How often did Brian Boyle line up as a defenseman

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
During his tenure in this organization, how often was Brian Boyle slotted in the back end?

I just remember there was some experimentation with him before he got shipped out

And who was his partner when he did play as a defenseman
Whether it was in Manchester or up with the Kings

Captain Mittens*

Boyle was never used as a big, big D
ALL. What, never?
CAPT. No, never!
ALL. What, never?
CAPT. Hardly ever!

HMS3c.jpg

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
It was in Manchester, though I don't recall who his partner was.

It was only in Manchester and only about 30 games that he played. If I remember right his partner/s were mostly Richard Petiot and Drew Bagnall during that span of games. He also was used on the PP with I think Jeff Likens or peter Harrold.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It was only in Manchester and only about 30 games that he played. If I remember right his partner/s were mostly Richard Petiot and Drew Bagnall during that span of games. He also was used on the PP with I think Jeff Likens or peter Harrold.

I think you're right, boy, it's been forever since i've heard any of those names.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

Wow, those names take me back to dark days.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The experimentation of Boyle as a defenseman actually started at Boston College, where Boyle would play the point on the PP from time-to-time, and I guess the Kings being desperate to have more defensive depth in the organization tried to see if he could play regularly at that position, which they found out he could not.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
The experimentation of Boyle as a defenseman actually started at Boston College, where Boyle would play the point on the PP from time-to-time, and I guess the Kings being desperate to have more defensive depth in the organization tried to see if he could play regularly at that position, which they found out he could not.

Believe he actually played D a bit at BC and not just on the PP.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
In his senior year at BC, he played defense and then played about half the season with manchester on defense. He actually had a very good year production wise with 31g and 62pts that year.

I still think Boyle has more upside than he's shown. The guy has great hands.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
He played D with the KINGS too, not just Manchester, though not DURING any Regular season games that I recall, but I do remember during Training camps and a couple Pre-Season games he was on D. And yeah he was partnered with Likens in Manchester, and Harrold while in Camp with the Kings.

They thought with his size and reach he would do well, but he was just too slow on D for the pro-levels, and switched him back to a center, and then everyone wanted him to play mean and nasty since he was so big. In short they totally mismanaged and screwed up his development, here's a guy that had the potential to be another Joe Thornton style of player and instead the Kings turned him into more a Steve McKenna. GOOD on Boyle, once he was traded to New York, for taking things into his own hands and getting himself a skating coach that helped him and for refocusing himself enough to give himself an NHL career these last several years. Overall, the guy had a world of potential, just never really put it all together nor lived up to it, in part thanks to how he was jerked around somewhat by the Kings.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/2008/03/26/brian-boyle-interview-1/ - For a Trip down memory lane

Q: How comfortable were you with the experiment of converting you into a defenseman?

Boyle: I was more comfortable playing back there in college, I mean I would just pick the puck up and skate forward with it as far as I could and if I got beat defensively I wouldn’t even try to skate backwards, I’d just pretty much turn around and play just like a forward on the back line. It (the change to defense) was something I was pretty excited about in the beginning. But then there was so much pivoting and backwards skating that was really tough for me and I didn’t adapt as well as I wanted to. I started getting more comfortable with it just before they switched me back to forward, so I was a little disappointed. I saw it as a challenge and I wanted to stick with it, but I’m definitely thankful that I’m back up front. I think it is definitely more natural for me.

—–

Q: Coach Morris said you will be a dominant force especially if you add some more snarl to your game. Do you feel you have added the necessary nastiness to your game to be the force he is talking about?

Boyle: I think so. He’s told me that a little bit throughout the course of the year and I’ve told him that I’m ready and willing. It’s funny though, because all through my life and in college we really weren’t allowed to trash talk, get physical after the whistle or establish any kind of intimidation, I mean it was pretty much frowned upon at BC, to a point where I would get yelled at in games (laughs). So I just let coach (Morris) know that I’m up for it, but just let him know where I came from.

—–

Q: Okay, the tall question – When you are a bigger guy, is there just an expectation that you will be a nastier, dirtier, more physical player?

Boyle: I think it can be, so why not utilize it. And from the coach’s perspective I need to be and I agree with him. You don’t have to go out there and be a heavyweight fighter and that’s all you do. But if you mix that in it just adds an extra component to your game. I’ve never been afraid of fighting or the physical stuff at all. I’ve just been told not to do it, until now. I’m willing now; it’s just learning when is the right time. I don’t have to do much of it now because we’ve got Kevin (Westgarth, 167 PIM), and Paul (Crosty, 198 PIM) down here, and even Drew Bagnall (98 PIM) steps in and take care of a lot of the fighting. We’re all physical and playing with an edge. It has definitely helped me as a player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad