How to Eliminate Tanking

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I don't know where this mindset came from that franchises that acquire high draft picks and win championships are somehow cheating the system, are lazy, or "aren't building right". It's flat out incorrect, and there is very real work to be done to build a championship team outside of drafting high.

The system doesn't need to be changed anymore than it already has.
Exactly. There is no guaranteed winning just because you draft high. Getting to the top of this league is mostly brute hard work and tedious building over time. I think people who have this fear of tanking think it's some mystical magical way out there, to get to the top of this league. It's just not there.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Meh, should get rid of the lottery altogether. 1st pick should go to last overall team as it used to. You can tweak it by not having the same team getting 1st pick 2 yrs. in a row.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I like the NBA system. Who would not be excited when a number 1 seed in their conference would win the lottery and pick first?

That's exciting.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I like the NBA system. Who would not be excited when a number 1 seed in their conference would win the lottery and pick first?

That's exciting.

That didn't happen because if the NBA lottery, it happened because the worst team in the league had traded away 4 future 1st round draft picks to much better run franchise and now it's biting them in the butt

Also, nobody is excited about that but Boston Celtics fans

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
That didn't happen because if the NBA lottery, it happened because the worst team in the league had traded away 4 future 1st round draft picks to much better run franchise and now it's biting them in the butt

Also, nobody is excited about that but Boston Celtics fans

I don't know how someone is put in a position of power and allowed to make decisions that stupid. Not sure if the culture of the NBA is different, but if that happened in the NHL, then the GM would be fired on the spot and publicly ridiculed (as they should be). Trading an unprotected pick, let alone multiple picks with a draft lottery structure is beyond stupid.

Even if that were the structure of the NBA/NHL, "exciting" is not a word I'd use to describe it. Stupid and idiotic are words I would use. Teams that are part of the final 4 at the end of the year don't need, and shouldn't get top picks over franchises that are struggling financially and competitively.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
You've found a video I've already watched. Good for you?

I never said tanking never happens ever or in what capacity. There are instances of situations like that happening, and you found one of them. How much it actually happens and to the degree it does is what I contest.

It really isn't a serious issue if it is even one at all. The actual cases where you can legitimately make an argument for it happening are few and far between, and one of the things that kills me about these tanking arguments are how people pick an choose what is and isn't tanking based on who's in the draft, whether or not they like the team/consider them rivals, if the team actually gets the coveted player, and a bunch of other irrelevant reasons. It's a highly opinionated discussion more so than it is based in actual fact.

Also, who documented what in relation to Buffalo/Toronto "tanking"? If you mean fans and the media went crazy those years towards both teams then yes, that did happen. No one from the NHL front offices, those teams, or anyone of legitimate importance "documented" or acknowledged anything in that regard.

The Lemieux tank was the most obvious because it was a guarantee, you finish last you get Lemieux.

The next most obvious was Buffalo. They knew it was McDavid or Eichel. Guaranteed.

Absolutely tanking increases with greater incentive to do so. There are 2 incentives to tank.

1) The player (can't do anything about that)
2) The odds. That is what can and has been fixed to help eliminate tanking. Lets see how it works next time we have a superstar in the draft.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
The real question here is how do we eliminate how to eliminate tanking threads?

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
The Lemieux tank was the most obvious because it was a guarantee, you finish last you get Lemieux.

The next most obvious was Buffalo. They knew it was McDavid or Eichel. Guaranteed.

Absolutely tanking increases with greater incentive to do so. There are 2 incentives to tank.

1) The player (can't do anything about that)
2) The odds. That is what can and has been fixed to help eliminate tanking. Lets see how it works next time we have a superstar in the draft.

How often does this legitimately happen though? And really what is the difference between a really crappy team and a team that is intentionally loosing? Buffalo was legitimately that bad in 2015, but had made improvements on the previous year, and was actually in a position to push for a playoff spot before they went on the horrid loosing streak.

The only years off the top of my head you can legitimately make a case for a team(s) tanking is the years you have mentioned, and the Diagle draft. (Interesting no one has brought that up as an example. Could be that no one cares because the player busted?)

It isn't nearly the issue people think it is, and it doesn't require flipping the system on its head just to appease some fans that are angrily misunderstanding what's going on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1