How much is 70 games and 5th in save percentage worth?

How much on a 7 year deal

• Total voters

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Essentially the best hockey player in the world.

A reliable, consistent #1 goalie who gives you an advantage in pretty much every single game of the year. An advantage in the MOST IMPORTANT position in the game.

$9-11m seems about right. Less would be an underpayment, but I'm not comfortable paying more to any one hockey player under salary cap.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the every year part is just as important as the rest here,pretty much only hall of fame level goaltenders are actually that consistent and that lack of consistency is the main reason it's not a good idea to give Goalies huge contracts in general

11-13 seems pretty reasonable for that to me

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think when Rinne was given his previous deal he was expected to be more or less that, albeit replace 70 games with 65. He got almost 11% of the cap in income tax-free state. So you are probably looking at ~15% of the cap in another state not called Texas or Florida (Price is at 14%). Which would make it 12.25 mil contract today. If that's guaranteed performance (which obviously doesn't exist in real life) there would definitely be a GM which would add a couple of millions to that (after all it's a 7 year deal with the cap growing all the time).

I would say the poll itself is way off target, anything below 10 mil should never even be choices. Those who vote for those categories are simply saying "I would choose not to sign that goalie".

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The problem is, the difference in save percentage among the top 15 goalies is not all that huge. Over the past 10 years, the top 15 goalies (over 200 games played) are all within .005 of each other in terms of save percentage.

So while you're spending 12.5% of your cap space on a goalie with a .923 save percentage, your competitors may be getting .920 for only 6% of theirs.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
How big of a difference does he have to the ones finishing with a better save percentage? How much higher is his save percentage to the 6th-10th best save percentage goalies? How many games are such other goalies playing?

Also how good is he in the playoffs? Is he a goalie who is better in the playoffs or worse compared to regular season?

Playing 70 games a season and always finishing 5th in save percentage sounds nice but need more info to determine how much I would fee like paying.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think I'm lowballing with 9-11M.
Like if you could magically KNOW that this guy is actually going to play 70 games every season for 7 years and he's STILL going to be top 5 in save % for 5 years?
If we could look into the future knowing exactly what we're going to get out of a player I dare say a team would pay north of 12.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
How big of a difference does he have to the ones finishing with a better save percentage? How much higher is his save percentage to the 6th-10th best save percentage goalies? How many games are such other goalies playing?

Also how good is he in the playoffs? Is he a goalie who is better in the playoffs or worse compared to regular season?

Playing 70 games a season and always finishing 5th in save percentage sounds nice but need more info to determine how much I would fee like paying.
Keep in mind that a goalie who plays 70 games is taking approx. 10-15 starts from your backup. So you're not just paying for the small gap between your top goalie and other top starters, but the bigger difference between having your top goalie in nets for an extra 10-15 games instead of the backup goalie.

Last edited:

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
He could get a good salary, but this is purely theoretical since you can't know that when signing a contract. If would be great if you could wait for a players career is over and THEN pay them their worth haha :D

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Are you kidding me, 80% wouldn't even give him 11m per year???

That guy is a Vezina candidate for 7 straight years, so would easily be worth 12+, there isn't even a debate!

But the deciding fact is that you set a guarantee for him hitting those numbers over the next 7 years! Which is totally not the same as giving a current Vezina winner that kind of deal for the coming 7 years.

Heck, if you could guarantee that McDavid would be the leading scorer for the next 7 years he would be worth 15m+ but that's not how it works. You factor in all the insecurities about injuries, declining etc.
Even more so with the position of a goaltender where it seems to be even harder to maintain on top.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
9-11 for sure as mentioned that goalie is Vezina contender every year. Plus with a goalie like that you can save on Dman to throw more cap at forwards.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

But the consistency matters a ton. If I can guarantee myself 7 years of that, its very easy to at least get into the playoffs for 7 years.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The whole point of not giving a goalie so much money is because it's an unpredictable position with very little consistency. If you're guaranteed those numbers, give him whatever the f*** he wants.

Reactions: Orange Dragon

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Basically describing what Henrik Lundqivst was when he signed his long term deal. He got 8.5M The contracts have went up since then so i'd say 9.5-10M

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Basically describing what Henrik Lundqivst was when he signed his long term deal. He got 8.5M The contracts have went up since then so i'd say 9.5-10M
Lundqvist got a contract taking him to age 39. People knew full well he was going to decline towards the end of it. You need to look at Price or at least Rinne's previous deal.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
$13m, easily! Your theoretical situation has a guarantee attached at a position notorious for variance. That's incredibly valuable.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Honestly, $7-9M. Dont overpay for a goalie. And I'm not sure I would go up to $8.5-9M, even if he was routinely finishing fifth in SV% and could start 70.

I'd rather pay $5-6M for a starter who plays 60 games and finished 10th in SV%.

Reactions: cgf

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
All of the money. He's guaranteed for 70 games every year then I'm starting him at most 48 games in the regular season. Guarantees I'll be in the cup final :sarcasm:

Realistically 9-11 million. That might be the best goalie in the league and there's no risk if you know he's getting that every year of the deal, but still it's hard to justify paying a goalie more than 11 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->