How much security should be put for USA-Iran match this fall?

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
In 1998 these two faced off in what was one of the wildest football game in history. Relations between the two have not gotten any better and I'd argue it's gotten even worse since. Another notable thing, Qatar is only a gulf away from Iran.

Will there or should there be even more security for this game than the one 20 ish years ago?

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
i am having a hard time remembering why the game is one of the "wildest football game in history". it was a fairly drab contest in what was a largely forgettable WC for the US.

why are tensions now worse?

the security will be the same as a typical match I would suppose. there will be more security than 24 years ago, but that is more a function of the "importance" of the World Cup and the location of the event.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Normal security. Media will hype it up. England is not popular in Iran either. Remember BP? For players and fans it will be just another game. Fans from USA and Iran that can afford to fly to Qatar and buy World Cup tickets will not be started problems.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the matchup in '98 was nowhere near being "one of the wildest games in history." it was hyped up because of the history between the two nations but the game itself was like any other match. a couple years later, the iranian national team came to the US and played them in a friendly at the rose bowl which was a pretty big deal here given the amount of iranian ex-pats who call LA/OC home and again, it was like any other match

i have a feeling the matchup in the WC will also be just like any other match

Reactions: Ghetty Green

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Weird question anyway. Am I supposed to suggest a specific number of police officers for the match?

Qatar has good ties to Iran, but it's also host to one of the world's largest U.S. military bases, so it looks like they got some experience straddling that particular fence.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
i am having a hard time remembering why the game is one of the "wildest football game in history". it was a fairly drab contest in what was a largely forgettable WC for the US.

why are tensions now worse?

the security will be the same as a typical match I would suppose. there will be more security than 24 years ago, but that is more a function of the "importance" of the World Cup and the location of the event.
USA and Iran have one of the most intense rivalries in the world, it's probably up there with North vs South Korea, Ukraine vs Russia, China vs Taiwan, and India vs Pakistan.

I could definitely see there being more security than normal in that game given the two competing countries

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
no they dont but ok.
there will be no more security than normal, and everyone else in the thread has said similar.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
maybe iran sees it that way? but if so, it's very parasocial of them, in the parlance of our time

Sep 19, 2008
there was a good podcast on the situation with iran, would strongly recommend the scuffed podcast episode on it

anyway an update, Iran re hired Quieroz so there is at least some stability heading into the big November game

In 1998 these two faced off in what was one of the wildest football game in history. Relations between the two have not gotten any better and I'd argue it's gotten even worse since. Another notable thing, Qatar is only a gulf away from Iran.

Will there or should there be even more security for this game than the one 20 ish years ago?
An interesting tidbit about 1998 is that many Iranians in Los Angeles were actually rooting for Iran as opposed to the US when they toppled the US in that WC. (per the podcast listed)

It should be interesting to see what happens in November, again I don't think Iranian people hate the US specifically, it's a government issue

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
USA and Iran have one of the most intense rivalries in the world, it's probably up there with North vs South Korea, Ukraine vs Russia, China vs Taiwan, and India vs Pakistan.

I could definitely see there being more security than normal in that game given the two competing countries
Why? US is home to the most Iranians outside of Iran. Are you insinuating wealthy Americans and Iranians are going to be brawling in the stands without enhanced security? Perhaps you are anticipating a terrorist attack?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad