How this will play out tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Write down your take in here about how this will all play out tomorrow. The winner (with the right story) will receive an Eklund's Blog Award for best source material. ;)

Here's my take:
Feb 15th
11am - There is still no agreement, Gary Bettman cancels the season
4pm - After a few hours of p***ing and moaning, the players tell the NHL that they will accept their final offer.
9pm - The NHL says that if they can complete the CBA before the weekend, there might be a season.
Feb 21st
11am - Gary Bettman announces that there will be a season after all, starting on March 7th with an immediate short 2 weeks training camp.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bettman walks to the mike and Bob tackles him yelling, "I'll take $40, 38 anything."

Well not really, but it would be funny

KOVALEV10*

Donnie D said:
Bettman walks to the mike and Bob tackles him yelling, "I'll take $40, 38 anything."

:lol

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
Feb 16th
9 am - Rumor leaks of a $46M offer from the players
10 am - NHL counters with a $44.5M offer
11 am - Talks resume, with rapid negotiations
1 pm - Nothing, press conference starts 15 minutes late
1:15 pm - Bettman announces deal, 28 game season

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Tomorrowing morning at the conference, Betteman walks up to the podium looking glum. Starts off in a bad tone then surprise announces that a deal has been made.

Old Hickory

eSabre said:
Feb 16th
9 am - Rumor leaks of a $46M offer from the players
10 am - NHL counters with a $44.5M offer
11 am - Talks resume, with rapid negotiations
1 pm - Nothing, press conference starts 15 minutes late
1:15 pm - Bettman announces deal, 28 game season
Mine was really close to that so I will have to make up a new one

Late Tonight
Betteman makes another final offfer of 43-44 million
7am- The players counter with 46 million
10- Betteman counters with 45 million and we have a season

Ironhorse

Oct 23, 2004
Donnie D said:

:bow: post of the evening!

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas
The Bob counter with a 47 million cap at around 10 in the morning.
Gary rejects no counter-proposal
Bob lowers the cap down to 46 as FINAL ULTIMATIUM at around 12 noon
Gary starts the press conference at 1:30 and rejects Bob's proposal and announces 'no progress has been made because of philosophical issues and the negotiating was pointless'

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
9 AM : Gary - 44 Mil
10 AM : Bob - 46 Mil
11 AM : Both - 45 mil
1 PM : Press Conference saying we're back
1:15 PM : McCabe, Modano, Chelios retract statements, re-inforce solidarity with the NHLPA

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Well, atleast we know it wont be Gary at the podium saying:

..."we continue to have strong philosphical differences and no future meetings are planned."

...sorry, bad joke.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

11:00am: Bettman cancels season.
11:02am: PA blames all problems and cancellation on the NHL, disavows any responsibility for lockout and situation and plays innocent.

Talks resume August 2006
Talks stop January 2007
Talks resume July 2007, PA accepts cap at 35m.

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
Grandpabuzz said:
Gary starts the press conference at 1:30 and rejects Bob's proposal and announces 'no progress has been made because of philosophical issues and the negotiating was pointless'

:D :D :D

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Donnie D said:

Great idea for a post-lockout commercial.

End it with the voiceover: "Hey, leave the fighting to the players."

KOVALEV10*

Bettman is about to cancel the season when Don Cherry comes in and takes his head off with a chair.

SENSible1*

Smail said:
Write down your take in here about how this will all play out tomorrow. The winner (with the right story) will receive an Eklund's Blog Award for best source material. ;)

Here's my take:
Feb 15th
11am - There is still no agreement, Gary Bettman cancels the season
4pm - After a few hours of p***ing and moaning, the players tell the NHL that they will accept their final offer.
9pm - The NHL says that if they can complete the CBA before the weekend, there might be a season.
Feb 21st
11am - Gary Bettman announces that there will be a season after all, starting on March 7th with an immediate short 2 weeks training camp.

Very likely scenario.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
8 AM : Gary - 42 Mil
9 AM : Bob - 47 Mil
10 AM : Gary - 42 Mil
10:30 AM : Bob - 45 Mil
11AM : Gary - 42 Mil
11:30 AM : Bob - 43 Mil
12 PM Gary - 42 Mil
12:45 Bob - ok, 36 Mil but that is my final offer
1:00 PM Gary Deal. You drive a hard bargain Bob.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
After publicly stating how hard it was to come to an agreement and shaking hands at the press conference, both Bettman and Goodenow walk off the stage and behind the curtain. Unfortunately, that is where a media intern accidentally left a microphone connected to the audio intercom in the room.

"Well, Bob, I think we did it."

"Great job, Gary. If it were up to me, you'd win the Oscar this year."

"Aww, thanks Bob. You weren't too shabby yourself."

"That final offer and the public letter... pure genius, Gary. I couldn't have done it better myself."

"Aw, shucks. You're making me blush."

*chuckles and laughs heard*

"Ahem... so... I'll see you in 6 years."

"Bob?"

"Yea?"

"Let's make that 5."

Minutes later Bob Goodenow and the PA announces a strike is commencing.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Bettman walks up to the mike, clears throat. A loud bark from somewhere in the back distracts the attention of reporters.

Golden hair flowing behind her like fine silk, Anastasia Priscilla walks to the podium as reporters step out of the way in awe.

Bumping the stand with her nose, Anastasia causes the microphone to fall to the floor.

"Dear friends" She begins, causing those gathered to drop their jaws.

"Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand signed the Collective Bargaining Agreement. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of NHL players who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of captivity. But one hundred years later, we must face the tragic fact that the NHL player is still not free.

Ten years later, the life of the NHL player is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. Ten years later, the NHL player lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. Ten years later, the NHL player is still languishing in the corners of American professional sports and finds himself an exile in his own land.

So we have come here today to dramatize an appalling condition. In a sense we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the CBA, they were signing a promissory note to which every NHL player and owner was to fall heir.

This note was a promise that all men would be guaranteed the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It is obvious today that the NHL has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of salary level are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, NHL owners have given the NHL members a bad check which has come back marked "insufficient funds." But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this league.

So we have come to cash this check -- a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice. We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind the NHL of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to open the doors of opportunity to all of God's children. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of the NHL player. This sweltering summer of the NHL player's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Two thousand and five is not an end, but a beginning. Those who hope that the NHL player needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the league returns to business as usual. There will be neither rest nor tranquility in the NHL until the player is granted his full earning rights.

The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges. But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. we must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.

The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the NHLPA member community must not lead us to distrust of all owners, for many of our owners, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny and their freedom is inextricably bound to our free...

Aww, dammit. Just accept the $42 million dollar cap and we'll be done with this awful business."

The eyes of all in attendance begin to well with tears.

"That was amazing." sighs Bettman, taking Goodenow in his grasp.

"Brother, let us be done with this."

And with that, the season is saved.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
I am hoping with every ounce of my being that they don't let this latest progress fall by the wayside and suggest to little to late. I want to believe that although Bettman said in his ridiculous DEAR BOB letter earlier today that 42.5 million is a take it or leave it number, that there still is some room for negotiation. I can't see the players taking that type of cap. Having said that, if Bettman sticks to his guns, this is the best deal the players are going to see, and should take it and move on.

What I think will happen...

They continue back and forth through most of the night, and the chess game ends in the wee hours with a DEAL!

$44 Million hard cap
1 week to get everyone up to speed, and players under contract
(Lets not forget, there are approximately 400 UFA)
2 week training camp

26-28 game schedule to begin on March 5th, 2005 including inter-conference play
Full playoffs - 4 rounds
Stanley Cup is awarded some time in early July
Place asterisk (*) where applicable
Parade to follow

But the best part is Hockey will be back, and it will start on time with training camp in September...

Get it done BOB & GARY for the love of GOD!

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
bettman takes to the podium and no one knows what he is going to announce when all of a sudden larry brooks emerges from the back of the press corps and opens up with and AK47 yelling 'DIE YOU ******* DIE!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad