TSN: How the coronavirus could impact the NHL’s bottom line UPD: NHL Season suspended MOD Warning post139

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Frank Seravelli's take on the impact of potential lost games (NHL insurance) and how lost games/revenue would affect the salary cap for next year

A look at how the coronavirus could impact the NHL’s bottom line - TSN.ca

But in the longer term, substantial revenue lost would have a direct impact on next season’s salary cap. There is a provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that any money owed to the owners by players in excess of what was collected in this season’s escrow account comes directly off what is owed to the players next season - thus reducing the salary cap.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think there is a realistic chance that there is no Stanley Cup or NBA Champion this year.

Just a matter of time before players start to test positive, and it doesn't matter if it's Alex Ovechkin or Trevor Lewis, when that happens the entire team is going to go into quarantine.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I hope the playoffs go off as normal, but if drastic steps are taken (i.e. no fans in attendance), the cap has to be impacted. With our cap surplus, Blake could probably make some nice deals with teams without cap space needing to sign players. I don’t want players with term, but someone who only has 1 year left might be a good target. Player X plus 1st round pick for a 5th or 6th?

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Isn't the salary cap based on revenue? If the fans don't attend, that's revenue lost and if then cancel or shorten the playoffs that would be loss of revenue.
Kind of true. The Cap is just a number they agree upon to work with. Actual dollars is what they base payment on. They have already set the cap for this year and next year. So the can’t lower it now. They enforce the real dollars cap with the escrow. So they leave the cap the same and raise the escrow to cover the losses. They may leave the cap the same the year after next to lower the escrow

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

giphy.gif

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think there is a realistic chance that there is no Stanley Cup or NBA Champion this year.

Just a matter of time before players start to test positive, and it doesn't matter if it's Alex Ovechkin or Trevor Lewis, when that happens the entire team is going to go into quarantine.
Yeah, I think it is a matter of time before a college basketball player tests positive and NCAA tournament will be canceled entirely.

Some interesting questions are being generated due to all of this. Should we really be getting 90% of our vaccines from China? Should we be getting the basic compounds for prescription drugs from China? Seems like a percentage of this material and work should not be outsourced.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Wow, not cool. Wonder when he started having symptoms.

According to the press release, I think it may have been the team one? He was tested for strep and he as showing signs of getting better and just to take precautions, he was also tested for COVID-19 and it testing cane back positive.

I think the thing to note here was his condition was already improving despite the positive test.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Imagine being a wild fan

That’s tough. In the East, the Rangers were on a good run only a few points out heading into tonight.

I’d prefer the NHL delays until early April and maybe gives each team 4-6 regular season games provided the league starts back up, so basically slash the remaining games in half. Atleast it gives those teams just outside of a playoff spot a shot.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
According to the press release, I think it may have been the team one? He was tested for strep and he as showing signs of getting better and just to take precautions, he was also tested for COVID-19 and it testing cane back positive.

I think the thing to note here was his condition was already improving despite the positive test.
Exactly, literally thousands of people have been infected and they don't even know it, and never will know it. Yet we are supposed to believe COVID-19 is many times more deadly than the regular flu. The statistics don't take the people with mild symptoms who recover quickly into account.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Exactly, literally thousands of people have been infected and they don't even know it, and never will know it. Yet we are supposed to believe COVID-19 is many times more deadly than the regular flu. The statistics don't take the people with mild symptoms who recover quickly into account.

Exactly. Yeah you have to take precautions but I swear Dr. Drew did say for everyone to relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad