How strong are CIS?

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
The CIS is the top amateur hockey league in Canada, better than about half NCAA Div I teams and almost all NCAA Div III teams. Top teams would do well in the SPHL pro league.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
The CIS is the top amateur hockey league in Canada, better than about half NCAA Div I teams and almost all NCAA Div III teams. Top teams would do well in the SPHL pro league.

In exhibition games in 2007, the CIS is went 2-33-1 vs. the NCAA D1.

I'd say it's more even now but NCAA has the edge mainly because it's USA's best versus Canada's second best.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Almost all CIS vs NCAA exhibition games are played in the States in NCAA teams' home rinks, using their rules (there are some differences) and their officials. A decided advantage.

I would say that the top third of CIS teams are on on par with the average NCAA Div I team. What skews the stats is that many lower-tier CIS teams get hammered while in the States, and some top CIS teams, like Alberta, seldom play NCAA teams.

But you are comparing apples and oranges. Top CIS teams are filled with players who have completed their Major Junior eligibility and are now cashing in their education packages - most are 20 or older when they start and 19-year-old rookies are extremely rare. So the average CIS age is a couple of years older than NCAA teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad