How To Buy Hockey Skates

Alain Racette

Jun 18, 2005
Hey all. I've decided to take up some skating and need some hints before I go buy a decent used pair.

Can anyone give me advice on what to look for, how to try them, etc? Many thanks.

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
I would advise you to go new.

Go to a hockey store and get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing, even if you don't buy those skates you know what good fitting skates will feel like.

You say you are taking up skating...are you looking to start playing? If you just want to skate then you could get a low-end skate and that would work well for you..

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Never make the mistake of not checking your size with someone who would know. The worst feeling in the world will be when you have skates that are too big.

Methane

Jan 14, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
kinnee.net
If you are set on playing I'd say get the best pair YOU can AFFORD. I am NOT saying to go buy a pair of One90s just because they are the hottest thing out now. Make sure they fit and fit well, go to your local shop if there is one. If you can, buy there. Most of the time you'll end up sitting there trying 3 or more skates types or brands, plus they may throw in a bake and sharpening if you buy them.

As for buying the nicest pair you can afford, if you are serious they will last quite a while and you won't regret them later when you start wanting higher end ones. I wasted lots of money buying cheapo stuff only to want nicer gear later.

Just my $.02.

Last edited:

VisionQuest*

I agree with Methane.

Criteria #1 is Fit. How do they feel on YOUR feet? You should find a low-mid level skate that does feel good on your feet. If someone brings you a 12D bauer and brings you the same size RBK/CCM skate, youre in the wrong place. Make sure they understand that sizing varies from brand to brand.

Criteria #2 is $ Ask for all the closeout skates first. This is a very good time of year to find a lot of excellent 06 skates for good prices, you should be able to find one that fits criteria #1.

For the record, I play out 2-3 times a week and have been in the same CCM 1152 custom tacks I got on closeout in late 2003 and they still feel great.

notmynhl

Jan 30, 2007
Vancouver
Good advice from everyone. Regarding Fit, get the smallest size you can comfortably wear...tighter is better. If you think you've found the right pair, spend at least 10 or 15 minutes walking around the store. If your feet are OK after that, you've got your skate.

BTW "35 and 14", thats a great idea about looking into closeout sales. I'm getting my daughter her first pair of skates tomorrow...so closeout sales it is!

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
If you want to take full advantage of getting some good deals online, here's what you do.

Go to any pro shop that sells skates.

Try on different pairs for different brand. For each brand, write down which size fits you right, because their sizes are different(for instance, Mission skates' size match your regular shoe size(a Mission size 9 is a real size 9), while most skates will be smaller (a CCM size 8 may be a real size 9). So take notes as to which size fits best.

Then, go online, and order the skates. Match up the brand with the size that fits you best, and enjoy the savings. I did that with Mission skates and they feel great.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
If you want to take full advantage of getting some good deals online, here's what you do.

Go to any pro shop that sells skates.

Try on different pairs for different brand. For each brand, write down which size fits you right, because their sizes are different(for instance, Mission skates' size match your regular shoe size(a Mission size 9 is a real size 9), while most skates will be smaller (a CCM size 8 may be a real size 9). So take notes as to which size fits best.

Then, go online, and order the skates. Match up the brand with the size that fits you best, and enjoy the savings. I did that with Mission skates and they feel great.

If you do that, don't go to the guy who you may need service from in the future. You may not like what you get. Spend the extra money to get your first skates from a reputable pro shop. Yes, you will pay more, but you'll also come out with skates that fit properly along with future support in the event you have problems.

VisionQuest*

If you do that, don't go to the guy who you may need service from in the future. You may not like what you get. Spend the extra money to get your first skates from a reputable pro shop. Yes, you will pay more, but you'll also come out with skates that fit properly along with future support in the event you have problems.

and possibly free sharpenings for life, depending on the shop.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey

True. I play roller hockey though so I really don't need sharpenings. Not to mention those places I have bought lots of stuff from already(just about all of my hockey gear except for my gloves, jersey, and sticks). So hopefully they'll see me as a decent customer. As for wheels, I buy them online also cause they're easy to replace. But yes, that's definitely a good point.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
id skip used skates. im a goalie, have been since i was 9 years old. I pulled my groin 2 months ago, and after taking a week off started playing forward (less stress on the groin). my buddy gave me a used pair of ccm 852's. $360 skate, but gives me crazy blisters on my heel cause they werent broken in to my feet.

so I just bought a pair. go to hockey websites like hockeygiant, icewarehouse, etc. they have cheap stuff. get fitted, find your brand, size and width, and go from there. i prefer ccm, sz 8, d width, but i was thinking about going to Graf for goal skates, in which i'd need an 8.5 or a 9.

i avoid bauers, they're shaped different than what I'm used to, and also I don't want the bauer bone (calcium deposits in the heel)

its all personal preference, and based ony our foot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad