How much will the expansion fee for the 33rd team be?

Gambitman

Jan 30, 2019
I also really wonder what naming rights are worth in this environment. Have any been negotiated during covid?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I also really wonder what naming rights are worth in this environment. Have any been negotiated during covid?
Seattle was reported to be between $300-$400 mill with Amazon. That’s a big swing of $100 mill. Surprised that there are no hard numbers given that Amazon is a publicly traded company.

see if any arenas are due up in 2022-2023 for naming rights. Typically those are negotiated around a year in advance given the financial commitment for a 10 year period or longer.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The problem is you can't have more than 32 teams and expect a 16 team playoff to be sufficient in keeping all 32 teams sustainable. If the league was purely based on luck, it would be 50/50 that at least one team misses the playoffs 5 years in a row, and a further 3 % chance they miss 10 seasons in a row.

Of course with poor management on top of the basic odds you get teams like the Coyotes who never even come close to sniffing a championship.

A league that has a completely separate season like the NHL does with the playoffs would need to expand and it seems like there is a complete unwillingness to do so amongst many fans.

With 32 teams you could have all 32 in the playoffs.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
36 means that they don't have really any places to move when things go south. It should be 34 imo. Houston Atlanta KC Portland

Or Houston Atlanta KC Quebec. All expansion.
IT'S NOT JUST 36:

THE FEEDER leagues must also go to 36..... same when Seattle was announced the AHL expanded to 32.

the ECHL is at 29, with the three new teams coming(T/R/Coralville/Savannah)....

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
IT'S NOT JUST 36:

THE FEEDER leagues must also go to 36..... same when Seattle was announced the AHL expanded to 32.

the ECHL is at 29, with the three new teams coming(T/R/Coralville/Savannah)....
Gotta look out west for that. teams in Montana, Colorado, Wyoming Utah should be considered.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yes just cause we had people willing 650m for Seattle doesn't mean there will be people willing to pay even more for GTA quebec or some other market.
I beg to differ...In a "downturn" the Rich always get richer and the Middle class poorer so there's my answer! I fully expect more at a Cost of course...Expansion...Houston,Quebec city, (2024), Portland,San Diego,(2026)Kansas city,Milwaukee,(2030)Indianapolis,Toronto2(2032)! Hopefully for the sake of hockey there's 4 on 4 soon to save the game...and the 7-3-1 gets changed to 6-3-1 or 8 skaters and a goalie plus players being eligible after 2 seasons and not 3 as it is now! And NHL teams will not be able to fill after losing a player as they have in the past!Want to see 20 team conferences with 16 teams each making the play-offs! If there aren't that many American owners wanting to pony up then Vancouver and Montreal gets a 2nd team with Halifax also getting a team so there would be 12 of 40 Canadian clubs

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I shudder to think of what a post-Covid economy can shell out for NHL expansion fees.

I'm joking, but if I were Seattle, I'd at least send Gary an email about what a Kraken restocking fee might look like.
If I was Seattle and if the American economy doesn't bounce back and Covid is still rearing its ugly head I'd be waiting a year...so that fans can come back en masse and help pay the bills,which will be extensive!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Salt Lake would be a serious consideration...Montana and Wyoming together don't have the population to sustain an NHL team and where would they play...Billings?Boise?
Utah was tried by the existing Grizzlies ownership, andys, they said no, it lasted exactly 5 seasons..... the Grizzlies returned to the ECHL, the AHL team was gifted to Dan Gilbert in 2006..... about the same time time the Gund Brothers sold SJ (Changing the corporate banner from SJSE, TO SVSE), and the Sharks were forced to relocate to Worcester until the AHL Pacific Division announcement in 2014/2015

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
and Seattle moves to the Eastern conference:sarcasm:
Seattle moves to the Eastern conference along with Vancouver Canucks who incidentally were in the Eastern Division during the 1970-71 Expansion year with Buffalo Sabres the sister expansion team! The Canucks Owner want to see whether all the travel will help the team shake the "Winter" doldrums

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->