Proposal: How to beat the trap

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
A little late now but this would be my way of beating the trap. They should use the flip/lob option that they were trying during the year to create chaos/wreak havoc with their D. The D man flips the puck high up and lands it near their D. The forwards get a skating start and destroy the Dmen as they fumble around with puck. This strategy should be used especially in the first couple of games to wear down the opponent. Dress 2 lines of bangers and let them loose.

I know it sounds simple and stupid but if you don't have the skill players to break the trap then you have to try something different or else we get this unwatchable quagmire that we have been witnessing.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
A little late now but this would be my way of beating the trap. They should use the flip/lob option that they were trying during the year to create chaos/wreak havoc with their D. The D man flips the puck high up and lands it near their D. The forwards get a skating start and destroy the Dmen as they fumble around with puck. This strategy should be used especially in the first couple of games to wear down the opponent. Dress 2 lines of bangers and let them loose.

I know it sounds simple and stupid but if you don't have the skill players to break the trap then you have to try something different or else we get this unwatchable quagmire that we have been witnessing.

Well put!

Unfortunately since the league abandoned its post-lockout standard for obstruction after all the concussions, even skill doesn't guarantee beating the trap.

I admit to coming from a standpoint of having sour grapes with how this series has transpired, so my suggestions are a tad salty. But here goes.

Flop.

Since you can neither pass nor skate through the 1-3-1, get a head of steam, dump it in the corner, and when the defender bumps, fall over and writhe like you've 'Just been shot,' as Jack Edwards would say.

I know, the B's would either not get the call or get a matching embellishment.

My other suggestion is in the Peter Laviolette style of mocking the trap (and admittedly not realistic). Only instead of of sitting on the puck, I'd approach it like a football kickoff. Drop all 5 skaters back, let them get a massive running start, then dump it in. The defenders being mostly flat-footed, would either lose the race or sustain serious bodily contact.

Sure it would look foolish, and Boucher showed Laviolette you aren't going to embarrass him out of playing the trap.

But at least it might be mildly entertaining. ;)

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I feel like one tactic we should use is the same one the Flyers did to us when Rask was in net.

Pronger from his own end would always take a slap shot and put it right on net with guys like Carter, Gagne, Richards skating full speed into the zone cause havoc.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I feel like one tactic we should use is the same one the Flyers did to us when Rask was in net.

Pronger from his own end would always take a slap shot and put it right on net with guys like Carter, Gagne, Richards skating full speed into the zone cause havoc.

I think I would like to see something similar. timing play to have three forwards cross blue line as a slap shot is sent in. With only 1 d back it would be tough to get the icing call/

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Speed, and our current roster has little of it, thankfully, it appears DS and company see how mandatory it is to have a team who can play fast looking at the draft picks, forwards and D

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
They just need to dump it soft into the corner so Anderson can't play the puck and make the dmen turn around. Anderson ruins wayyyy too many dump ins by handling the puck as playing it to an open dmen

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
You know what didn't work at all last game? That stretch pass bomb. How much did that connect? 5%? God awful.

Use the methods you have the personel for. Liles and company aren't hitting that pass for ****.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Dump and chase at every opportunity for 2 periods,forcing the Sens D to chase the puck over and over again. Everytime the red line is gained,dump it,no stickhandling,nothing but dumping. Evaluate where the score is after 2 and revert back to normal hockey on a hopefully tired D if the game is still in doubt. If it's working,stick to the plan. I have nothing else,unless we have a miraculous talent upgrade. The dumps should be just close enough to Anderson to tempt him,over and over.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
The dump and chase has not been working, either they need to overload a side or delay the entry with a late drop pass. Ott skates way too fast to try and beat them at the speed game.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not sure if it helps with the trap but somehow forcing Anderson to play the puck is a good thing, he`s not adept at it, this team can`t dump and chase IMO, too slow, they could give a few problems for a chip/chase as there`s less distance to go to retrieve the puck though

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
not sure if it helps with the trap but somehow forcing Anderson to play the puck is a good thing, he`s not adept at it, this team can`t dump and chase IMO, too slow, they could give a few problems for a chip/chase as there`s less distance to go to retrieve the puck though

My primary goal would not be retrieval,it would be fatigue and frustration and maybe an error,maybe loosen the lock. It would be sucky to watch,kind of like the end of a game when the winning team keeps icing the puck .

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
The way to beat the trap is have more than 1 line that can actually create offense. 2011 they scored 3 goals a game against the trap against an infinitely greater team. This is not an xo thing, it's a talent and execution thing.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Maybe if they could get to Anderson quick enough to pressure him it would work based on that one mistake he made but the Hard arounds from the red line is basically a give away. He's way better than rask at handling the puck which is why rask rarely ventures back there.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Speed, and our current roster has little of it, thankfully, it appears DS and company see how mandatory it is to have a team who can play fast looking at the draft picks, forwards and D

That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Bingo.

Doesn't matter which way you approach the neutral zone if you have a bunch of slugs on offense and your D core is filled with injuries.

/thread

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
It's all about speed and skill. Speedy and skilled teams don't have as much problem beating the trap. The lack of Krug has been a big reason the Bs have been struggling, but there is something else as well. Some of the Bs d-men have been doing a decent of trying to push the puck up the ice to beat the trap, however many times they make a good accurate pass into the neutral zone and the forwards fumble it away or take the puck and turn it over. The sheer sloppiness of the forwards has every bit as much hurt the beating of the trap as the lack of speed. Certainly a combo of several things. I like Cassidy's strategy to beat the trap. I don't like the execution. And it's not just the bottom 6 struggling. Pasta, for example, has been abysmal against the trap.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Dump and chase at every opportunity for 2 periods,forcing the Sens D to chase the puck over and over again. Everytime the red line is gained,dump it,no stickhandling,nothing but dumping. Evaluate where the score is after 2 and revert back to normal hockey on a hopefully tired D if the game is still in doubt. If it's working,stick to the plan. I have nothing else,unless we have a miraculous talent upgrade. The dumps should be just close enough to Anderson to tempt him,over and over.

As I've been thinking about this, your solution is the one that I came up with too. The other part is to try and hit the d-men too. Wear 'em out, wear 'em down!
The opening statement is also one that makes sense to some degree. Flip it over everyone and create chaos. We need a different approach to the next game, one that is heavy on chaos.
Chaos is our friend!:popcorn:

Jack Edwards said last night that the Sens have figured out the B's set plays and are prepared for them and are foiling them...
Chaos!

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

CHAO: When all else fails!

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
Like we said screw the skill, play the bangers against the trap. Kuraly, Acciari and Backes were punishing the Sens. More of that. Bring up Blidh for 46.

You're welcome Bruce.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Game 3, chipped and chased and brought back a 3 goal deficit. Should have won, did the same tonight and won. That is the way you beat this ****** trap game and hopefully they do it from the first perion in Game 6 and get up early.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Game 3, chipped and chased and brought back a 3 goal deficit. Should have won, did the same tonight and won. That is the way you beat this ****** trap game and hopefully they do it from the first perion in Game 6 and get up early.

Yup. And avoid too many icings, that just breaks up flow and for some reason faceoffs hasn't been a plus this series. Dump instead of trying the Hail Mary pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad