How Seriously do You Take Sports?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Hockey is the only sport I follow, and I love it, but family, career, and serious hobbies are all far more important to me.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Judging by some here including myself? An unhealthy level.

But I'm not going to blow my brains out because my home team is going to be bad for 5 years at least.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Way more than I should. For example, tonight I had a large milkshake to drown my sorrows in. I'm lactose intolerant. But the Knights are making me sad and it just tastes too good. :laugh:

In all seriousness it does affect my mood and in turn my eating habits/sleep schedule.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Nowadays, not so much. I used to be much more emotionally involved. But getting older and having kids, my interest has dropped rapidly the last ten years. I'm still interested and I like keeping up to speed, discussing and watch a couple of games. I just don't watch as much as I used to and when I watch I'm not as involved in the game as I was before.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
I used to take it serious but I always remind myself that there's always be next year. The more the next year didn't happen, I just simply don't take it seriously anymore but enjoy hockey as it is as the odd of seeing my own team win the cup is now 1 in 31 chances. If it was just 21 teams league, the odd would be much better than right now. What I love about the start of the new season is hope that one of our prospects break out from nowhere and become a superstar and carry right through the playoffs. I'm sure that the same for every fan of other teams in the league is hope that one of their own breakout at the same time.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Football is the main one for me (proper football, not that armoured handball nonsense over the pond). Football is not a matter of life and death... It's much more important than that.

Hockey is definitely my close 2nd love though. It has to be or I wouldn't be able to stand staying up until 3am-4am to watch a game.

I can't think of many sports I dislike tbh, I'm a bit of a nut

Reactions: TychoFan

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
I don't take the losses that seriously. I'm a Canucks fan and the fact that the team has never won a cup is fine by me. I know it's possible for that to change, but even if it doesn't I'll still enjoy the sport

On the other hand, I've always hated Washington. Hard to explain why, but I do. If they win the cup, that can't be undone, and it'll probably be the most disappointing hockey moment for me. It just seemed like Washington's underperformance in the playoffs was a constant in the hockey world, and now everything is chaos lol. I always enjoyed laughing about them but there won't be anything to laugh about anymore. I suspect I'll get over it eventually though.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Metro always runs the worst f***ing stories.

I take it pretty seriously when there's a chance at my team doing something big, not so seriously if things aren't going well. ...That sounds more fair weather than it should. Maybe I should say, I get high with the highs, but stay pretty even with the lows? It's just sports.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I HIGHLY doubt he killed himself because his team lost. It was probably just one of the last things in his life that gave him any joy. Hell he still might've done it even after they won.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
My sporting interests do not define me nor do they validate me in any way.

I prefer to ponder the big questions in life. Like, where did we come from? Why are we here? What happens after we die?

Those questions and the actual answers are what are truly important.

This person’s death is a tragedy, as all deaths are. Even more so over something as ultimately trivial as sports. My condolences and prayers are with the family. RIP.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I really love hockey a lot but I won't let my life be ruled by it. I'll be happy if something goes my way, or angry if not, but at the end of the day I'll just remind myself that it's just sports and any significant feelings only last a day or so. I think some hardcore sports nuts are trying to fill other voids or disappointments that they feel in themselves or their lives for whatever reason. Obviously this fan felt he had nothing else in his life to live for, and that was the real problem. Whatever level of fandom he had was a symptom of a greater problem.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
hockey, from meh to a bit more than I should... the Green Bay Packers, and entirely different story! One broken phone later, I still have issues with what happened with THIS in OT :mad:

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Less and less with each passing year, my sports viewer ship is way down
Get over losses within a few minutes of end of game these days.

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009
Nowadays, not so much. I used to be much more emotionally involved. But getting older and having kids, my interest has dropped rapidly the last ten years. I'm still interested and I like keeping up to speed, discussing and watch a couple of games. I just don't watch as much as I used to and when I watch I'm not as involved in the game as I was before.

My situation exactly.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I watch most of my favorite team's games but I'm too busy focusing on my own athletics (road cycling) these days to really worry about it too much. Its just entertainment. I used to be a bit more die hard and get a bit angry from a heated loss, but not so much anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->