How Much would it cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
Lets say that Winnipeg and Quebec would get there teams back what are the chances and what would it cost them to get the Jets/Nordiques name back from Phoenix/Colorado. I would like to see these teams back in the nhl but it would be stupid to see them with other names. I really dont mind the "Wild" mostly because i really like there jersey but i wouldnt mind them returning to the "North Stars" name. Did Minnesota try to get there name back when they came back in the league?

Fugu

Sometimes it is the team that moves that keeps its name. The old Minnesota North Stars franchise moved to Dallas and became the "Stars". When the Atlanta Flames franchise moved to Calgary, they kept the Flames name as well, although I don't think Calgary ever had a huge fire! Obviously the Nordiques changed their name when moved to Colorado, as did the old Rockies.

It appears it is up to the owner for the most part as long as a name is not already taken.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
Fugu said:
Sometimes it is the team that moves that keeps its name. The old Minnesota North Stars franchise moved to Dallas and became the "Stars". When the Atlanta Flames franchise moved to Calgary, they kept the Flames name as well, although I don't think Calgary ever had a huge fire! Obviously the Nordiques changed their name when moved to Colorado, as did the old Rockies.

It appears it is up to the owner for the most part as long as a name is not already taken.

I can see that COL dosent change there name to the rockies because of the MLB team has that name.....but then did they buy the rights from the New Jersey Devils? (i think colorado moved to NJ)

Verbeek

Human see, human do.
Jul 19, 2005
Pittsburgh
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
Lets say that Winnipeg and Quebec would get there teams back what are the chances and what would it cost them to get the Jets/Nordiques name back from Phoenix/Colorado. I would like to see these teams back in the nhl but it would be stupid to see them with other names. I really dont mind the "Wild" mostly because i really like there jersey but i wouldnt mind them returning to the "North Stars" name. Did Minnesota try to get there name back when they came back in the league?

I could see this being a potential war. I could see reason's, although they are greegy ones for those moved teams keeping rights to the name/logo of their days past. Maybe it would be really expensive, maybe they wouldnt want to sell at all.

I know there is a group up in Hartford that managed to get the rights to the Whalers name and logo off of the now Carolina franchise(to save incase the city ever gets a team back), and that is why you don't see vintage whalers jerseys anymore on NHL games.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Actually, 32 would be perfect.

Eight divisions of four teams, top two teams in each division make the playoffs. You could balance the schedule a little better, and allow for those divisional rivalries to take place in the first round of the playoffs.

Anyway, I might be completely out to lunch on this, but I think the NHL itself actually owns all of the trademarks on defunct clubs. I think they picked them up for the Vintage merchandise line. If that is accurate, chances are it wouldnt cost any returning market much, if anything at all, to regain the names.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Verbeek said:
I know there is a group up in Hartford that managed to get the rights to the Whalers name and logo off of the now Carolina franchise(to save incase the city ever gets a team back), and that is why you don't see vintage whalers jerseys anymore on NHL games.
Actually, the State of Connecticut owns the right to the "Whalers" name and logos. They purchased it from Karmanos during the Whalers' exit from Hartford.

So glad to live in a city that has NHL hockey again.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Resolute said:

Eight divisions of four teams, top two teams in each division make the playoffs. You could balance the schedule a little better, and allow for those divisional rivalries to take place in the first round of the playoffs.

Anyway, I might be completely out to lunch on this, but I think the NHL itself actually owns all of the trademarks on defunct clubs. I think they picked them up for the Vintage merchandise line. If that is accurate, chances are it wouldnt cost any returning market much, if anything at all, to regain the names.

I doubt that the league actually owns the trademarks. They probably just have a license to use them.

This was an issue when the Expos moved to DC. One of the most poular suggestions was for them to become the 3rd incarnation of the Washington Senators - the first Washington Senators (1901-1960) moved to Minnesota in '61 and became the Twins and the second expansion Senators (1961-1971) moved to Texas in '72. Apparently the Texas Rangers still owned the Washington Senators name, logo, and trademark. Supposedly they were willing to sell for a nominal fee, but the new DC owners opted for the Nationals - the actual official name of the original Senators until '56 (although fans had always called them the Senators anyway).

Jazz

Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
we have enough 32 would be a disaster
My question was more of a statement as I doubt any Canadian investor would buck up to bring an established team back to Canada.

I'm actually getting sick of these re-location threads, and I don't understand how we Canadians can't understand that teams don't move from bigger markets to smaller ones, except for rare exceptions (ie Atlanta ---> Calgary)

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
kdb209 - and in the NFL, a team that relocates loses the rights to the team name of the city it is leaving. Just because the name remains with the team in baseball doesnt mean the same is true in hockey. Especially if I had heard correct in that the NHL picked up the trademarks itself.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Resolute said:
For once you and I agree on something.

jester099

Aug 19, 2005
Montreal
Fugu said:

Other teams should have... How crazy does Utah Jazz sound ? :)

I sure hope they'd let 'hem take the names back...

I think it would be seen very badly by the industry if Colorado prevented Quebec to take back it's name, a name they don't even use and never was associated with Colorado...

jester099

Aug 19, 2005
Montreal
Jazz said:
My question was more of a statement as I doubt any Canadian investor would buck up to bring an established team back to Canada.

I'm actually getting sick of these re-location threads, and I don't understand how we Canadians can't understand that teams don't move from bigger markets to smaller ones, except for rare exceptions (ie Atlanta ---> Calgary)

You seam to think market is only total population. If you consider Market has being people who know the rules of the game, Quebec city is probably a bigger market the Houston, San Diego, or any city in the South that haven't seen hockey in their life.

Just because there are more people in Houston than in Quebec city doesn't make Houston a better place to sell winter clothes.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Resolute said:
kdb209 - and in the NFL, a team that relocates loses the rights to the team name of the city it is leaving. Just because the name remains with the team in baseball doesnt mean the same is true in hockey. Especially if I had heard correct in that the NHL picked up the trademarks itself.

Well, rather than just rely on the "what other leagues do" and "if I heard correct", I just took a look at the US Patent and Trademark Office and the Canadian Intellectual Properties Office searchable databases and found that the NHL does indeed own both the US and Canadian trademarks on the Quebec Nordiques and Winnipeg Jets.

http://www.uspto.gov/index.html

Word Mark QUEBEC NORDIQUES
Translations "Nordiques" is Canadian French for "Northerners".
Goods and Services IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: clothing, namely, , caps, , hats, , jackets, jerseys, shirts, shorts, sweatshirts, , T-shirts. FIRST USE: 19790622. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19790622
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Design Search Code
Serial Number 75774365
Filing Date August 12, 1999
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition September 12, 2000
Registration Number 2808917
Registration Date January 27, 2004
Owner (REGISTRANT) National Hockey League NOT-FOR-PROFIT ASSOCIATION CANADA 1251 Avenue of the Americas New York NEW YORK 100201198
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record Mary J. Sotis
Prior Registrations 1248687;1248688
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "QUEBEC" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/cipo/trademarks/search/tmSearch.do

APPLICATION NUMBER: 0545495 REGISTRATION NUMBER: TMA338693
FILED: 1985-06-28
ADVERTISED: 1987-10-07
REGISTRANT:
LE CLUB DE HOCKEY LES NORDIQUES,
SOCIETE EN COMMANDITE,
2205 AVENUE DU COLISEE,
QUEBEC,
G1L 4W7
QUEBEC
CURRENT OWNER:
NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAQUE,
1251 AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS,
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10020-1198,
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

REPRESENTATIVE FOR SERVICE:
BERESKIN & PARR
BOX 401
40 KING STREET WEST
TORONTO
ONTARIO M5H 3Y2
TRADE-MARK:
QUEBEC NORDIQUES
DISCLAIMER TEXT:
The right to the exclusive use of the word QUEBEC is disclaimed apart from the trade mark.
INDEX HEADINGS:
QUEBEC NORDIQUES
NORDIQUES, QUEBEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->