How tight should skates be at the store?

adaptation

Jan 3, 2011
I tried some skates today at the store, and i tried

6.5d Vaporx40
6.0d RBK 7k

The vaporx40 was interesting because my foot did get numb after 5minute(no pain, just slightly numb, but i didn't know if it was because the skate needs to form to my foot, or the fact that i was wearing 2 pair of socks(bad move there), or was it simply too small and i should have went 6.5e.

The same thing with the 7k, it was long enough but it was slightly to tight, so my feet started getting slightly cold.

Is this normal at the beginning, or should my feet be all good right off the bat? Im also aware the the 2 socks were not the best move, but still i wasen't sure if its normal that the feets a little numb after 5-10 minutes.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Numb = too tight. You don't want numb feet.

Do you have wide feet? If the length of the skates are fine (see: toes feathering the toe cap when standing up, not mashed against the end but not an inch short of touching) you might try on a wide size of skate (EE instead of D.)

Also, go back and try skates on again with ONE pair of thin socks on. You want the least amount of extra space inside the boot. You're not going to get a good fit with two pairs of socks on. You should also try on every skate they have in your size, from any brand, as long as it's within your budget. Different skates have different fits. Keep trying new skates on until he's shown you all the models they carry in your size and price range. CCM, Easton, Bauer Supreme and Bauer Flexlite seem to be the wider skates so try those on as well.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As already stated, try on skates with just 1 pair of thin socks (that's how you should skate in them too). Try on multiple brands, see if you can get a good, snug (but not painful/numb) feeling out of a regular skate width in any given brand, if not then you can try on wide skates. Most importantly go to a shop with a really good employee who will take the time to fit you properly.

adaptation

Jan 3, 2011
then indeed im certain that i should have went EE or E(whatever wider then D is.) As for the double sock yes i realise i should have put only one.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Well you want to make sure you have the right heel lock too, if you go too wide of a skate you might lose that. Vapors are fairly narrow skates too, so you should try on Supremes and CCM's, and also bonus points for getting fitted properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad