How much will the cap increase in two years?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I know idea behind the big pro sports cable deals was that it was intended to stop the bleeding of cable cutters. But has that worked out? The optimum time for signing a new TV deal might have been a couple of years ago.

Another question I have is how serious the league is about streaming options, which Bettman is apparently bullish on. Will they at some point offer an "all you can eat" package, with no blackouts? If they do that it would eat into their cable deal but could make them more money overall.

Netflix is spending $15bn alone on content this year, Apple plans to spend $6bn, HBO is at $3bn, Hulu spends about $2.5bn, and Disney is planning on spending $1bn on its new service (along with the opportunity cost of putting its huge library on there).

At some point a streaming service is going to get into the sports game, big time. Will the NHL be a first mover?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think some of you are undervaluing what the next TV deal is going to bring. The WWE new tv deal increased revenue 3.6 times over their old deal. With the competition brewing for the TV rights I could easily see an increase greater than what most of you are speculating. With cable cutting becoming more and more popular TV rights are only going to increase in value in the next two years too.

I know idea behind the big pro sports cable deals was that it was intended to stop the bleeding of cable cutters. But has that worked out? The optimum time for signing a new TV deal might have been a couple of years ago.

Another question I have is how serious the league is about streaming options, which Bettman is apparently bullish on. Will they at some point offer an "all you can eat" package, with no blackouts? If they do that it would eat into their cable deal but could make them more money overall.

Netflix is spending $15bn alone on content this year, Apple plans to spend $6bn, HBO is at $3bn, Hulu spends about $2.5bn, and Disney is planning on spending $1bn on its new service (along with the opportunity cost of putting its huge library on there).

At some point a streaming service is going to get into the sports game, big time. Will the NHL be a first mover?

Amen. This is what pinpointing that next nummer will be all about. The cable industry is dying (in its current form at least), but one of the few things that work as life support is pro sports rights. But these things can change in a hurry. You can hit jack-pot for whatever reason, or its possible that things are slower.

In addition, the NHL has -- rightfully IMO -- opted for coverage over the bottom line the last deals. I.e. no more FX deals. What is the plan this time around?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

The potential issue I see is that currently the cable companies/tv networks are each offering streaming packages.

So, can one single service provider get everyone to sign with them ? I would hope so. Lately I'm seeing DAZN adds at a 20$/month for NFL.

Like it's interesting, but if DAZN is 20$ for NFL, another one is 20$ for MLB, another one for NBA and NHL...either I can pay 80$/month to watch on demand all sports I watch...or I can pay 80$/month to a Cable company, get all sports channels plus another 30-50 extra channels.

So I honestly don't think we're just there yet on the price for quality/quantity point yet. Cable companies still have that advantage.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
US economy is destined for a correction here soon. The housing market alone is riding the tail end of a bubble. Not to mention the looming auto loan bubble that a lot of economists have been cringing at for a few years. All of these things I feel could effect the cap over the next few years with their effects to the US dollar. The cap will go up for sure. But I think people looking at a 100m cap within the next 2-3 years are overly optimistic, which I have not seen many saying it here but I have in Trade Forum discussions here or there. By 2022/23 we’ll be at a 90+ cap. And close to or just crossing a 100 by 2025/26.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad