News Article: How the Jackets’ aggressive penalty kill can be a difference maker against Lightning

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is an old article on the Athletic from April 2019: How the Jackets' aggressive penalty kill can be a difference maker against Lightning

I found it interesting because the article quotes Shaw and Rachel Doerrie:

“We’re trying to take time and space away,” Jackets assistant coach Brad Shaw said. “We’re trying to not let teams sort of feel comfortable and have their whole playbook in front of them. We’re trying to limit the plays that are available, and when we’re good, we’re doing that.”

“With Tampa, it is vitally important to disrupt their breakout and zone entry,” Doerrie said. “If Columbus can slow them down in the neutral zone and force them to enter at a slower speed or at an entry point that differs from where they want, it forces in-game decisions to be made quickly.

“I would recommend the first challenge or shadow be in the offensive zone around the top of the circles,” Doerrie said. “Then heavier pressure in the neutral zone. Clogging the NZ on the power play has shown to be successful against Tampa — without overcommitting to one player.”

Reading this makes me kind of sad. If Green didn't sideline Shaw, he may still have a job.

Under the previous regime, the analytics department was well integrated with the coaching staff. I hope Doerrie will get a chance to present strategies to the coaching staff (like she did in NJ).

Edit: There are actually more Shaw and Doerrie quotes in the article, particularly Doerrie. I'll add more since there seems to some interest:

When Tampa gains the zone, it is imperative to disrupt before they get set up,” Doerrie said. “Once they get set up, you are basically praying for a bobbled puck, a player to turn their back or a fan on a pass/shot.

“It is key to be very disciplined and not chase, however, going in once a back is turned or a puck is bobbled is a way to force the issue.”

The article then shows how "the Jackets disrupt all facets of the Lightning’s attempt to gain the zone and set up in formation."

“The Jackets can put pressure on the bumper by always having a stick in the lane, or at least within reach,” Doerrie said. “The player can fake the stick lane to the point and watch the puck carrier’s eyes. Once he identifies the pass will be made to the bumper, he commits the stick back to that line to put immediate pressure. The bumper is key, so taking away as much time and forcing the issue will likely cause more fumbled pucks and chances to clear the zone.”

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think it's important to note that Walker is the PK coach and Shaw is the defensive coach.

Good find on the Doerrie quotes.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
? Brad Shaw is still a coach with the Canucks
I think it's important to note that Walker is the PK coach and Shaw is the defensive coach.

Good find on the Doerrie quotes.

Yes. Shaw is still with the Canucks and Walker runs the PK. Shaw running the D might have a stronger voice on the PK as well. I think it's clear that Shaw was sidelined by Green. You don't go from believing in an aggressive penalty kill where you try to take away the other team's time and space (which is quite the norm) to the passive, "welcome in" PK we saw under Green and Baumer this season.

Reactions: MarkMM

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Nice find, definitely a breath of fresh air with the new personnel brought in.

Travis Green/Nolan Baumgartner:

“No, give them the blueline keep backpedaling and protect the front of the net. Our goalie will make his 40+ saves and hopefully our powerplay will score a goal or two.”

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
green/baumgartner stand still and let the opposing team take shots at our goalie. boudreau, no time/space agressive back the other way for a shorthanded chance.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Yes. Shaw is still with the Canucks and Walker runs the PK. Shaw running the D might have a stronger voice on the PK as well. I think it's clear that Shaw was sidelined by Green. You don't go from believing in an aggressive penalty kill where you try to take away the other team's time and space (which is quite the norm) to the passive, "welcome in" PK we saw under Green and Baumer this season.

baseless assumption is baseless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad