How much of a disappointment will it be if Flames miss the Playoffs?

flames12

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary
Nothing is for certain, but we should be a playoff team on paper. Though how much of a disappointment would it be if the Flames missed the postseason?

I mean it's not that unlikely look at what happened last season to edmonton.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Very disappointing given the roster on paper, we should be a playoff team. However, having a young core softens the blow a bit.

Aug 3, 2010
Very disappointing given the roster on paper, we should be a playoff team. However, having a young core softens the blow a bit.
Not to be the Debbie Downer but it also could point to the fact that this particular "young core" isn't good enough.

Missing the playoffs would suck but there would be fire sales and changes everywhere. It's all a part of the cycle, so you have to hope for something better.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Nothing is for certain, but we should be a playoff team on paper. Though how much of a disappointment would it be if the Flames missed the postseason?

I mean it's not that unlikely look at what happened last season to edmonton.
it would be a fairly big disappointment but a bigger disappointment would be if they traded more 1st and 2nd round picks to attempt to bolster this team or save the season. They need to ride with this team and if adjustments are needed use existing players to adjust the chemestry and start to keep the draft picks to fortify a prospect pool that is low on high end prospects.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yeah it would quite frustrating to miss it 3 times in our last 5 seasons, especially when the two iterations that made it had worse rosters, in comparison.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they miss

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Unless the Flames miss and get Jack Hughes (aka winning the lottery), it will be a massive failure.

Gaudreau is only signed for 4 more years and I am not someone who thinks he bolts right away and goes out east, but if we don't make significant noise in the playoffs (let alone just making it) in the next 4 years I don't doubt he leaves and I wouldn't blame him.

Flames 1st line isn't the problem, the 2nd and 3rd lines need to show up this year along with Smith staying healthy or we're done.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Somewhere between Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Star Wars EP 1 the Phantom Menace.

So ya.. pretty disappointing.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It would be a massive disappointment. It would be another lost season, and would cast severe doubt on whether this core will be able to ever contend.

Although, of course, a lot depends on how they would miss. Having half the lineup injured and missing by one point would be a lot different than being entirely healthy, being a basement team and having Gaudreau fight Giordano in practice.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Yeah it would quite frustrating to miss it 3 times in our last 5 seasons, especially when the two iterations that made it had worse rosters, in comparison.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they miss
This.

It wouldn’t super surprise me, instead of building, treliving has been patching to get into the post season and I’m not convinced we are even that much better this year.

Goaltending will be the difference. If smith comes out flat it will be a long year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Outside of major injury problems it would obviously be a huge disappointment and really put the club in a tough spot.

They just made major moves this off-season so another summer of massive moves seems unlikely. But really at this point it would seem the core would need to be looked at.

The normal move might be to fire Treliving but he just hired new coach and as mentioned made major moves in this off-season so are you going to bring in a new that likely wants to change things up and if he doesn't why get rid of Treliving?

You pass it off as bad luck or just growing pains with a new roster (which I think is what they do) but if you miss next year that is 3 years in a row with no play-offs in basically the middle of the Monahan-Gaudreau-Gio-Backlund window.

Making the play-offs and going out easily in the 1st round likely isn't really that much better in terms of going forward and competing but it sure as hell works better in terms of PR so missing the play-offs altogether would be a disaster because I don't think the ownership or management have willingness to take a hard look at what would need to change if that is the case and I think we would be in danger of going to deep on what may just be a mediocre team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Very disappointing if we miss.

I think Treliving throws significant assets and gets a goalie if Rittich and Gilles aren’t ready yet. Not to say we give up on them, but we need an option to Smith now, not in a few seasons.

I know some posters want a young long term option in net, but personally I think a season or two of stop gaps and letting the farm hands develop is a better option.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'll be pissed off but can look forward to the early tank for this guy

upload_2018-8-15_22-42-29.jpeg

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That’s the 2020 draft. That feels gross typing.

I know but if they dont make the playoff, major rebuild will need to happen and it will take a few years

BT has done everything he can possibly done to tune this club. If they still cant win, I dont think there is quick fix left.

Besides what else can you do when you miss the playoff? Got to have some hope :naughty:

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Extremely disappointing, but anyone who would be shocked isn’t paying attention. We have a player who’s played at replacement level for two seasons on our top pairing and a 35 year old goalie who came back worse from an injury last season starting in net. Sure the forwardcorelooks better but these are major areas of concern.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
If the Flames miss the playoffs I and probably many others would call for a change at the GM level.

Missing the playoffs would be unacceptable in my eyes.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'll be pissed off but can look forward to the early tank for this guy

View attachment 134897

If Flames goal is Alexis in 2020 then Flames need to sell a lot during this upcoming year and next off season. I mean we'd get a hell of a lot of big assets back, since Gaudreau, Backlund, Brodie, Hamonic, Neal, should all be traded. Only players I keep are Monahan since #1 centers are extremely hard to draft and even harder to trade for. Then build the team around Tkachuk and keep Lindholm for 2nd line.

Alexis is a winger, thus I don't trade Mony/Lindy/Janko/Bennett.

Like I love Alexis, I watched him play at the Ivan Hlinka and the kid is far above his competition it's sick to watch, but I really don't want to keep missing the playoffs. What a waste of a signed Gaudreau, a 35 year old Gio, etc.

If I could see the future and see us missing the playoffs the next 2 seasons by only a couple of points because of goaltending/injuries and ended up winning both drafts and got Hughes and Alexis, I'd be fine though, because with those 2 and Chucky we'd have a stupid good, young core + Mony and Lindy would only be 25.

Enough of this anti-playoff talk though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad