How Team Canada was picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
http://www.canoe.com/Slam040523/col_gross-sun.html

A quote from Pat Quinn

"We coaches were involved in the original team selection in February. Rick Nash was on the list then. Then, the night before the official team announcement, we were told who had been selected."

It appears that the GM's Gretzky, Lowe, Tambellini, and Nill got together with the coaches (Quinn, Hitchcock, Martin, and Fleming) at the all-star game in February and put together an initial list of 40-45 players.

The list was then cut into the final roster by the GM's with no input from the coaching staff.

joe_shannon_1983*

John Flyers Fan said:
http://www.canoe.com/Slam040523/col_gross-sun.html

A quote from Pat Quinn

"We coaches were involved in the original team selection in February. Rick Nash was on the list then. Then, the night before the official team announcement, we were told who had been selected."

It appears that the GM's Gretzky, Lowe, Tambellini, and Nill got together with the coaches (Quinn, Hitchcock, Martin, and Fleming) at the all-star game in February and put together an initial list of 40-45 players.

The list was then cut into the final roster by the GM's with no input from the coaching staff.

This is interesting because I heard Wayne Gretzky say that Martin, Hitchcock, and Quinn were present via conference call on the day before, which was when they apparently made some crucial decisions on the team.

And I also heard Wayne Gretzky in an interview with TSN after the press conference saying that no player was picked without going around the room, making sure all the managers AND coaches were in full agreement on a player.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
jcs_1983_shannonman said:
This is interesting because I heard Wayne Gretzky say that Martin, Hitchcock, and Quinn were present via conference call on the day before, which was when they apparently made some crucial decisions on the team.

And I also heard Wayne Gretzky in an interview with TSN after the press conference saying that no player was picked without going around the room, making sure all the managers AND coaches were in full agreement on a player.

Comments I've seen from Hitchcock are very consistant with the above comments fro Quinn.

joe_shannon_1983*

John Flyers Fan said:
Comments I've seen from Hitchcock are very consistant with the above comments fro Quinn.

Click on this link:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/

And then click on the interview that Bob McKenzie and James Duthie did with Wayne Gretzky, it is near the bottom of the page in the "Audio/Video" section. The interview is titled "Gretzky talks to TSN".

In that interview, Gretzky makes it clearly obvious that the coaches did have some say in the matter, referring to things such as "the managers and coaches are all a part of this group" and "if there is one person in this group not on board with one selection, then we discuss it until every person is on board", on more than one occassion.

Dave Carlson

Apr 7, 2004
Click on this link:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/

And then click on the interview that Bob McKenzie and James Duthie did with Wayne Gretzky, it is near the bottom of the page in the "Audio/Video" section. The interview is titled "Gretzky talks to TSN".

In that interview, Gretzky makes it clearly obvious that the coaches did have some say in the matter, referring to things such as "the managers and coaches are all a part of this group" and "if there is one person in this group not on board with one selection, then we discuss it until every person is on board", on more than one occassion.

After the announcement Hitchcock was quoted in the post game, in reference to the non-selection of Primeau, to somethign along the lines of he was not involved in the final selection.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
If you honestly believe that you are stupid because no way do they fill out a complete roster that way.

joe_shannon_1983*

Fish on The Sand said:
If you honestly believe that you are stupid because no way do they fill out a complete roster that way.

Hey, I was just quoting Gretzky.

Listen to that audio clip I gave the link to above and you will hear the same thing.

And also, various news outlets reported that the coaches would be present in the selection process via conference call.

I personally feel that the coaches would have had some say in the matter, and they are only denying it so they can't be accused of "playing favourites".

Yes, both Quinn and Hitchcock are saying the same thing, but it wouldn't have been hard for them to agree on the stories they have been telling everyone.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Hey, I was just quoting Gretzky.

Listen to that audio clip I gave the link to above and you will hear the same thing.

And also, various news outlets reported that the coaches would be present in the selection process via conference call.

I personally feel that the coaches would have had some say in the matter, and they are only denying it so they can't be accused of "playing favourites".

Yes, both Quinn and Hitchcock are saying the same thing, but it wouldn't have been hard for them to agree on the stories they have been telling everyone.
Im not saying they werent involved, but that quote said no player was chosen without unaminous consent. There is no possible way every player was a consensus pick, especially with team canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad