How popular is ice hockey in Germany?

Eisdork

Jan 19, 2013
-
So if I got this straight, based on your discussion it seems there is currently no pay-per-view service (be it online or TV) that would offer all games. Is this correct?

That is correct. Of the 364 regular season games only 52 are broadcasted, roughly 26 online at laola1.tv and 26 on ServusTV (free-to-air). All other games are only available as 5min highlights.

The laola1.tv livestream as well as the ServusTV livestream are both not region-locked. So you can watch them in Canada.

If you want to watch delayed, the full game broadcast usually shows up in the video archive around noon the following day.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
That is correct. Of the 364 regular season games only 52 are broadcasted, roughly 26 online at laola1.tv and 26 on ServusTV (free-to-air). All other games are only available as 5min highlights.

The laola1.tv livestream as well as the ServusTV livestream are both not region-locked. So you can watch them in Canada.

If you want to watch delayed, the full game broadcast usually shows up in the video archive around noon the following day.
Thanks. For some reason I can't get to the video archive without the link modano provided, though. I can only get to the KHL games, which are blocked for me.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Could you please explain how hockey has come a LONG way in Germany in your opinion?

I don't know if it's a LONG way but there certainly was some important development over the past years. Events like the outdoor game in the World Cup as well as the DEL Winter Game are things that make people watch hockey although they normally wouldn't. Giving broadcasting rights to ServusTV and Laola1.tv was another important step. Hockey does become more popular in Germany, no doubt about that. The recent success of Dennis Seidenberg becoming the second German to win the Stanley Cup champion and Leon Draisaitl being drafted 3rd overall helped, too. Germany went up to 2nd in attendance among the other European leagues, only behind Switzerland, and in front of European top leagues like the KHL, SM-Liiga and Elitserien.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I don't know if it's a LONG way but there certainly was some important development over the past years. Events like the outdoor game in the World Cup as well as the DEL Winter Game are things that make people watch hockey although they normally wouldn't. Giving broadcasting rights to ServusTV and Laola1.tv was another important step. Hockey does become more popular in Germany, no doubt about that. The recent success of Dennis Seidenberg becoming the second German to win the Stanley Cup champion and Leon Draisaitl being drafted 3rd overall helped, too. Germany went up to 2nd in attendance among the other European leagues, only behind Switzerland, and in front of European top leagues like the KHL, SM-Liiga and Elitserien.

So far you can't tell if any of these events have had a lasting effect.
Getting people to watch a one time (or once a year) sports event like the outdoor game in Germany is rather easy. Every year they have the Biathlon event in the Schalke stadium and not only do they sell out that arena, there are millions watching on TV. The kind of crowd these events attract would go and watch competitive cow milking if it was done in a football stadium and got the right publicity. :naughty:

It's also not surprising that the average attendance is better or at the same level as in most other European countries, since we have 80+ million people living here.

In the end it always comes down to money, and the DEB has none, or at least they might have none, they won't know until an independent company checked their books. It's a small miracle that hockey in Germany hasn't died considering the way it has been managed in this past years.

I really hope things will improve now, but that will depend on the support of sponsors and politicians and I am skeptical on both accounts.

If the new DEB can actually make some changes and if the national team qualifies for the next Olympics, which I am not sure they will, things might look up, but right now it is hard to see a significant poistive development in German hockey.
Some things improved (a little), others not so much.

Eisdork

Jan 19, 2013
-
An NHL hockey analyst said that before the Olympics this year. Look at where Germany was 30 years ago or even at Nagano in 98. It has come a long way!

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Especially since the results of the German Nationalteam has been abysmal over the past decade.

At Nagano Germany finished 9th, 30 years ago in Sarajevo we finished 5th. For this years Olympics Germany reached a new low point by not even qualifying!

Yes it has been a LONG way... to the bottom! And that's where we hope we are, and that from here on (with the new DEB presidency) it will only go up.

Eisdork

Jan 19, 2013
-

I agree there have been a number of very positive developments in German hockey over the past years. On a long term view the establishment of true professionalism via the DEL is maybe the most positive change in German hockey. (Unfortunately most of it has happened outside the public view due to the disastrous media deals of the DEL). On the short term view I think the availability of game broadcasts via ServusTV to a larger public and its rising TV viewership is VERY encouraging. Plus with the CHL being broadcast by Sport 1 I think we never had this much German hockey available to the TV viewer.
Plus, maybe I am one of the few German hockey fans who is very happy to see the big push Red Bull is providing, not only by distributing games via ServusTV, but also by its aim to establish a new major team in one of Germany's biggest cities and building a brand new 10.000 seat arena.

Have you read Bröker's book "Eishockey in Deutschland"? It's THE (and only) book on hockey history in Germany, basically covering all seasons (although at a sometimes mind spinning pace).

After reading it I realized that even though it might not feel like it, but at the moment German hockey might be in the most stable situation it has ever been in. Hockey has always been a complete chaos in Germany. Sure there are many fans who are looking back at "the good old times", but when you read about what was going on behind the scenes with the never ending bankruptcies, league changes and owners getting in trouble with the law, then you realize that "the gold old times" where no better than the current times, they were actually worse.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Especially since the results of the German Nationalteam has been abysmal over the past decade.

At Nagano Germany finished 9th, 30 years ago in Sarajevo we finished 5th. For this years Olympics Germany reached a new low point by not even qualifying!

Yes it has been a LONG way... to the bottom! And that's where we hope we are, and that from here on (with the new DEB presidency) it will only go up.

Tha national team most certainly hasn't been abysmal over the last decade, that would be an absurd claim. Yes, the last tournament was bad, as was missing the Olympics, but Germany most certainly wasn't on its way down.

It's funny, one or two bad years and "we are doomed". Yet whenever everyone else who is roughly on the same level as Germany has such a stretch no one who criticises the German team bothers to mention it. Belarus managed to reach the quarterfinals this year and even had a chance to win it, but where did they finish the three years prior to that? oh that's right, 14th, 14th and 14th place, terrific :sarcasm:
You can do the same for virtually every team, heck if you take the period around 2010/11, Germany fared better than any of its competitors.

In the last decade, Germany made it to the semi-finals for the first time since the knockout-round was reintroduced, we also beat Russia in the World Championship for the first time ever. To act as if Germany has somehow gotten worse and everyone else has only gotten better is ludicrous.

The results are what they have always been, some good years, some average years, some bad years. The difference to the 80s and older, is that there are more countries who have a solid pool of players.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Good points Sanderson. Eventhough Germany isn't at the level of Scandinavia or the Czechs it feels like they are more respected as a hockey nation than ever before.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I dont want to bump into this thread, but how the situation with popularity, tv availability has changed over the years in Germany?

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
All games are broadcasted on pay-tv, and some in free tv. The situation changed a bit. I also have the subjective opinion that media coverage increased a little after the olympics.
The attendance of the games is still good

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
All games are broadcasted on pay-tv, and some in free tv. The situation changed a bit. I also have the subjective opinion that media coverage increased a little after the olympics.
The attendance of the games is still good

Thanks for reply, 5 years ago it was mentioned in this thread that viewership on that pay TV was around 20k, has that gone any better? I mean, is it easier for common people to reach out a Hockey game?

I know nice Numbers, although I see some clubs really screw that average.
Naturally nation as whole care about it a bit more after Olympic heroes last year, on the otherhand if there are no results in near future the interest will fall down back to old trails anyway.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Thanks for reply, 5 years ago it was mentioned in this thread that viewership on that pay TV was around 20k, has that gone any better? I mean, is it easier for common people to reach out a Hockey game?

I know nice Numbers, although I see some clubs really screw that average.
Naturally nation as whole care about it a bit more after Olympic heroes last year, on the otherhand if there are no results in near future the interest will fall down back to old trails anyway.

The DEL got a big sponsorship from T-Mobile. I think it was €2m per season?

All the games are shown on Magneta Sport (by T-Mobile) it costs around €10 per month if you are not a T Mobile customer or free if you are one.

They might show on free tv b ut Magneta seem to be the only way to watch ALL of the games + playoffs. Sport1 also show games but I don't know how many or how popular this channel is.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The DEL got a big sponsorship from T-Mobile. I think it was €2m per season?

All the games are shown on Magneta Sport (by T-Mobile) it costs around €10 per month if you are not a T Mobile customer or free if you are one.

They might show on free tv b ut Magneta seem to be the only way to watch ALL of the games + playoffs. Sport1 also show games but I don't know how many or how popular this channel is.

The playoff games that are available in free tv, often reach around 500.000 viewers on average.

Reactions: Rigafan

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

I would say it has helped in keeping ice hockey relevant, but real change there's not. Maybe hockey is now again positioned a little bit better relative to basketball and handball than it was some years ago.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Is it easy to pick up a national jersey or tees in sports stores across the country or are there areas where the sport is more popular?

I tend to travel 3-4 times a year to Aachen, but in the main sports stores didn’t find anything so far. Making a trip to the skating rink might be something I would consider to do later this month, just need to check if the store is still open.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Is it easy to pick up a national jersey or tees in sports stores across the country or are there areas where the sport is more popular?

I tend to travel 3-4 times a year to Aachen, but in the main sports stores didn’t find anything so far. Making a trip to the skating rink might be something I would consider to do later this month, just need to check if the store is still open.

When in Dusseldorf they had a sports store or two with hockey merch when I went a few years back.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

From my experience it's not easy which is why I bought my jerseys in the DEB online fanshop.
But there are some stores that carry this kind of merchandise, usually in cities/towns with a lot of hockey tradition and probably in some of the biggest cities in the country.

But I am not familiar with any shops in the area around Aachen.
I think there is at least one in/near Munich. If you ever plan to visit Munich I am sure I could find out some more.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I also can't recall ever seeing national team apparel in ordinary sports stores. Actually finding anything except soccer by random will be pretty difficult. Online would definitely be the easiest if that's an option.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I would say it has helped in keeping ice hockey relevant, but real change there's not. Maybe hockey is now again positioned a little bit better relative to basketball and handball than it was some years ago.
The problem is the money, we lack the funding to keep the rinks in good shape and pay the coaches and staff.
Most teams don't have the money to support more children that want to play hockey.
So after teh olympics they couldn't support the demand.

Most cities are closing down the rinks (if the rink is even hockey sutable) because they are run down and cost a lot of money.
And the lack of advertisment is huge.
When i was in High school (2014-2017) i never knew that there was a team in the next city and that this team had the best name ever (Herford Ice Dragons = I always name my NHL franchise teams Ice Dragons, because i really love dragons ;D).
to this day i am mad that i did not take that oppertunity.

And now i don't have that opportunity anymore because even though i am nliving in the Hockeytown of the Netherlands my University does nto have a team or even a beer league and it's hard to find people who want to play with me and to train.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
My local rink even has several teams, but there's hardly any junior activity and with not many exceptions the players are Spätaussiedler. Ice discos are fairly popular but hockey is just vegetating. It's one of the larger cities in Germany but there's no hope of a local player making it to professional hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad