Sep 28, 2017
I remember the kid line.

they had some fun out there.

I remember the 8 point game

and the shake and bake when the shootout meant something

dem feels

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
That pick was always between Voracek and Gagner. I believe when the Oilers were going up those were the two McKenzie mentioned. Looking back, Voracek is clearly the better pick but at the time Gagner was the right selection. Just a classic example of rushing a player into the NHL. He should've been back in London and playing in the 08 World Juniors.

Classic botched decision by Lowe and MacTavish. The Renney, Krueger, Eakins era didn't exactly help his development either.

Reactions: A91

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Sammy Snowpants would be loved here if he was only making $2M/yr as depth not as a top-6 $4.5M/yr forward.

Voracek was the "right" pick just like Draisaitl. Always go for highest upside. Voracek supposedly was not fit at the combine and had room to grow/develop.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
God, would you look at that "prospects" list... it actually brings a bit of vomit into my mouth, Cornet, LaFrance, Lefebvre, Paige, Benson, Dudas, Pisano, Pitton, Reddox, Kyntar, Czuy, MacMurchy, Roy, Wild, Kinley, Maslonka, Prout.... and it goes on and on with players that literally never even played an NHL game

The only "prospect" on that entire list that I even recognize is Taylor Chorney, and he only has 21 points in his entire 121 game career. That is some bad f***ing drafting.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Memories...

Hi, this is Kevin Lowe.

After a very eventful week around the hockey club, I wanted to take a moment and communicate to you, our most valued customers, our continued commitment to success.

As I stated last week, our hockey club will always do what we feel is in the best interest of our fans, and in the best interest of building a Stanley Cup championship team here in Oil Country.

Right now, we have a core group of veteran players and a wealth of emerging young talent. Last week's trade brought us two more young players in Robert Nilsson and Ryan O'Marra, and another first round draft choice in this year's NHL draft. They will join players like Pouliot, Jacques, Stortini, Brodziak, and Schremp, just to name a few, as potential members of a championship Oilers club. Certainly, along the way, we will add to our roster through trades and free agency when the right opportunities are there, now that we have the resources to do so. Make no mistake; our plan is to return the Stanley Cup to Edmonton.

We have an exciting future ahead of us all, and we look forward to sharing it with you.

Thanks again for your ongoing support of Oilers Hockey.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/message-sent-to-season-ticket-holders-from-kevin-lowe.354867/

When you really think about it, it looks pretty bad on Gagner that he didn't take off like a rocket getting to step in the middle of that group.

Captain Fantastic

Cpt. Fallustina
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I'm happy that he got his career back on track with CBJ. Hopefully it'll continue in Van and elsewhere. Just not against us..ha

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I'm happy that he got his career back on track with CBJ. Hopefully it'll continue in Van and elsewhere. Just not against us..ha

Maybe. He had a terrible year in Philly (and I'm sure it's all the teams fault) and this year he hasn't looked great. Worst plus/minus on his team. Only 3 goals.

Someone had said he would be useful here. Well no. We need speed, which Gagner doesn't have and we need goals which Gagner doesn't have.

Hope he recovers though and gets another contract.

Reactions: Coffey

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I never particularly liked the pick. The moment that stuck with me was the World Juniors in 2006, I believe, just before the draft. The young Gagner took a hooking penalty and looked terribly slow in the process (in addition to being small). I was a fan of the likes of Keith Primeau at the time and thought that it was a pretty weak play. Then the OIlers drafted Gagner. He sure had some promising moments. But overall it is probably fair to say that that episode in 2006 is probably a good enough indication of why he never became a true impact player in the NHL.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Back when I thought Magnus Pääjärvi was gonna be the next Henrik Zetterberg :(((((

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I was laughing before finishing the first sentence: "BEFORE HE CAN OVERTAKE HORCOFF"

Remember when our 1/2C were Gags and Horc? My how we've suffered.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
People always complain about the Oilers rushing players but Gagner is the only one where I really think that was true (may MPS). If he hadn't had that unreal summit series I don't think he makes the team, and may have changed the entire trajectory of his career.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Back when I thought Magnus Pääjärvi was gonna be the next Henrik Zetterberg :(((((

I was high on Paajarvi as well from his skating at the time but also his parents being athletes themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad