How much will additional Revenues from Winnipeg increase Cap?

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
As it stands, the current Salary cap is at $59.4 million and the floor is at $43.4 million. According to Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/31/hockey-valuations-10_Atlanta-Thrashers_317422.html) their revenues are about $71 million.

The Revenues of the Edmonton Oilers are only bringing in $87 million, however as it is right now they do not own their building, and I'm not sure if they keep the revenue from food/beverage sales, or if that is done by a completely different company. The city of Edmonton also has a metro population of about 1.1million compared to Winnipeg that sits around 700,000.

According to the Oilers Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/31/hockey-valuations-10_Edmonton-Oilers_314229.html), the Flames have an additional $15-$20 million in revenue due to other events being in the building that they get to keep. These additional revenues however would not go towards the cap figures obviously.

I am going to guestimate that the benefits of owning their own building in Winnipeg will roughly balance out the fact that their attendence compared to Edmonton will be about 1000 less per game based on seating capacity.

I guess the question is - How much more additional revenue should we expect from the franchise once it moves to Winnipeg? I'm assuming that a quick calculation of 54% of that additional revenue divided by 30 teams would give us a rough estimate of how much additional cap space this move would give the NHL?

Does that sound reasonable? Anyone care to guess on how much that might be?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
sens are at 96, oil at 87 according to forbes.

expect winnipeg somewhere in the middle.

so basically a 20M increase over atlanta, or a 350k-400k increase in the cap.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i would not be surprised if there is a stipulation in the deal that winnipeg is ineligible for revenue sharing for a certain amount of time.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
i would not be surprised if there is a stipulation in the deal that winnipeg is ineligible for revenue sharing for a certain amount of time.

I'd bet anyone, if they meet their ticket sales goals, they won't be a revenue sharing team for the first 5 years anyway.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

VERY unlikely.

Revenue Sharing is now a subject of collective bargaining - and cannot be modified without the consent of the NHLPA.

There is no way the NHLPA consents to anything that would lower the potential payroll of a team.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
How many suites does MTS have? I know it's a small arena, while the $82 average seems a bit high when you look at the ticket range, it doesn't look that bad. Selling out every game shouldn't be that tough with only 15k seats. Nashville averaged 15.8k in paid attendance this season, so of course a Canadian market should easily be able to match that.

Suites revenue in Nashville really help, with having 70 suites and those are rented out for the entire year, not just for hockey events but suite owners have them for every event, which here includes CMT music fest and the CMT awards.

Last edited:

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
Depends what they gate. I'm not really sure where a significant outside cash flow is going to come from.

They own the building so that's a big +. I would guess in the range of $85M. (for their revenue, lol, not increased value over Atlanta) Their ticket prices are high but the "lock-in" prices (which you figure almost everyone is going to be paying) aren't that insane.

Hugh Mann*

LOL @ the OP. Never trust a private business' own accounting. Any company can cook the books (legally) to post whatever numbers are politically expedient. Many times in the past pro sports clubs have posted "losses" to extort the taxpayers out of funds for new arenas and whatnot.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Is the relocation fee (I assume there is one) considered "league revenue"?

Yes, but not for HRR calculations. (Relocation, territory indemnifications are not explicitly included. One of the things the union may want to change in new CBA.)

GSC2k2*

How many suites does MTS have? I know it's a small arena, while the $82 average seems a bit high when you look at the ticket range, it doesn't look that bad. Selling out every game shouldn't be that tough with only 15k seats. Nashville averaged 15.8k in paid attendance this season, so of course a Canadian market should easily be able to match that.

Suites revenue in Nashville really help, with having 70 suites and those are rented out for the entire year, not just for hockey events but suite owners have them for every event, which here includes CMT music fest and the CMT awards.
The MTS Centre has 48 suites - 46 regular suites and 2 "party suites" (game by game rentals).

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
LOL @ the OP. Never trust a private business' own accounting. Any company can cook the books (legally) to post whatever numbers are politically expedient. Many times in the past pro sports clubs have posted "losses" to extort the taxpayers out of funds for new arenas and whatnot.

LOL @ this post. Never trust the claims of a union that is negotiating for its members.

You make it sound like it is impossible for a private business to lose money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad