How popular are NHL teams in Sweden

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I'd say the Rangers, by a lot. Then obviously the Red Wings and a lot of people seem to like the Flyers.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Red Wings fandom seems to have died out a little bit for obvious reasons. A lot of it is dictated by the Swedish stars, and with local variances.

Canucks is really popular in Örnskörldsvik for instance because of Näslund, Sedins, Rangers in Göteborg because of Lundqvist and so on.

At least for general fandom. The 'hardcore' fans seem to support anything from NJD to NYR to Tampa.

Natt

Oct 7, 2014
Kungsholmen, Sthlm
To be honest the simple answer would be; where there are lots of big name Swedes atm or in recent history. I've met fans of most teams but I guess Rangers, Ducks, Sharks, Pens Wings and Hawks have the most fans.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
NYR because of a almost constant sprinkle of Swedish players and the fact that it is a city which people actually have visited and often have been to a game at Madison Square Garden too. Being West Coast also improves the likelihood of fandom as you got a chance to see games live without being a fanatic.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
NYR because of a almost constant sprinkle of Swedish players and the fact that it is a city which people actually have visited and often have been to a game at Madison Square Garden too. Being West Coast also improves the likelihood of fandom as you got a chance to see games live without being a fanatic.

Ehm NYR is on the east coast tho not west ^.-?

Well tbh i have no idea what NHL team is the moste populare... since all and met execept for a few die hard hockey fans doesnt give a shit about the NHL.... but the majority have said Colorado just because of Forsberg.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Ehm NYR is on the east coast tho not west ^.-?

Well tbh i have no idea what NHL team is the moste populare... since all and met execept for a few die hard hockey fans doesnt give a **** about the NHL.... but the majority have said Colorado just because of Forsberg.

Yes I had a blackout there, but it still make sense: ppl in Sweden can watch NYR live without hassle.

Reactions: aphyro

expensivebaton

Sep 13, 2018
Nashville since the Swede invasion, Vancouver got 5 Swedes and the best Swedish rookie. Rangers because of Lundqvist. And of course the Redwings because ... the Redwings.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
How has the NHL games on Saturday evenings gone so far? When I was in Göteborg I couldn’t find a bar showing it, even O’Leary’s.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
This needs a poll. Would be exiting to see on wich team Swedes here on HF follow the most . Dont know how to do a poll myself.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
People who jump on the bandwagon only because some Swedes playing there, what happens if their fav. player get traded? Do they follow their player?

I would say that the wings has most loyal swedish fans!

Funny thing, was in a small town in north sweden in the summer, saw a bald guy about 50 years old with a 91 Feodorov jersey on, drinking beer in the sun!

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
People who jump on the bandwagon only because some Swedes playing there, what happens if their fav. player get traded? Do they follow their player?

I would say that the wings has most loyal swedish fans!

Funny thing, was in a small town in north sweden in the summer, saw a bald guy about 50 years old with a 91 Feodorov jersey on, drinking beer in the sun!

I think like for many it's a way to get into a team, but for the actual die-hards who stay up and watch games and follow the teams more closely a few years in they couldn't care less whether or not there are Swedes on the teams. For younger generation who just wants to watch some highlights and wear a baseball hat I don't think there are many following the fortunes of Ottawa post-Karlsson and the Sharks have become increasingly popular. Going to see a rise in Canucks and Sabres fans over the coming years I would imagine and for teams like the Red Wings a steady decline in interest.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
In any swedish town, you could run into people wearing caps from all of the original six teams.
Got Red Wings, Flyers, Bruins, Canadiens, Islanders fans among my buddies here in Örnsköldsvik, and I would say the popularity of Canucks here in town is exaggerated.

...oh, and I have a colleague that wears a Mighty Ducks winter jacket which is one of the most godawful man-made artefacts I ever ran across. But that dude is from South Africa and he bought it at some second-hand shop, first thing when he arrived to the cold north, so I dont blame him...that much. Why do the Ducks even sell winter jackets? Do people even need winter jackets in Anaheim? :)

Casablancas

Nov 5, 2018
Stockholm
As many people say; the Red Wings and Rangers have a quite large following here in Sweden. For me (and I think a lot of others) Toronto is the team to cheer for, all because of Mats Sundin. And now that Babcock is the coach maybe we can see a new "Swedish-team" as with the Red Wings a couple of years ago to which I think the Leafs will get some new Swedish fans. And of course teams like Pittsburgh and Washington with Crosby and Ovechkin will always be popular.

All in all I think wherever Swedes are playing, that's what Swedes cheer for.

KA Olimb

Dec 11, 2015
Colorado and Detroit were the most popular when I lived in Sweden in the late 90s.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
All in all I think wherever Swedes are playing, that's what Swedes cheer for.
Yeah this is true for me too. My friend wsa cheering for Detroit and i for Toronto(not so fun at the time). Now i follow all teams with a lot of Swedes. And Vancouver with EP.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Hej

I was just curious as to what the most popular NHL teams are currently in Sweden. Thanks
Not very.
And couple of years ago boys were choosing hochey as their main sport beaides football. Soccer. But now there is not many younings choosing hockey. To many head injuries not taking seriously by the SHL and of course NHL. And hockey is soo expensive over here.
I guess there are some fans of nhl. I watch a couple a games amonth but there are not very impressive. Living in Sweden we doesn’t care bout the teams in nhl, maybe watching macdavis and Elias Pettersson and the king. Rangers and pitts are the most popular teams i heard of

JHB

Feb 15, 2019
Swedes in general do not follow NHL teams, I think. At least I've never met anyone who was a fan of an NHL team. At least not in the same way as some Swedes will follow PL football teams like Liverpool or Man Utd.

But then again, I've never met a hardcore SHL fan either. I'm from the South, might be different up North.

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
JHB

I disagree with that. NHL is a big thing in Sweden. I believe the diversity in what teams Swedes support is growing and has done since games started being televised much more. These days there are several games every night (some evenings when there are early games). Swedes are knowledgeable about the NHL. 25 years back there were very few games ib Tv here. I followed the league through a subscription to the Hockey News magazine.

The most popular team is the Rangers I'd say, due to Lundqvist.

Myself, I support the St Louis Blues and have done since the late 80's. There is an elaborste and interesting reason for that. Not really, I thought the jerseys were awesome.

I once reffed a game where a former Blue played, when he represented Hammarby in Sweden during a lockout .That was pretty cool.

Football (or soccer as you call it) is my main interest though and Liverpool is my team .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad