How much rope does DJ Smith have? [UPDATE: None]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think they have to do something. You can't just leave DJ in there all year, certainly not with the effort we're seeing out there. He himself just looks sad and defeated.

Who's our AHL guy? maybe that's another option since everyone seems to despise Capuano.

David Bell, who only got promoted to head coach of the AHL earlier this year because of the Mann situation

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I’m still on the Gallant train but there are like 8 coaches I’d be happy with now

The talent pool has been piling up nicely so that should help finding a longer term coaching fix

They just need to admit they were wrong with keeping DJ and pick the teams next coach

Reactions: Cosmix and Bileur

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And that's the first time I've heard that name, so I have nothing to offer. What about some other cast off? Gotta be someone out there willing to take a 60 game beating.
Hiring a guy outside the system with an interim tag won't be easy. They will want a permanent tag with it.

If they take the interim label off, there is a handful of guys we could/should be looking at.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Hiring a guy outside the system with an interim tag won't be easy. They will want a permanent tag with it.

If they take the interim label off, there is a handful of guys we could/should be looking at.
until Staois either declares himself the GM moving forward, or actually makes a stronger effort at getting GM, it is unlikely to name a new permanent coach.

Vancouver all over again.. Bruce, there it is!!!

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
They have bolstered the organization in every way possible without rocking the current boat of players and coachs. Spent alot of money, but some posters are saying they are going to cut spending like its fact. So strange. Personally I have liked the approach given the circumstances.

They took the team over in pre season. I dont think they wanted to fire anyone until they had time to do proper evaluations but Dorions incompetence has forced their hand in more ways than one. First with him and now with DJ. An interim coach is the only real decision right now. I want stablility not like its been since Brian Murray moved on. No more knee jerk reactions please.

Keeping Sexton around promoting Martin to HC and finding a D and special teams coach should be the priority. I hope right now Martin is actively looking with Staios and Bowness.

Could Alfie be special teams? Who could run the D? Maybe the staff is Martin, Julien and Alfie? A new goalie coach would also be my priority. Someone needs to help these two guys get it together.
I by no means against letting DJ go. Personally I would have done so already.

Giving up on the team and talking about boycotts is just stupidity however.

Andaluer not being pushed into rash decision because of fan chants is a good thing.

It's more than likely DJ goes in the next 10 games and I will be happy. I'm just even happier with the new owner and the course he seems to be taking.

In my mind JM would be the ideal interim. He is enough of an X's & O's guy to insulate (mentor) Alfie.

Not sure who else would be a A. That's part of the problem as the long term coach will want there people.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That sounds like a half measure. I think it's most important that DJ himself be the one to go. Replace Capuano, sure, but that's not the significant dilemma here imo.
Well at the very least thats what they should do. I personally would like to see an interim tag slapped on Martin here and get two new assistants with the rest of the coachs other than Sexton get replaced. I want anyone thats been in the room and on the bench (other than alfie) replaced. This team needs a new and fresh message. This will give the management side time to make some evaluations on players.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well at the very least thats what they should do. I personally would like to see an interim tag slapped on Martin here and get two new assistants with the rest of the coachs other than Sexton get replaced. I dont want anyone thats been in the room and on the bench (other than alfie) replaced. This team needs a new and fresh message. This will give the management side time to make some evaluations on players.
If Martin would be willing, that seems like the best scenario. No doubt about it.

DJ being gone is a bit symbolic on top of any other changes it introduces, so that's why I think him going is the most important. At least from then on if they keep sucking, the commentary will be about the summer and next year. If DJ stays it's just about him for a while yet.

Reactions: Bileur

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I don't give a shit how long Andlauer has been owner. He didn't magically reset the clock with the team on the ice and certainly not with the fanbase. He had plenty of time before officially taking over to analyze the state of things. and if he didn't do any of that before coming on then that's a bad look now and going forward. There was nothing whatsoever to indicate DJ could suddenly get this group to play the right way based on his 5 previous seasons so what the hell was he waiting for? We're long past any talk of patience regardless of who owns the Senators.

It may not reset the clock but it sure as hell adds time.

The previous regime was amongst the worst in Hockey for a long time. Culture was trash and on and off the ice leadership was terrible.

That won't get fixed in a day, week or month.

You also don't seem to comprehend my point. I want DJ gone and have for a long time. I think he will go. I think JM was brought in just for this reality.

I just don't think the shrieking, hyperbolic response from some fans is warranted or helpful. Calls for boycotts are just plain stupid.

I am happy that we have a smart, savy and experienced owner who seems to have a steady hand. The last thing we need is some cowboy like Melnyk reacting as opposed to thinking things through

Dorion "Forest Gumped" his way into some very good roster pieces so we are not all that far off. We will have an interim coach this year at some point and a "best in class" staff following that. Let the guys do their thing and relax.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
At this point on the road trip, the season already looks lost. Sure he hasn't had a full-strength roster, missing one core player or another in his entire tenure, horrible goaltending, the fact that his players don't know where to be on ice, the hesitations and general lack of cohesiveness..the pathetic powerplay despite strong EV numbers (2nd in the league after Vancouver)...the rope needs to be cut. DJ needs to go.

Reactions: Cosmix

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
There is only one person on this board who takes pride in trolling the fanbase at their lowest.
Thanks man, feels good to be acknowledged. I feel seen. This is the kinda thing that keeps me going.

As always, when times are tough with the sens, I place the blame exactly where it belongs: squarely on the fans. We’re all just a buncha f***in whiny pricks, aren’t we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad