Music: How much money did Dave Mustaine make for his Metallica songwriting credits?

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
Dave Mustaine co wrote 4 songs on Kill Em All and 2 songs for Ride the Lightings. Both the albums have sales of at least 10 million worldwide. I wonder in the past 34-35 years how much money he gets for those credits, I'm guessing must be close to a couple of millions dollars total.

I tried to google it and really couldn't find anything about the exact amount.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
They have been in dispute. Don't go off of wiki for actual writing credits as the get edited every few months.

Metallica believes that he had minimal interaction with the creation of those songs

Also it comes down to how the split is decided

Example say you see in the credits three writers of a song. It does mean a 3 way split. It could be a 70 15 15 split

All comes down to the contracts and how they are written

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think the answer above is the best to go by. With the way he and the band split, there was a lot of "hate" for decades and I am sure both sides made sure any contracts were followed to the letter to make sure they were "cheated".

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
It can't have been too great because Dave's bitching about royalties and credit is why they weren't able to do a deluxe remaster box set of No Life Till Leather.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/dave-...y-metallica-brands-lars-ulrich-scared-2336925
Dave Mustaine is still pretty unhappy with Metallica as he brands Lars Ulrich as ‘scared’

He also took aim at Metallica over the supposedly shelved release of the expanded version of Metallica’s 1982 demo tape ‘No Life ‘Til Leather’.
“I’m not gonna give [Lars] my credit, so I’m not gonna be part of it,” said Mustaine. “I wrote all of ‘Mechanix’, I wrote all of ‘Jump In The Fire’, so me giving any percentage of that to Lars Ulrich, he can pound sand. And as far as the song ‘Phantom Lord’, I wrote every note of that music, James [Hetfield] wrote all the lyrics. That’s 50/50.

“If James wants to give his percentage up to Lars because he’s afraid of him, that’s up to him. I’m not afraid of Lars Ulrich, and I’m not giving him my percentage. And the same thing with ‘Metal Militia’; I wrote every single note of that music, James wrote every note of that lyric — that’s 50/50. If James wants to give Lars his percentage, that’s fine if he’s afraid of him. I’m not afraid of him. I’m not giving nothing to Lars Ulrich.”

He added: “Now, they took it in the past [editor’s note: apparently referring to Metallica’s ‘Kill ‘Em All’ debut album, which features re-recorded versions of the songs from ‘No Life ‘Til Leather’] — everybody knows that — and the past is the past. But I could not willingly enter into a new agreement with these guys predicated on Lars getting credit for something that not only he did not do but he was incapable of doing — he was incapable of writing songs that good back then.”

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Dave Mustaine co wrote 4 songs on Kill Em All and 2 songs for Ride the Lightings. Both the albums have sales of at least 10 million worldwide. I wonder in the past 34-35 years how much money he gets for those credits, I'm guessing must be close to a couple of millions dollars total.

I tried to google it and really couldn't find anything about the exact amount.

Lightning*

Your typo did make me giggle and smile though. Kudos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad