How to fix Senators

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
There's nothing that can really be done about the owner.

I'd blow it all up, take back bad contracts, rehabs, anything you can cobble together to try and win enough games that, that pick next June doesn't look so bad. And/or possible flip at the TDL.

Also, get as much young talent and picks as possible along the way.

I'd also see if I could sign Voynov. If he never played in the league again I wouldn't care. He made his bed, he should sleep in it. The problem is, I doubt they could legally keep him out. So he will be back. The Sens PR is at rock bottom. A bit of excavation would probably not much matter. People's dislike of him will likely die down over the course of the first season. Then, maybe next summer, if the market is right, you deal him.

15 - 20 years ago hating you guys was a lot of fun. Now it just seems mean. Good luck with Geno.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
1. Trade Karlsson to get that Senator's 1st 2019 back with COL 1st 2019
2. Trade Duchene and get 2019 1st rounder and some additional picks or prospects.
3. Trade Stone's rights for 2019 1st rounder and some additional picks or prospects.
4. Trade Ryan for picks and prospects and keep some of his salary on Senators Cap.

You sound like our previous GM and his revolving door of players & coaches.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Tell Melnyk to give up his ownership rights, if that happened things would turn around so fast for this team IMO.

Can you expand on that?

What would a new owner do, that would turn things around?

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
If Melnyk doesn't leave, who else is going to work with a handicap and tolerate an owner like Melnyk? How many people have Melnyk hired and then left/resigned when they realized this organization cannot be fixed with its current owner? How do you attract top level GMs in our current state?

The scary part is that yes, while the on ice product suffers, this current climate damages this organization further every single day. It's hard to see how this organization can attract any type of talent, be it GMs/Coaches/Players, in the future.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Blow up the entire management and bench staff, send Melnyk to the moon.

That would be step 1 of a very, very long list

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Yes because tanking automatically gets us "Jack Hughes", who none of you can assure me will 100% become what he's projected to be.

Why are you guys making this so hard? Why are we trading all of our best players for futures?
No, you don't do any of that.
Keep Duchene, Karlsson, and Stone.
You improve from within since our owner is frugal. (Kind of a silver lining as it would suck to hand out contracts to the likes of Calvert, Beagle, Eriksson, Lucic in FA).

The Avs have our 1st rounder, so instead of folding or basically giving in to a horrible trade we do our best to finish in the top half of the standings. This team should not have a loser's mentality going in.

Reactions: topshelf15

Betax

Jun 25, 2018
We don't have visibility of what the locker room issues were, and who now has issues with who else. I think this needs to be addressed one way or another. Move out the most involved people (started with Hoffman, but I'm sure that is not the full issue), or bring in enough strong leaders to get people beyond this sort of issue. I mean, winning can heal a lot of wounds too, but I don't think that is going to happen in the short term.

This team is going to be short on talent and depth over the short term, then short on experience as young guys start moving into the line-up. So it becomes desperately important that the team is playing for each other, having pride in doing their best even when they are out-matched. If you bring young guys into a team with that atmosphere, pulling together for every small victory, all working hard for each other, it has a good chance to grow into something quite good.

You still need to draft and deal to get sufficient talent, a bunch of bums playing hard for each other will still be a bunch of bums. Bringing in fresh talent into a broken team isn't going to help much on its own, either. But building that all-for-one-and-one-for-all attitude and bringing in fresh talent though, even if the team is not good for some years it will build a solid foundation, and fans will back a team like that.

I do think that Melnyck selling, and new owners bringing in a veteran and respected hockey person as president or director of hockey operations, and them re-building the front office and coaching staff, would also be a big part of that solution. When people have faith in the leadership then personal issues are less apt to fester in the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad