News Article: How thehockywriters see the Jackets

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
f*** the media. Of course they're going to take the low hanging fruit and call us horrible after the UFAs left, instead of doing, you know, research.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've kind of been tearing into the writer behind those in the Goaltending and Defense threads he put out on the mains already. It's pathetically bad. He's vacillating between "proven > unproven" as a rule of thumb such that it applies to the Jackets for goaltending (but not to teams for which their goaltenders are "proven" to be g-dawful), ignores it for the defensemen for several other teams (Dante Fabbro and all those guys on the Flyers and Sabres are totally proven amirite) and treats it both ways for the Jackets by elevating "unproven" Gavrikov over "proven" Harrington and Kukan and then deducting points for Gavrikov's unproven status.

And when you call him out on this, his only defense is "agree to disagree" and pompous nonsense about how he's been a credentialed reporter for a decade and a half.

EDIT: Oh, and he also thinks having Nutivaara on the second pairing (as is normally the case when Murray is injured) is a drawback. Because reasons.

Reactions: GoJackets1

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I've kind of been tearing into the writer behind those in the Goaltending and Defense threads he put out on the mains already. It's pathetically bad. He's vacillating between "proven > unproven" as a rule of thumb such that it applies to the Jackets for goaltending (but not to teams for which their goaltenders are "proven" to be g-dawful), ignores it for the defensemen for several other teams (Dante Fabbro and all those guys on the Flyers and Sabres are totally proven amirite) and treats it both ways for the Jackets by elevating "unproven" Gavrikov over "proven" Harrington and Kukan and then deducting points for Gavrikov's unproven status.

And when you call him out on this, his only defense is "agree to disagree" and pompous nonsense about how he's been a credentialed reporter for a decade and a half.

EDIT: Oh, and he also thinks having Nutivaara on the second pairing (as is normally the case when Murray is injured) is a drawback. Because reasons.
Viqsi, we've both been around on this board for a long time, so I've seen my share of Viqsi-set fires and threatening baseball bat emojis, but I think this one takes the cake. :laugh: That was INTENSE. I agree with you 100% though, and Fabbro was something that stuck out to me as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He came out and admitted it.
I think you are underrating the losses of Bobrovsky and Panarin, while overrating those who remain on the roster. We all know Columbus has two studs on defence. Beyond that, who is going to score up front and more importantly who is going to stop the puck? Those are huge question marks and are reflected in these rankings. Time will tell.
(emphasis added)
Lazy lack of research confirmed.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
NHL.com - Stats

When you look at cumulative points totals over the past 2 seasons, the low ranking begins to make some sense.

Here's where individual CBJ stand in cumulative scoring for the past 2 seasons:

Atkinson (69)
PLD (83)
Nyquist (94)
Bjorkstrand (148)
Jenner (167)
Foligno (175)
Hopefully Wennberg (200)

I wouldn't expect any analysis to rate the CBJ forward corps very high at this point in time. Too much mediocrity and too many questions about the young and unproven forwards.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

I think of the dmen it this way: last year beginning of season when Bob was cold the dmen weren't good enough to win by themselves. Our dmen look great with a great goalie. When the goalie isn't on they certainly didn't look elite. Now I would move them up a couple spots from 11th but I don't see them as top 5. I guess my conclusion is "Good, not great"

Forwards - again I wouldn't put them that low but they are no where near the top half of league. Not even close.

Goalies - until either or both shows something I think it's right.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
So can he explain how his #2 defense was torched in the playoffs by the #28 offense (plus Panarin and Duchene)?

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think of the dmen it this way: last year beginning of season when Bob was cold the dmen weren't good enough to win by themselves. Our dmen look great with a great goalie. When the goalie isn't on they certainly didn't look elite. Now I would move them up a couple spots from 11th but I don't see them as top 5. I guess my conclusion is "Good, not great"

Forwards - again I wouldn't put them that low but they are no where near the top half of league. Not even close.

Goalies - until either or both shows something I think it's right.
I'm pretty much in the same ballpark. Defense #7. Offense: #20. Goalies: #31 (for now)

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm pretty much in the same ballpark. Defense #7. Offense: #20. Goalies: #31 (for now)
That's pretty close to what I was expecting, although I have a little more faith in the goaltending than that (especially as compared to the awful tandems in places like Ottawa).

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Oh no we lost Matt Duchene's 12 regular season points plus Dubois slowed production after his role changed... How will we survive.

Its a fun narrative the media likes to push that losing Duchene hurts regular season totals when he never really contributed to them in the first place. Losing Panarin is devastating. Losing Duchene is meh, would have been nice to keep him but at the same time meh

Also those defensive rankings... I think the only thing that writer knows about Nuti is that Kucherov injured him because he clearly doesnt know anything about his on ice abilities

Reactions: leesmith and Viqsi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I have no gripe with the goaltending being suspect and hence rated lower, however, when I see Columbus defense behind such teams as Toronto....that's all I need to see to know this was not well thought out. As for the forwards... I get it, we lost one of the best in the game. going to be an impact but to continually see how Columbus lost Duchene and Dzingel is an impact... again, that's lost on me. In my mind (right or wrong) we essentially lost ONE forward. A great one but just one. We lack a game breaking threat but this lineup should/could have as many as four 30 goal scorer in Atkinson, PLD, Bjork and Andy. I don't know... I try really hard not to be a homer but it's inevitable when I read some of these things.

Reactions: Viqsi

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
A more compelling article would be how the Jackets see the hockey writers.
Man the season can’t come soon enough

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I wouldn’t read too much into it. The main argument against the CBJ defense was a lack of depth (and Harrington also was forgotten). That isn’t how I would describe that group.

Obviously the team will have a lot to prove. I’m excited for the new wave of young players, and I think they’ll make an impact. I don’t expect these writers to pay much attention to the group of prospects that have developed well and are NHL ready, because they weren’t high picks and aren’t household names yet. I think they’ll be good right out of the gates, but I’m not concerned or surprised that that’s not the consensus. But moreso I am excited that nearly every player on the team that has been here for a few years is being consistently written off.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But moreso I am excited that nearly every player on the team that has been here for a few years is being consistently written off.
I find it more frustrating and insulting than exciting, myself. Way too reminiscient of the Bad Old Days when the Jackets never received any credit whatsoever for anything they did. It seemingly turned around not long after Bobrovsky stopped by, and folks started paying attention and realizing there's good players in their own right here... but the idea that there are still folks who, nearly a decade later, are still thinking that way - even after getting to watch as we ruined Tampa Bay's whole year - is just immensely frustrating. It sends me back to those moments of feeling like we could win the Cup and yet still be a perpetual punchline "because Columbus", and, y'know, f*** that shit.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I find it more frustrating and insulting than exciting, myself. Way too reminiscient of the Bad Old Days when the Jackets never received any credit whatsoever for anything they did. It seemingly turned around not long after Bobrovsky stopped by, and folks started paying attention and realizing there's good players in their own right here... but the idea that there are still folks who, nearly a decade later, are still thinking that way - even after getting to watch as we ruined Tampa Bay's whole year - is just immensely frustrating. It sends me back to those moments of feeling like we could win the Cup and yet still be a perpetual punchline "because Columbus", and, y'know, **** that ****.

I just mean that I’m excited for what effect that will have on the team and on those guys. It will be interesting to see what a chip on the shoulder does. I, for one, don’t really even want to hear another second of offseason speculation. Ready for Friday.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've always said if the hockey writers had a print publication I'd save a lot of money on toilet paper.

Okay, I just made that up. But my disdain for this operation is longstanding. "Lack of depth" on Columbus D is not even their biggest whiff.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've always said if the hockey writers had a print publication I'd save a lot of money on toilet paper.

Okay, I just made that up. But my disdain for this operation is longstanding. "Lack of depth" on Columbus D is not even their biggest whiff.
Indeed. The Sharks fanbase swarmed like they scented blood in the water after those forward rankings came out, and I can't hardly blame 'em for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad