How much will 3 on 3 OT benefit the Oil?

Thunderstick

Jun 24, 2008
Alberta
Just looking for opinions if the new OT format will help the Oilers get a few more points.... and sorry if this is posted somewhere else but what combination of players would be most beneficial in this type of scenario? I was thinking something Ike Hall- Eberle- Klefbom for defensive responsibility as weĺl

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
The combination of speed and skill should benefit the Oilers immensely. Hall - McDavid is going to be a treat to watch 3v3. Can't ****ing wait!

My opinion for 3v3 is to go for the gusto. Assemble the best offensive threats possible.

Edit: I'll be curious to see if Yak gets trusted enough by TM to even get a sniff in overtime.

Last edited:

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
The combination of speed and skill should benefit the Oilers immensely. Hall - McDavid is going to be a treat to watch 3v3. Can't ****ing wait!

My opinion for 3v3 is go for the gusto. Assemble the best offensive threats possible.

And we've already seen McDavids and Halls 2-0 talents from Biosteel, so pretty much guaranteed victory

They are gonna blow past people or get scored on instantly, I doubt we see any shootouts

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
3 on 3 was a treat to watch last season in the AHL. OKC got to be pretty good at it as well, as they set a record for O.T. games in the league last season. Essentially turns into who gets possession of the puck as it turns into keep away, but should it go the other way it's always an odd man rush.

Interesting seeing some teams go 2 F 1 D while others go vice versa, but I'm sure EDM will go 2 forwards, and a d man in the ilk of sekera/Klefbom. Sadly though I can see Schultz being a 3rd forward and get caught deep many times or getting outmuscled for the puck resulting in plentiful 2 on 0 rushes for the other team.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
3 on 3 was a treat to watch last season in the AHL. OKC got to be pretty good at it as well, as they set a record for O.T. games in the league last season. Essentially turns into who gets possession of the puck as it turns into keep away, but should it go the other way it's always an odd man rush.

Interesting seeing some teams go 2 F 1 D while others go vice versa, but I'm sure EDM will go 2 forwards, and a d man in the ilk of sekera/Klefbom. Sadly though I can see Schultz being a 3rd forward and get caught deep many times or getting outmuscled for the puck resulting in plentiful 2 on 0 rushes for the other team.

You could probably clear this up for me, but didn't Nelson even use 3 forwards sometimes? Could've sworn I heard him say that. Ballsy, but if true, I like his thought process.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
You could probably clear this up for me, but didn't Nelson even use 3 forwards sometimes? Could've sworn I heard him say that. Ballsy, but if true, I like his thought process.

Majority of the time Hunt/Oesterle logged majority of the 3 on 3 on the back end I believe. Nelson might have went 3 forwards a few times, but by the end of the season you were better off with Hunt/Oesterle due to the thin forward group at that time. I probably do remember seeing him use 3 forwards sometimes when he had Pitlick/Pakarinen/Lander etc. on the club.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hall - McDavid-Klefbom

Eberle-RNH- Schultz

Yak-Lander-Sekera

Poo-Letestu-Nurse

That's deadly.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
I think you can really use schultzs wrister in the 3v3 scenario.

I also think the defensemans defensive attributes are almost nullified except for ability to play the 2v1 rush against properly, so unless one dman is especially good at that, offense comes first.

Therefor:

Hall - McDavid
Schultz

Nuge - Eberle
Sekera

Pouliot - Yak
Nikitin/Nurse/Klef

Rotate those 3, or maybe even just the top 2.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Hall-McDavid-Sekera
RNH-Schultz-Klefbom
Eberle-McDavid-Sekera
RNH-Hall-Klefbom
Eberle-McDavid-Schultz

Nobody outside the top 2 lines will see the ice in 3v3.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hall-McDavid-Sekera
RNH-Schultz-Klefbom
Eberle-McDavid-Sekera
RNH-Hall-Klefbom
Eberle-McDavid-Schultz

Nobody outside the top 2 lines will see the ice in 3v3.

I could see Pouliot getting some time. Otherwise I agree. I don't think Yak would be that great at 3 on 3.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
3-on-3 will likely be like 4-on-4 and the results will be random. IE, advanced stats guys will tell you that overtime is too small of a window to predict using the usual measures.

Having said that, I think we will do worse because of our defensive depth. Sekera will be our only legit option on d. Imagine playing against STL in OT. They can roll out 3 dmen who are all better than our #1 guy. Ouch.

I'd run Sekera on my first line in OT, and pair him with CMcD and Hall.

Then Schultz with Nuge and Pouliot.

Then Klef with Lander and Ebs.

Mark my words, players will be scared of shifts in OT. They will not want to be the one to guess wrong with coverage and look the fool. Goalies will rely on luck.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
I think you can really use schultzs wrister in the 3v3 scenario.

I also think the defensemans defensive attributes are almost nullified except for ability to play the 2v1 rush against properly, so unless one dman is especially good at that, offense comes first.

Therefor:

Hall - McDavid
Schultz

Nuge - Eberle
Sekera

Pouliot - Yak
Nikitin/Nurse/Klef

Rotate those 3, or maybe even just the top 2.

It will be just man on man, so Schultz is a good enough skater that he should keep up fine, but I still don't like our chances with Schultz on the ice against the opponents top guns with so much open ice to work with.

Not trying to just single Schultz out either, as there are others on the blue line I don't trust to contain their man once they get caught chasing around.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
First year I think well fair ok. I think wed be better in a shootout with our guys

After that well be pretty elite.

McDavid will be the best 3 on 3 player in the league, even above Crosby. He will absolutely eat 3 on 3 up. Hes so good in open space, and so elusive and fast to put the game away at any time

Hall, RNH, Eberle are all very well suited for 3 on 3. RNH can probaly play D on 3 on 3 for an all out assault, hes good enough defensively to hold his own.

Klefbom and Nurse are extremely well skating D who can move the puck well and provide some offensive threat. Theyll be good. However Schultz will be the best D option

My units:

McDavid-Hall-Sekera- end OT as soon as possible with them
RNH-Eberle-Schultz- feast on some secondary opposition

slot in Klefbom, Yak, Poo where need be

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
In the past decade, everytime I think there's a rule designed to help the Oilers, it ends up biting them.

So I'd like to wait and see how this plays out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this may be our ticket to the post season. I could see us being one of those teams that makes the playoffs but gets bounced in the first round, but gets in because we are great at 4-on-4, 3-on-3, and the shoot-out. The non-playoff abilities.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Every team's fans probably think they are going to rule 3 on 3 OT, because almost every team has three really good players to put out there.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
In the past decade, everytime I think there's a rule designed to help the Oilers, it ends up biting them.

So I'd like to wait and see how this plays out.

pretty much this ..

There is not a single fan base that can claim 3on3 will be bad for them.

Its like how excited we got when shootouts came into the game with all the fancy players we had.

jgreen

Jun 7, 2015
Edmonton
I don't like the thought of having a wild Schultz on 3v3. His offense might get him caught and lead to bad things on our end. Although if he is on, I would like either a good 2 way player on (RNH, McD) or a fast player (Hall, McD)

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Every team's fans probably think they are going to rule 3 on 3 OT, because almost every team has three really good players to put out there.

This.

Most teams have some very talented star players that will excel 3 on 3. I don't see the Oiler's being the best just because we can throw out McDavid and other 1st overall picks. With that said, we won't be the worst.

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Keith
L.A.: Kopitar, Gaborik, Doughty
Anaheim: Getzlaf, Perry, Fowler
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Kessel, Letang
Washington: Backstrom, Ovechkin, Carlson

If you take a potential weaker team this year, such as Carolina, you still get E. Staal, Skinner, Faulk. No one will be all that bad 3 on 3.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
This.

Most teams have some very talented star players that will excel 3 on 3. I don't see the Oiler's being the best just because we can throw out McDavid and other 1st overall picks. With that said, we won't be the worst.

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Keith
L.A.: Kopitar, Gaborik, Doughty
Anaheim: Getzlaf, Perry, Fowler
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Kessel, Letang
Washington: Backstrom, Ovechkin, Carlson

If you take a potential weaker team this year, such as Carolina, you still get E. Staal, Skinner, Faulk. No one will be all that bad 3 on 3.

Oilers should be able to throw out a better second line than most teams though. Plus their players are really suited for open ice. RNH and Eberle have great chemistry, and then obviously McDavid and Hall (on paper) look like they'd be a force.

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
pretty much this ..

There is not a single fan base that can claim 3on3 will be bad for them.

Its like how excited we got when shootouts came into the game with all the fancy players we had.

Toronto

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
you have to wonder if the league is starting to regret just a little with the 3 0n 3? i mean they didn't count on McDavid going to the Oilers and with him kickstarting an already good offense, the Oilers are poised to no longer be the NHL's byatches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad