starts with getting rid of fans who constantly insist on their team signing goons like Orr and McGrattan....oh wait

I don't think we should have nukes in the world, but if a different country has one than I sure as hell want my country having them too.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Thoughts?

Glad you asked

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/ohl-s-ten-fight-rule-one-year-later

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Only problem with limiting the number is that once a good player like Lucic gets one below the limit, he'll be unmercilessly cheat shotted and goaded into taking that last fight to get him suspended.

He plays more then 10 mins so hes allowed to fight... just not allowed to stage fights or instigate

If hes responding to a cheapshot he will be allowed to beat the snot out of whoever is stupid enough to take him on with all the goons out of the game

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I like the 10 min. TOI avg. idea.

But what do they do at the beginning of the year or the first game for that particular player?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I like the 10 min. TOI avg. idea.

But what do they do at the beginning of the year or the first game for that particular player?

if it's a veteran player then go by last year's TOI stat. If it's a player's first game then let them be subject to the same punishment as the goons. Would prevent teams from calling up career-AHLers like a Bobby Robbins type to try and circumvent the rule, and they don't want the kids fighting anyway.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Honestly the solution is more simple than that.

You hold coaches and GM's responsible for the players they choose to put on the ice.

Whatever fine Scott get's Rolston and the GM should get at least the same if not double.

When the Penguins were trotting the predator out on the ice, Bylsma, Shero, and yes Mario himself should have been forking tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars out of their own pockets everytime that monster attacked.

Until we hold the people responsible for putting these guys on the ice responsible for their actions, nothing will change

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Honestly the solution is more simple than that.

You hold coaches and GM's responsible for the players they choose to put on the ice.

Whatever fine Scott get's Rolston and the GM should get at least the same if not double.

When the Penguins were trotting the predator out on the ice, Bylsma, Shero, and yes Mario himself should have been forking tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars out of their own pockets everytime that monster attacked.

Until we hold the people responsible for putting these guys on the ice responsible for their actions, nothing will change

Precisely.

Don't go looking for an exotic, rare zebra when there's a horse standing in the middle of the room.

The Sabres know full well what type of hockey "player" Scott is and what he brings to the table.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
To be fair, Colton Orr isn't really a goon. He isn't a scorer by any means, but he has been solid this year, we have been impressed.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
To be fair, Colton Orr isn't really a goon. He isn't a scorer by any means, but he has been solid this year, we have been impressed.

He played good for them in the playoffs last year when they knew he wouldn't be fighting, Scott would never make the playoff line-up.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
All of the league's worst cheap shot artists average more than 10 minutes a game. This is worse than the instigator rule.

spokedB

Aug 2, 2005
western Maine
Suspended without pay for as long as their victim is unable to play. If, like Matt Cooke, he hands a career, so be it - he can play pond hockey if he can find 12 year olds who don't know him.

Selke37

Bear since 1989
Dec 5, 2011
Bruins World
Suspension should also be based on the amount of the games the respective player was dressed.

If he would get a 10 game ban but was dressed only every third game the suspension should be multiplied by 3 (30 games ban).

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011

Shanahan: "When you make the playoffs we'll force you to play Scott for 20 minutes a game"

Rolston: "I fail to see the threat...."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad