How much stock do you put in Mantha’s 18-19 season finish?

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I think it was a perfect combo of finally playing big minutes with Bert and Larks, being completely healthy, and playing against teams not competing as hard heading into the playoffs. But I do think something clicked and he'll have a breakout/better season this year.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
The only times his numbers significantly dropped were His slow start and when he came back from his broken hand.
If youknock off the first month he put up 43 in 55: a 64 point pace. Then he destroyed the world championship with 14 in 9 games.

Considering he's now "earned" his spot with Larkin, and the upward trajectory we saw all year, im comfortable calling 65 his floor this season.

I'm anticipating over 70 points but I'm very high on him.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
When it comes to Mantha being consistent for the majority of a season I'll see it when I believe it. Not breaking his hand in unnecessary fights would help.

Reactions: Darkseider

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He is not in his prime yet, probably starting coming season. It is also his new contract negotiations season. I expect big year from him

Reactions: NotLeddy and Bevans

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I put zero stock in it.

Mantha has been a very hot and cold type player, so seeing him with an insane streak at the end of the season doesn't mean it will translate to him maintaining anything close to that this upcoming season.

Nobody is suggesting he maintains anything close to that. An 8 game stretch with 8 goals and 7 assists would pace him for 82 goals and 72 assists for 150+ points. I don't think people are even suggesting that he approaches half of that. He played about half a season after returning from his injury and performed at a level that translates to roughly 32 goals and 36 assists over a full season. A "hot streak" can also be inferred as "taking over a stretch of games" which is a skill set that nobody on this team seems to have. Larkin does very well in consistently tilting the ice, but he doesn't have quite the same ability to dominate a 4, 5, 6+ game stretch.

If Mantha were to capture anything from that stretch and carry it over, I think it would be confidence in himself. Does it manifest in anything? Do you believe that confidence plays a role in individual performance? Who knows. But I think that he's poised to have a strong year, and to take it one step further, not only is he poised but he pretty much needs to have one or I think his time in Detroit might be questionable at best. I think his assists just naturally follow his overall game, but he will need to be pushing that 35 goal mark to be viewed as a key component, and anything less than 30 will be a bit damning.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's obviously not going 1G 1A per game pace for an entire season, but as long as Blash keeps the BLM line together, they'll all put up more points than last year, at least until Mantha breaks his hand on Josi or McDavid's face. He needs to step it up and break his hand on elite talent, not Witter or Nemeth.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When it comes to Mantha being consistent for the majority of a season I'll see it when I believe it. Not breaking his hand in unnecessary fights would help.

Nemeth gave Larkin a very rough ride. Score at the rate he should and he shouldn't have to fight a Witter type player in the future anyway.

I don't think Mantha should fight often and I do worry about his hands but if it disappears entirely it does change how he might be defended. We will see.

I believe in big Mo, I think he will breakout. Honestly wish we had heard he was in the Larkin workout crew but I get that these guys have off-seasons.

Still Mantha has all the reason in the world to have a homerun season. He is a guy that based on his play can be securing a long-term deals in the neighborhood of 50 to 50+ million or something in the teens and shorter. Him and AA have a lot of incentive to be amazing this year.

Reactions: Zetterbeer

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
The only times his numbers significantly dropped were His slow start and when he came back from his broken hand.
If youknock off the first month he put up 43 in 55: a 64 point pace. Then he destroyed the world championship with 14 in 9 games.

Considering he's now "earned" his spot with Larkin, and the upward trajectory we saw all year, im comfortable calling 65 his floor this season.

I'm anticipating over 70 points but I'm very high on him.

That's way too high of a floor.

I think his ceiling is pretty high, but he will need to put it together over a full season. So his floor has to be lowered to 50 IMO.

As for the question at hand, I put some stock into it. He is still developing as a player so seeing him put a run of dominance together like that is very encouraging. Give him a full season of 18+ minutes with 3+ on the PP and he becomes a player very capable of producing 70 points.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Put much more stock in his entire season stat line, in which he played to about the equivalent of a 60 point player IIRC.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
A lot of advanced stats imply he was very unlucky this season and that even though his counting stats didn't show it, he created a lot of offensive chances, and he and Larkin drove play/possession to a very high degree relative to the rest of the team, even with the blue line being the absolute worst in the league at zone exits with possession.

Personally I'll be surprised if he doesn't put up at least 63 points (assuming he plays most of the season), the hot streak near the end of the month wasn't just flukey unearned points (Bertuzzi for example, a lot of secondary assists he got on LGD's line from November to December, until Blashill put him back with Larkin until he got hurt right before the All Star Break), the games vs Boston and Vegas for example, he was playing like the best player on either team, a dominant, game-breaking power forward. Take away October and he was a 60 pt winger for the remainder of the season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah, hard to project based on 8 games.
And I don't put much stock in the World Championships either, where he beat up on weak teams.
But I definitely see him cracking 30 if healthy and if Blashill doesn't do anything dumb.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
A lot of advanced stats imply he was very unlucky this season and that even though his counting stats didn't show it, he created a lot of offensive chances, and he and Larkin drove play/possession to a very high degree relative to the rest of the team, even with the blue line being the absolute worst in the league at zone exits with possession.

Personally I'll be surprised if he doesn't put up at least 63 points (assuming he plays most of the season), the hot streak near the end of the month wasn't just flukey unearned points (Bertuzzi for example, a lot of secondary assists he got on LGD's line from November to December, until Blashill put him back with Larkin until he got hurt right before the All Star Break), the games vs Boston and Vegas for example, he was playing like the best player on either team, a dominant, game-breaking power forward. Take away October and he was a 60 pt winger for the remainder of the season.

Or there was a glimpse in that game against Philly where he gave Giroux a bit of a cheap shot and the Flyers were trying to get after him. He played like a man out of his mind in that game with two late goals to tie it. I believe that was a home and home, and while he never scored in the second game, he dominated it all the same.

I think it was shortly after that he had a brilliant game against Chicago and had 4 assists. He definitely has the game and the tools to be a guy who can emerge as an elite winger. The mental game is going to be what determines his ceiling.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I put zero stock in it.

Mantha has been a very hot and cold type player, so seeing him with an insane streak at the end of the season doesn't mean it will translate to him maintaining anything close to that this upcoming season.
This. It was nice for him to end the year strong but if he doesn't start this same way next year, doesn't get hurt and keeps it up we are basically just hoping for the "real" Mantha all over again....

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This. It was nice for him to end the year strong but if he doesn't start this same way next year, doesn't get hurt and keeps it up we are basically just hoping for the "real" Mantha all over again....
It's pretty funny that's you're so high on a guy that scored 13 pts in an entire AHL season in Givani, and so down on a guy who scored 15 pts in his last 8 NHL games, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad