Islanders Point Blank: How the New CBA Affects the Isles

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I like that bonuses no longer count toward the cap. IMO, that was one of the bigger "loopholes" that needed addressing, and am glad it was addressed.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I like that bonuses no longer count toward the cap. IMO, that was one of the bigger "loopholes" that needed addressing, and am glad it was addressed.

Maybe a loophole for teams like the Isles trying to reach the cap floor, but now it will be a loophole for teams trying to stay under the cap ceiling.

If I understand this correctly, a team with $2M in cap space can sign an elite player to $2M, but throw in $4-5M in easily obtainable bonuses. So his cap hit is only $2M, but in reality he's making $6 or $7M? Or do I have this wrong?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe a loophole for teams like the Isles trying to reach the cap floor, but now it will be a loophole for teams trying to stay under the cap ceiling.

If I understand this correctly, a team with $2M in cap space can sign an elite player to $2M, but throw in $4-5M in easily obtainable bonuses. So his cap hit is only $2M, but in reality he's making $6 or $7M? Or do I have this wrong?

I thought there was a limit to bonuses anyway?

This is the old CBA (I believe), but I don't think the bonus rules have changed with the new one.

CBA link

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

i think that if a team can afford to spend to upper limit and be able to use a cushion to spend a little more its fair. Its not fair for teams who can spend buckets to be limited either. I think if a team can afford to do so they should be allowed a small amount over cap via Bonus.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

Unless this has changed, you can only have bonuses on ELCs and for players over 35 years old. You're not gonna find much in the elite realm there. Plus, I believe that bonuses attained roll over as penalties for the next season.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I thought there was a limit to bonuses anyway?

This is the old CBA (I believe), but I don't think the bonus rules have changed with the new one.

CBA link

Unless this has changed, you can only have bonuses on ELCs and for players over 35 years old. You're not gonna find much in the elite realm there. Plus, I believe that bonuses attained roll over as penalties for the next season.

Wasn't aware. Thanks for clearing that up.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
REVENUE SHARING
This is a big one. Under the old CBA, the Islanders were ineligible for revenue sharing because of their proximity to New York City. In the new CBA, things won’t be perfect, but they’ll be better. The NHL has completely revamped the revenue sharing system. The top 10 revenue teams in the league will pay into a pool that goes towards assisting the bottom 20 teams, with the poorest teams receiving the most assistance. There is one catch; the Islanders can’t receive a full share. Teams with market DMAs* of greater than three million can only receive 50% of what they’re entitled to. That’s still better than the zero dollars the Islanders were getting under the old agreement that barred teams in large markets from getting any revenue sharing money. The CBA summary does not say if that money has to be spent directly on the team.

WTF? I thought the whole intent was for the clubs receiving revenue sharing to spend it on payroll to increase the overall product? Oh well, I guess that answers that but maybe it is just a case of the summary being brief? For our team's sake I hope they did not leave out the specifics.

puckstopper55

Feb 10, 2003
Visit site

In the old cba you are correct. It would be rolled over to next seasons cap. Not sure about the new cba

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
WTF? I thought the whole intent was for the clubs receiving revenue sharing to spend it on payroll to increase the overall product? Oh well, I guess that answers that but maybe it is just a case of the summary being brief? For our team's sake I hope they did not leave out the specifics.

From the business board, there is a Revenue Sharing Oversight Committee to review below. Hopefully, they oversee that rev sharing is spent on payroll. At least the committee is in place -

- New committee created "The RSOC will consist of three (3) members chosen by the NHLPA (including at least 1 Player) and four (4) members chosen by the Commissioner, including a Chairman (and also including at least 1 Owner). The Commissioner of the NHL and the Executive Director of the NHLPA shall serve as ex-officio members of the RSOC with all rights and privileges of a RSOC member, except voting rights."
- Committee has authority to review various club financial reporting, but not 100% guaranteed access to all business related books.
- Committee can vote to increase or decrease a particular team's revenue sharing distribution by up to 15%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad