NBA How should NBA All-Stars be selected and who would you take?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
158px-National_Basketball_Association_logo.svg.png

How should NBA All-Stars be selected?

The starters are selected by fans, media, and players. I have no problem with this. I’ll even let them pick the first 2 reserves, Harden and Lillard. Harden is starting for the injured KD on my team.

Starters: LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Kawhi Leonard, the Greek Freak, Kyrie Irving, Bradley Beal, Luka Doncic, Joel Embiid, Nikola Jokic, James Harden,

IR: Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, CJ McCollum,

The reserves are chosen by coaches. If you look at this year’s reserves, this does not work. I suggest using a non-conference stat based selection process. The teams aren’t conference based so the selections should not be either. Who gets in?

Reserves:

Damian Lillard - 29.6 Pts, 4.4 Reb, 8 Asst - I’m bringin sexy back. Dame $ is so cool he’s not only a top 13 player in the Association, he’s a good rapper also.

Nikola Vucevic - 23.9 Pts, 11.7 Rebs, 3.7 Asst - He’s got the stats.

Karl-Anthony Towns - 22.3 Pts, 10.9 Reb, 4.1 Asst - He hasn’t played enough this season, but he has good season and career stats. It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to.

Domantas Sabonis - 21.5 Pts, 11.6 Reb, 5.7 Asst - He’s got the stats.

Trae Young - 27 Pts, 4 Reb, 9.6 Asst - I live in Atlanta. ;)

Russell Westbrook - 19.9 Pts, 9.7 Reb, 9.7 Asst - He averages almost a triple double per game.

Kyrie Irving - 27.4 Pts, 4.7 Reb, 5.8 Asst - The Nets have one of the most turbo charged offenses ever and with AD hurt they may be the favorites to win it all.

Jayson Tatum - 26.1 Pts, 7.1 Reb, 4.6 Asst - Ainge doesn’t trade young players and draft picks for Hall of Famers so Tatum will remain the man in Boston.

Julius Randle - 23.3 Pts, 10.9 Reb, 5.5 Asst - He’s got the stats.

Jimmy Butler - 19.1 Pts, 7.6 Reb, 7.6 Asst - He’s a former Bull who led the Heat to the Finals just last year.

Zach LaVine - 28.6 Pts, 5.4 Reb, 5.1 Asst - I’m originally from Chicago. ;)

Andre Drummond - 17.5 Pts, 13.5 Reb, 2.6 Asst - One of the best rebounders in the league with a 13.8 career average, he deserves it every year.

Bam Adebayo - 19.6 Pts, 9.5 Reb, 5.5 Asst - He and Butler led the Heat to the Finals just last year.

Paul George - 24.6 Pts, 6.2 Reb, 5.4 Asst - He shot less than 40% in the playoffs last year.

Biggest Snub: Ben Simmons - 15.7 Pts, 8.3 Reb, 7.9 Asst - I’m a bad person and @Jack Straw would have been a better choice to write this post.

Good read. Thanks for the "@" but I would defer to @Lotusflower. :laugh:

Reactions: Hawkman

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I didn't really consider reserves much. When I voted I generally went:

West:
Luka, Steph
LeBron, Joker, Kawhi (I know I gave PG13 and Dame the occasional vote)

East:
Beal, Trae (gave Simmons a few homer votes)
Embiid, Giannis, KD (gave Tobi some homer votes too)

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Whats really hilarious is the Raps fanbase going from docile to Leafs fan level homerism after winning the title.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Whats really hilarious is the Raps fanbase going from docile to Leafs fan level homerism after winning the title.
You need to get off the internet. Raptors fans have never been docile.

I think they get frustrated seeing their team disrespected. I mean, if you watched their last two vs Philadelphia, particularly the second one you would have seen blatantly one sided officiating that impacts the outcome of the game. Sixers shot twice as many free throws despite the Raptors taking twice as many shots in the paint. Anyone who knows basketball will tell you that won’t compute, and you won’t need to look any further than Simmons smacking Norman Powell from behind in one of the most egregious non calls you’ll ever see.

Winning in spite of that shit gives you a different type of perspective.

edit: and make no mistake, most people outside Philadelphia slander Ben Simmons because he isn’t very good. He’s a great defender and a very good playmaker in the open court... but he’s a brick head with poor game IQ and situational awareness. Not the starting point guard on a team that will win in the playoffs. He needs Jimmy Butler to run the show.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Ben Simmons has bad game IQ? Really? That's a first. The only thing missing from Ben's game is a reliable jumpshot. Now that's a pretty big deal.

Reactions: Gecklund

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Ben Simmons has bad game IQ? Really? That's a first. The only thing missing from Ben's game is a reliable jumpshot. Now that's a pretty big deal.
I don’t know what to call it, but I see Simmons making bonehead mental mistakes, often at critical points in the game that you don’t typically see from ‘elite’ point guards. I used to hear that it was Brett Brown’s fault. That excuse doesn’t fly anymore.

If the Sixers can get a floor general to run their offense in the half court and fuse Simmons and Embiid, they’ll be almost unstoppable... but until then, I just don’t see it. Simmons is a forward, not a point guard. Jump shot or no jump shot.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I don’t know what to call it, but I see Simmons making bonehead mental mistakes, often at critical points in the game that you don’t typically see from ‘elite’ point guards. I used to hear that it was Brett Brown’s fault. That excuse doesn’t fly anymore.

If the Sixers can get a floor general to run their offense in the half court and fuse Simmons and Embiid, they’ll be almost unstoppable... but until then, I just don’t see it. Simmons is a forward, not a point guard. Jump shot or no jump shot.

I never liked the idea of making Simmons the PG but at this point it is what it is. He has his shortcomings but lack of BB IQ is not one of them. His problem has been a general lack of aggressiveness- which leads him to do things like attacking the paint, stopping and jumping up in the air, spinning around, and trying to find someone to pass to at the last moment. That's not a reflection of is IQ, it's a reflection of his lack of aggressiveness getting to the rim and then getting too fancy trying to make a pass. The good thing is, the new coaching staff seems to be getting him to be more aggressive and we're seeing less of that weird stuff than in the past.

Part of that in the past has also been his poor FT shooting and a reluctance to get to the line, but his pct is now creeping up towards 70% and he's becoming a lot more willing to get to the line.

Basically, he's an extremely talented player playing a position that he never played before the NBA (and may not be really suited for but whatever) and he's still figuring it out. IF he develops a mid-range jumper, look out.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I never liked the idea of making Simmons the PG but at this point it is what it is. He has his shortcomings but lack of BB IQ is not one of them. His problem has been a general lack of aggressiveness- which leads him to do things like attacking the paint, stopping and jumping up in the air, spinning around, and trying to find someone to pass to at the last moment. That's not a reflection of is IQ, it's a reflection of his lack of aggressiveness getting to the rim and then getting too fancy trying to make a pass. The good thing is, the new coaching staff seems to be getting him to be more aggressive and we're seeing less of that weird stuff than in the past.

Part of that in the past has also been his poor FT shooting and a reluctance to get to the line, but his pct is now creeping up towards 70% and he's becoming a lot more willing to get to the line.

Basically, he's an extremely talented player playing a position that he never played before the NBA (and may not be really suited for but whatever) and he's still figuring it out. IF he develops a mid-range jumper, look out.
That’s all fair, and I agree. I guess I call poor decisions ‘IQ’ for lack of a better term. Just seems like these things you’ve described happen too often with him, and at bad times in relation to score, clock, game situation etc.

As a basketball fan he’s a very intriguing player and I keep expecting a jump from him that just hasn’t happened yet. I don’t even care about the jump shot - at 6’10 with that handle and explosiveness, he can be fine without it. Wouldn’t hurt, obviously, but he can affect winning in a lot of ways scoring solely in the paint and from the line.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3