How to fix salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

shOOt_the_mOOn

Jul 12, 2004
Let me preface this idea with the statement that it will never happen.

But here goes just for fun:

All NHL players begin their career with the same base salary.

A fixed increment is added to each salary for every year playing in the NHL. (ie. Players start at $500,00, an additional $100,000 added each year spent in the NHL so a player who has spent 5 years in the league would make $1 million).

Incentives are built in to contracts. These incentives would have to reflect differences in position (ie. Forwards could be looking at goals, assists, points per game etc., while defensemen may be looking at plus minus, minutes played, and goalies for GAA, Shut outs etc).

Any player would be free to sign endorsement deals to suppliment their income. If a player is truly an "elite" player, he should have no problem signing deals and doing TV/Media endorsements.

I'm just sick of seeing players put up eye popping stats in their "contract year" only to mail in their efforts after signing the big deal.

Once again, just food for thought although it would never ever happen.

Feb 12, 2003
I've long thought that guaranteed contracts should be much lower, and that the real money should be made with bonuses. I think you run into a lot of problems if you make all the bonuses individual like many of the stats suggested. I think it can also be good to add incentive for being on a winning team as well as winning in the playoffs. You have enough players that are coasting because they have the big contract, and if they had a chance to earn an extra million for something, they may put forth extra effort.

It's something I'd love to see addressed in the next CBA. Perhaps a maximum contract amount, with a standard set of agreed upon bonuses areas like wins, stats, playoff success.

Keep in mind that even the pluggers have to find a way to contribute, and these guys can be vital to a teams success. You wouldn't want to punish the players who play hard but are not statistical producers.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
This has been brought up a couple of times. There's too many holes in it for it to work.
There's nowhere in it to account for intangibles (ie Yzerman doesn't put up the points anymore, but his leadership is worth a lot).
It also would lead to selfish play as everybody would only be concerned about their stats all the time.
It just doesn't work as there are too many factors out of a player's control (ie what line they're on, who their line mates are, etc...) and they would constantly be upset over ice time, power play time, etc...
It also leads to suspect areas where teams could limit players opportunities as the season winds down in order to limit their salary.

Feb 12, 2003
alexmorrison said:
This has been brought up a couple of times. There's too many holes in it for it to work.
There's nowhere in it to account for intangibles (ie Yzerman doesn't put up the points anymore, but his leadership is worth a lot).
It also would lead to selfish play as everybody would only be concerned about their stats all the time.
It just doesn't work as there are too many factors out of a player's control (ie what line they're on, who their line mates are, etc...) and they would constantly be upset over ice time, power play time, etc...
It also leads to suspect areas where teams could limit players opportunities as the season winds down in order to limit their salary.
Yeah, that's why I say it's something that you would have to include some intangibles that aren't always statistical. Using your point on an Yzerman or Messier, you could get a bonus for wearing the C perhaps.

shOOt_the_mOOn

Jul 12, 2004
I completely agree with your thoughts folks.

My bottom line was to try and figure out a way to get players motivated "each and every year" but that would also be fair.

You all have made excellent points. My original suggestions were just a couple of quick ideas.

I'm curious to see what some of these "intangibles" might be that Converse brought up.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Converse said:
Yeah, that's why I say it's something that you would have to include some intangibles that aren't always statistical. Using your point on an Yzerman or Messier, you could get a bonus for wearing the C perhaps.
Yeah, there's just too many different intangibles to quantify them all.
Tie Domi is not a captain in Toronto (nor should he be), but he's loved by the fans and he's very active in the community. This raises his value to the team but can't there's no real way to measure it.
How about a Mike Peca? A defensive forward of his calibre is very valuable to a team. You can't pay him based solely off his point production.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
alexmorrison said:
This raises his value to the team but can't there's no real way to measure it.

2 good examples. But the way to measure value is the marketplace, n'est ce pas?. The marketplace has determined their values.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
thinkwild said:
2 good examples. But the way to measure value is the marketplace, n'est ce pas?. The marketplace has determined their values.
That's what I was trying to say, but the point of this thread was to somehow tie salaries to a player's performance which is why I made the two examples where performance/a players worth to the team can't always be easily measured.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
They were good examples, I agree. Someone will obviously suggest though that Peca set the market at a time and age when it wasnt appropriate. The rejected offers already fixed that though.

When reading your examples though, you also seem to make a good case as to why performance bonuses arent good at all.

Under the old system, there are really at least 2 distinct salaries: RFA and UFA. They are quite differently measured and determined. IF we could fix the RFA system, say by lowering all current salaries and comparables for the future to re-establish it, and then FORCE every player into arbitration while RFA's once it is on an accepted schedule to stabilize it, then we I think we come to a spot where we can allow UFA salaries to be freely set without removing competitive balance, even though we allow wildly different cost models for teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->