How popular is the NHL?

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I think everyone who has ever seen a hockey game live will always tell you that it’s one of the best sports to watch. It’s just rare for people to follow the sport since it really doesn’t have big personalities like other sports do, which is honestly why I think this niche group of hockey fans prefer a smaller followed sport like hockey. Conner McDavid seems like the most boring dude in the history of man but when you watch him play it’s insane of how talented he is, but yeah I don’t think hockey will ever be as popular as other sports, and in all honesty I’m fine with that.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think everyone who has ever seen a hockey game live will always tell you that it’s one of the best sports to watch. It’s just rare for people to follow the sport since it really doesn’t have big personalities like other sports do, which is honestly why I think this niche group of hockey fans prefer a smaller followed sport like hockey. Conner McDavid seems like the most boring dude in the history of man but when you watch him play it’s insane of how talented he is, but yeah I don’t think hockey will ever be as popular as other sports, and in all honesty I’m fine with that.

ya Hockey live is so much better.
Same with auto racing and dirt / motorbikes

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
First of all you got to talk to sports fans which are a dying breed, then you have to find a hockey fan who isn't a homer. Shit ain't gonna be easy.

Even here you get, whether sarcastic or not, people who don't know who Patrick Mahomes is or KD.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
This was a videonin Nashville from early 2019. Not sure why it's relevant now.

Had she asked those questions in say Buffalo or Minnesota, there's a good chance most fans know who Matthews and Crosby are.

Not too mention alot of the people she asked were tourists.

Reactions: shello

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
It's a shame that this America-First league is also ruining Hockey in Canada for growth in a country that will never take to the game.

America is the biggest reality show in the world. To gain notoriety in that type of society you need personality apart from talent. And it's true Connor McDavid is the most boring human that be might living on this planet today, so can see why the average sports fan doesn't know him.

Truthfully even in Canada, more non-sport people would respond Crosby than McDavid if asked who's the best player in the World today. He's so unknown it's ridiculous.
Apparently, you have never been to England. Want to talk about reality show hell and biggest in the world? Go there. I honestly did not think it was possible to beat the US in this category but I was corrected. From their TV shows to their newspapers, it’s almost 100% pure reality show garbage nonstop. Stunning really.

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO

i took my ex bf to a leafs game and he still found it boring. he did however enjoy the babies skating around and falling down every two seconds during intermission.

admittedly that was pretty hilarious.

Reactions: WillyNy

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Wayne Gretzky is probably the only Hockey player that people who don't follow the game or sports in general, would even know.

I mean it is what it is, I'd love for Hockey to have more of a following in the States, especially in the South where I live, but there are limitations (kids don't play pond Hockey here, Football is king, etc)

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I hate when these things come up because people never seem to truly understand why hockey always has been and always will be a niche sport. It's not because of money, it's not because of lack of personality or national tv teal, it's because it's not part of what is considered Americana. It's always viewed as some type of combination of Canadian, European, Eastern/Northern U.S. sport

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
In USA for pro sports

1. NFL
2. NBA
3.MLB
4. Pro Gamers
5.UFC/Paul bros

6.NHL

Add NASCAR, college football, and college basketball ahead of the NHL in the States.

Canada for the big 4 NA sports it would be:
1. NHL
2. NFL
3. NBA/MLB
4. MLB/NBA

NBA and MLB could flip flop depending who is better between the Raptors and Blue Jays. UFC is quite popular here as well.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised thinking about it more that NFL ratings might be the highest.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
When i look at cable tv ratings NHL is usually way below WWE as well

Golf Masters easily beats Stanley Cup final

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This seems like a questionable method.

Unless you're a mainstream star like a LeBron or a Messi or a Brady, most people in a random sample (only about 45% of Americans even watch sports) couldn't name an athlete. I guarantee you most people in a random sample of North Americans couldn't identify Mike Trout, Jimmy Butler, Patrick Mahomes, or Mohamed Salah.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It is what it is. People are into the sports that they're into, and really not into the ones that they're not. So it just depends on who you catch. I can't tell you anything about what's going on in the NBA right now. I just looked up the standings today. It was kind of shocking. When did the Sixers get good?

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
would argue it has never been less popular and never been more irrelevant
there is a problem when the most relevant mainstream star the league has is Gritty.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
I think the real takeaway here is that, for $1, you aren't going to tease out any information from random human beings.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Watching the Panthers- Lightning game, it should be more popular.

Watching other games that are pretty much dump, chase, puck is out, repeat, I can see why it's not popular.

Reactions: Monsieur Miz

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
First of all you got to talk to sports fans which are a dying breed, then you have to find a hockey fan who isn't a homer. Shit ain't gonna be easy.

Even here you get, whether sarcastic or not, people who don't know who Patrick Mahomes is or KD.
Not a word of a lie. I couldn't name the team either play for. I know KD use to play for Golden State and I only know that because the Raptors played against him and he screwed up his ankle.

Edit to add: And I don't know what either look like. Show me a photo and I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: shello

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Maybe if the NHL learned how to properly officiate games to showcase their stars vs throw the rule book out to prop up the “parity” angle and allow 4th liners and bottom pair D to waterski on McDavid/Matthews/MacKinnon, maybe they’d be half recognizable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->