How sick will Team Russia be in 4 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Paulson*

dafo_01 said:
Think of how good Canada will be too though in 5 years with Heatley, Nash, Thornton, Lecalvier, they also have very solid goaltending in Luongo but I think the wildcard could be Crosby, he could be the one centering Heatley and Nash.
Fleury as co-starter of course. :)

bizzz*

brian said:
Nabokov has to go back to Russia and play there for the next 4 years before he can qualify to play for Russia. Since he represented Kazakhstan in 1995, he has to play in Russia for 4 consecutive years before he can make the switch. However, Nabby came to North America in 1997. Unless the IIHF took his Soviet passport into consideration then I don't see it changing. Remember he lost his case in the Court Of Arbirtration of Sport just before the Olympics.
Thanks, you know it better than anybody else - IIHF, Russian Hockey Federation and personally Nabokov...
You'll get it if you can read Russian , if not - internet translator could help you.
IIHF: Nabokov is eligible to play for Russia
11.12.2003. Nabokov will be named among the untouchable players for the upcoming World Cup.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
ZBORNAJA said:
I would rather have Ovechkin,kovalckuh and Zherder over canada top .. Only aspects that russians lack is psyhological,but even these is getting better with every new generation...It the current trend goes on ,russia will again will be head to head with canada
Of course you rather have Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Zherdev over Canada's top; you're Russian! It is obviously a biased choice like I prefer Canada's Spezza, Nash and Crosby. It's natural that we tend to prefer our own. The bottom line is both Russia and Canada have a bright future.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Rabid Ranger said:
You're right, Salo is the face of Swedish goaltending over the past ten years. I misread that part of your post. Anyway, look a little harder, the future of U.S. hockey is actually pretty bright. There has been a bit of a gap between the players that rose to prominence in the early nineties and the talent just now emerging, but that is about to end. As for what "younger" players look good:

Drury
Gomez
York
Cole
Malone
Legwand
Dipietro
Miller
Esche
Parise
Liles
Komisarek
Higgins
Ballard
Mara
Leopold
Taffe
Kesler
Brown
Gleason
Montoya
Jillson
Connolly
Hainsey
Eaves
O'Sullivan
Conklin

Some are in the NHL, some are prospects, but the bottomline is things look bright for USA Hockey.

I'm sorry, but the players you have listed above don't scare me too much. The difference between your list and the Hull, Modano, Roenick, Tkachuk and Weight is big.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Slime[B said:
Sweden[/B] will be weaker though
F: Forsberg, Sundin, Näslund, Alfredsson, Nylander
D: Lidström, C Johansson, Norström, Öhlund
G: Salo

Look stronger than...

F: Zetterberg, Sedin, Sedin, Steen
D: L Jonsson, Bäckman, Kronwall
G: Lundqvist
:D

Indeed, Sweden will probably have the biggest decline. It already shows at the WJC in recent years; their results have been very disapointing.

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Of course you rather have Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Zherdev over Canada's top; you're Russian! It is obviously a biased choice like I prefer Canada's Spezza, Nash and Crosby. It's natural that we tend to prefer our own. The bottom line is both Russia and Canada have a bright future.

i am not russian...I think am not biased if i prefer top pick in 2001 ,top pick in 2004 and number 3 pick in 2003 wow...They are just more special players in my opinion...Nash does nothing for me,but i agree i am looking forward how the crosby will turn out.Heatley is also very good,i hope he gets back

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
brian said:
Nabokov has to go back to Russia and play there for the next 4 years before he can qualify to play for Russia. Since he represented Kazakhstan in 1995, he has to play in Russia for 4 consecutive years before he can make the switch. However, Nabby came to North America in 1997. Unless the IIHF took his Soviet passport into consideration then I don't see it changing. Remember he lost his case in the Court Of Arbirtration of Sport just before the Olympics.

Nabokov played in the Russian League for about 4-5 years.

clefty said:
Konstantin Koltsov is from Belarus.

Maybe he meant Kirill Koltsov ;) good Russian offensive defenseman.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canuck21t said:
I'm sorry, but the players you have listed above don't scare me too much. The difference between your list and the Hull, Modano, Roenick, Tkachuk and Weight is big.

I would agree that the current crop of American players between the ages of say 24-30 isn't the greatest, but the generation of players after that, 23 and under, look to be quite impressive. I think the best of USA hockey is yet to come.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I think (long term)the United States has the brightest future.

Considering the way the game has taken off at the youth level as of late, combined with the U.S.' sheer population, I wouldn't be suprised if they were the sole dominant power within 20-30 years.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
ZBORNAJA said:
i am not russian...I think am not biased if i prefer top pick in 2001 ,top pick in 2004 and number 3 pick in 2003 wow...They are just more special players in my opinion...Nash does nothing for me,but i agree i am looking forward how the crosby will turn out.Heatley is also very good,i hope he gets back
Oh, sorry for my mistake then. You are a huge Russian fan though right? May I ask where are you from? Anyway, of all the young players right now, my favorite is Ilya Kovalchuk. I like him more than Ovechkin. The reason is that I like his attitude. Very competitive and I think he's genuine. With Ovechkin, I'm not sure if he's just giving a face to the media and audience. Nash I admit is not as complete as I would like him to be, but Canada needs a good goal scorer, whether the play is beautiful or not. I am very happy that Jay Bowmeester is Canadian. He is tall, yet extremly fast and fluid. Canada is in need for this type of defensemen if you ask me. He's way up there on my list along with Kovalchuk. I also think that Jason Spezza is very good. It's somewhat unfortunate that he's on such a good team that he can be left out at times. Then, there's Sidney Crosby. I too am looking forward to how he will turn out.

A few years ago, I admit that I was disapointed and worried about Canada's future. Many players were good, but nothing special about them until these past few years where we have been blessed with many rare talents. I think things comes in phases. Sweden had Sundin, Forsberg, Naslund, etc. during the '90s, but now their youngsters don't look as impressive. American hockey in general is in fact improving, but I don't think their young crop of upcoming players are as good as the Modano, Roenick and Tkachuk. There has been a whole decade of drought at USA Hockey. Just look at the rosters of Team USA since the World Cup. Their core players haven't changed much. I'm not too sure, but it seems that Team USA is getting older and older. Look at Canada's rosters and you see many changes from tournament to tournament. It shows lots of depth. I'm not too sure of the other countries, but I know that Canada and Russia are in an enviable position.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Zine said:
I think (long term)the United States has the brightest future.

Considering the way the game has taken off at the youth level as of late, combined with the U.S.' sheer population, I wouldn't be suprised if they were the sole dominant power within 20-30 years.
I think you're right. In the long run, the United States may very well be the dominant power. It will depend on the popularity of hockey though. If the sport become more popular than NASCAR racing, then other countries should worry, but if not, then things won't change too much.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
New Jersey is the future of american hockey. It is actually scary how many players within the organization are american.

Gomez, Gionta, Rafalski, Martin, Langenbrunner, Pandolfo, Hale, DeMarchi, Tallackson, Parise, Ryznar, Magowan, Massen, Clemmensen, Tarkir, Janssen, Hartsburg, Dziama, Burns, Brooks, Murphy, Hulbig and Darby. Thats at 23 americans in our organization.

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
well people already covered most of the stuff i was gonna say.

but one thing is - no matter what kinds of terms zherdev left on they're STILL gonna let him play on the national team.

2 reasons:

1) obvious one - they need him

2) more political one - even out of the people that were screaming, banging their shoes on the table and trying to sell their kidneys just to keep him in russia, even out of them 95% of them completely and totally understand that zherdev going to the NHL is better for him, and in some way better for the country - because he can develop best over there. ALso because it's good advertisement for the country in some way - u know Kovalchuk is #1 in the NHL in goals, in a Nike commercial, russian hockey is still dominant that's what it kind of shows.

AND, while in teh soviet days those kinds of people would try to do something Pejorative Slured like try to "Punish" him over this (even though they understand the decision), those days are over. The political decisions in russia are much more reasonable. STILL crazy and f'd up but much MORE reasonable hehe

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Slay said:
Nabokov played in the Russian League for about 4-5 years.

Maybe he meant Kirill Koltsov ;) good Russian offensive defenseman.

Slay, maybe you'll know this. Why does Nabokov where an American flag on the back of his mask? I don't think anyone else on the team does.

TVanek26*

You guys are seriously underrating Kalinin....he could be the backbone of the Russian defense with-in 5 years.

andlem61

May 1, 2004
N.B, Canada
ZBORNAJA said:

Yeah you are right. A 19 year old kid who is still growing, tied for 1st in the NHL for goal scoring on a team that doesn't score much in his 2nd season. He is a big power forward who even Blake, Foote and the bigger D-Men in the league have trouble with in front of the net. He has great hands just like the euopeans and isn't easy to move in front of the net. If you are not scared of a lineup like this then you must be very underrating Canada or your team must be whicked.

I know I would be scared to face the likes of: Thornton, Bertuzzi, Nash, Iginla

Good look moving those guys from the front of the net.

Canada is the mecca of Hockey and that is the way it is!

Ironchef Chris Wok*

You know, their D-core is still gonna be anchored by Sergei Gonchar.

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
You know, their D-core is still gonna be anchored by Sergei Gonchar.

I was thinking more like, deffensively. It'll be above average for sure, but I don't know how "sick" it's going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->