Speculation: How to coach the 2 best players in the NHL

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
There has been enough coaching change. It’s on the GM and the players to take this team to the next level. Can’t get anywhere with a defence that is inconsistent at defending and horrible at offence.

Reactions: MesstoFace11

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
You have McDavid, you have Draisaitl. If you screw it up you're fired, obviously. Tippett will be on a short leash next season. What should the game plan be?
I would say coaching and the play of our stars got us firmly in the playoff spot we were in so I wouldn’t want them to change too much but one thing that bothered me was Tippit’s stubbornness in the playoffs. As soon as he put the DRY line together in game 4 near the end of the 3rd period they looked almost unstoppable. Too little too late.

Reactions: Oilers 322

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah, you bet! But I was thinking of discussing coaching more than GM. I agree tho.

I don’t necessary think Tippett is on a short leash. He did a tremendous job improving the special team and honestly that was the only difference between the team this year and last. It took a historic PP to bring this team into a playoff spot before the stoppage. They need to improve their even strength drastically. I think the biggest problem with this team can be traced back to the skill set of individual players instead of a structure issue. Our Dmen are fumbling the puck under pressure because they don’t have the IQ, vision, and skills necessary to make a quick, safe pass or protect the puck and slow the play down.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I don’t necessary think Tippett is on a short leash. He did a tremendous job improving the special team and honestly that was the only difference between the team this year and last. It took a historic PP to bring this team into a playoff spot before the stoppage. They need to improve their even strength drastically. I think the biggest problem with this team can be traced back to the skill set of individual players instead of a structure issue. Our Dmen are fumbling the puck under pressure because they don’t have the IQ, vision, and skills necessary to make a quick, safe pass or protect the puck and slow the play down.
Maybe Tippett won't be on a short leash if he can fix some of the things you mentioned.

"Our Dmen are fumbling the puck under pressure because they don’t have the IQ, vision, and skills necessary to make a quick, safe pass or protect the puck and slow the play down"

Now, I hate to place blame but it sounds like they need some coaching.

Reactions: Aerchon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Maybe Tippett won't be on a short leash if he can fix some of the things you mentioned.

"Our Dmen are fumbling the puck under pressure because they don’t have the IQ, vision, and skills necessary to make a quick, safe pass or protect the puck and slow the play down"

Now, I hate to place blame but it sounds like they need some coaching.
It sounds like you're blaming the wrong coach then.

Tippett absolutely wont be on a short leash, it's even laughable to suggest that.

Reactions: fresh meat and TB12

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Tippet is going to have an extremely long leash for at least a couple more years. He had the team playing some good hockey this year, They ran into a hotter/more experienced team. The team needs some stability, THE PLAYERS need stability. It's all on Holland to patch the boat and get it steering in the right direction

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You have McDavid, you have Draisaitl. If you screw it up you're fired, obviously. Tippett will be on a short leash next season. What should the game plan be?

Tippett isn't on a short leash but does need to be called out for a lot of very obviously bad decisions. Much like McLellan wasn't called out and the team turned its back in expect the same could happen to Tippet.

Tippett needs to back off and support Koskinen. He went to Smith far too often and it did embarrass him. That's on him.

He needs to coach McDrai to be responsible 2 way players. He is not currently.

He needs to get keep the dry line together no matter how much McDavid whines.

But he did improve the team significantly and deserves credit as well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I understand that. But wrap your head around the question I asked. It's crazy.
A team is more than 2 players. That is what you need to wrap your head around. The game plan is to surround them with better players. Coaching is not the issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->