How to get better at defense in NHL 13?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Just in general I find when playing HUT I can beat a person but when I go to offline and play the computer(well even online) everyone just skates around me in my zone and struggle to gain he offensive one when entering.

Any tips or pointers please would be nice.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Just in general I find when playing HUT I can beat a person but when I go to offline and play the computer(well even online) everyone just skates around me in my zone and struggle to gain he offensive one when entering.

Any tips or pointers please would be nice.

I struggle with this too, but have gotten better..

Just stay composed, try to stay in the lane and use poke check.
If you go for the big hit and miss, you're gonna be out of position and they're gonna beat you. Only go for the hit if you know you can line it up.

If they go around you, turn with them and keep them to the outside while giving a poke check. (watch out here though, if you poke too much or at the wrong time you'll end up with a tripping penalty)

Try not to lunge or lay down to block a shot too much..

Dont be predictable with your defense.. just like you dont want to be predictable with your offense.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I'll try to work on it I was just getting better at the last game but I've been struggling this game.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
^ If you're getting beat a lot cheat to the d zone more and just make sure you are always between the puck carrier and the net. Poke check a lot.
Like the other poster said don't go for a hit unless you know you can get it.
Also take a look at your skates and skating attributes. You might want to make some adjustments if you aren't turning fast enough of don't have enough acceleration/speed.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Keep trying to box the AI out before the blue line and eventually they'll just dump it after 5-10 seconds of trying to get past. As others have said, use the poke check a lot and keep your body in between the carrier and the net. Don't be tempted to make those big checks.

Also, try to use fast back-checkers as much as possible to ensure that you can quickly adapt to any moves that the AI tries to make past you. Don't switch to defenders unless absolutely necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad