How Prominent is Analytics and Advanced Stats in the AHL?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Curious.

There's no website that's really tracking these things for the average fan to view. Unsurprisingly of course, considering I don't think that website would get too much traffic.

I am curious to find out if teams in the lower levels (AHL, ECHL, even Canadian Juniors) use analytics at all?

I have to imagine they are at some capacity, but I wonder.

Does anyone have any knowledge to this subject?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Thanks. I've seen that before, it's too bad he doesn't have this season.

It's odd that there's really no resource out there for AHL teams, so I wonder what their front offices and NHL front offices are doing to track those kind of things at the AHL level.

Since the AHL doesn't officially track a lot of the things the NHL does most NHL teams track things for their AHL affiliates on their own and don't share the info with anyone.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Since the AHL doesn't officially track a lot of the things the NHL does most NHL teams track things for their AHL affiliates on their own and don't share the info with anyone.

Figured as much...

Would love to be a fly on the wall and see what these guys discuss and what they value on a daily basis.

pccpat

Jan 26, 2015
Software from Quantum Pro Hockey is used by the NHL, AHL, USA Hockey, Liiga (Finland), KHL and SHL (Sweden). It collects 462 team and player performance metrics. I saw a story about them on ESPN and NHL Network. Their data is not available for fans but I have seen it and I know of no one else that can do some of the things they are doing. And a new release next season will have additional unique metrics.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Software from Quantum Pro Hockey is used by the NHL, AHL, USA Hockey, Liiga (Finland), KHL and SHL (Sweden). It collects 462 team and player performance metrics. I saw a story about them on ESPN and NHL Network. Their data is not available for fans but I have seen it and I know of no one else that can do some of the things they are doing. And a new release next season will have additional unique metrics.

Oh wow, that's insanely interesting...

How are these guys doing all that tracking if the technology is just now being put in place to track the things they say they do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad