How Often do 2nd Year Eligible Players get Drafted to the NHL?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
It seems to me that there must be lots of cases where guys are technically old enough, but don't submit their intention form (or whatever it is), and thus aren't actually "eligible" to be drafted that year? Maybe some guys who stay in junior/college an extra year to prove their calibre and up their payday with a possible higher draft position the next year, or maybe just not physically mature enough with a birthday close to the cutoff, or whatever?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It seems to me that there must be lots of cases where guys are technically old enough, but don't submit their intention form (or whatever it is), and thus aren't actually "eligible" to be drafted that year? Maybe some guys who stay in junior/college an extra year to prove their calibre and up their payday with a possible higher draft position the next year, or maybe just not physically mature enough with a birthday close to the cutoff, or whatever?

I'm pretty sure you don't need that in the NHL. If your age elligible your draft elligible.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
Benjamin Conz should be. If I'm the Oilers I definitely draft the guy in either the 3rd or 4th round.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Benjamin Conz should be. If I'm the Oilers I definitely draft the guy in either the 3rd or 4th round.

Bahaha.. Why?

If he didn't get drafted last year after standing on his head at the WJHC, there is nothing to show he will be drafted this year.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

The new CBA has no such system since '05 but you're right about before that. There were guys like Parise who didn't enter their first eligible draft year because they wanted to get a season of college in before getting drafted.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Franzen is a good example of this
Actually that's kind of a bad example. He was drafted back when European players could only enter the NHL, if they are drafted. That's why there were so many overaged Euro draftees in the 90's and early 2000's (pre-lockout). Now you can just sign them as free agents.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
What was the point of that?

play college hockey for a year with out the pressures of being an NHL prospect?

it cant be the best feeling in the world to have a multi million dollar team "owning your rights" while you get adjusted to campus life, try and play hockey at an extremely high level with and against players who are older than you and more skilled. Gotta be tough as heck to have to attend school while playing and traveling and all that

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
I'm a little confused by the 2nd year eligibility thing. If a player is passed over in his initial draft year, what rule dictates that anyone can sign him as a FA? Maybe this is the EHM in me but when I tried to sign players passed over once, it said I couldn't because player was "still draft eligible."

So, can anyone sign a kid not drafted in the 1 year window between his initial draft year and second draft year (eg. JP Anderson)? But, if he is drafted in the 2nd draft, his rights become protected by the team that drafts him? So, why wouldn't a team who was interested in drafting him just sign him to a contract before the draft instead of "wasting" a pick on him? I'm not sure why Perron needed to be drafted but Anderson didn't? Obviously, I'm missing some minor detail so any clarification would be great (maybe position, maybe window like before CHL season starts heading into post-draft eligible year like Perron could have been signed but no one knew he'd be any good in between his St Jerome and Lewiston year), CHL drafting vs FA pickup or something...).

Glaurung

Aug 31, 2003
I'm a little confused by the 2nd year eligibility thing. If a player is passed over in his initial draft year, what rule dictates that anyone can sign him as a FA? Maybe this is the EHM in me but when I tried to sign players passed over once, it said I couldn't because player was "still draft eligible."

So, can anyone sign a kid not drafted in the 1 year window between his initial draft year and second draft year (eg. JP Anderson)? But, if he is drafted in the 2nd draft, his rights become protected by the team that drafts him? So, why wouldn't a team who was interested in drafting him just sign him to a contract before the draft instead of "wasting" a pick on him? I'm not sure why Perron needed to be drafted but Anderson didn't? Obviously, I'm missing some minor detail so any clarification would be great (maybe position, maybe window like before CHL season starts heading into post-draft eligible year like Perron could have been signed but no one knew he'd be any good in between his St Jerome and Lewiston year), CHL drafting vs FA pickup or something...).

Yes, there is a window between Entry Draft and start of the Major Junior season / NHL regular season depending on the case. There are also some different restrictions for North American and non-North American players. Sections 8.9 (b) and 10.1 (d) of CBA apply to this situation, so you might want to check those if you are interested in checking the details.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Mark Streit was drafted when he was 27, so he was 9th year eligible :D
Why did they even draft him, couldn't they just have signed him? Or did they think other teams were interested?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Mark Streit was drafted when he was 27, so he was 9th year eligible :D
Why did they even draft him, couldn't they just have signed him? Or did they think other teams were interested?

No, they couldn´t. Under the old rules all European players had to be drafted, none of them were FAs. Streit is by far not the only Euro player who got picked older than what is the draft age now, there were a number of them every draft year back then.

Today all European players have just 3 draft years (I think it´s only 2 for players with late birthdate) and if they´re not picked they become free agents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->