How much higher should have Suzuki and Caufield been drafted?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Maybe Flyers dig "this type" ... big centers like Couturier, Patrick, Hayes

Probably a good idea to trade Patrick. Change of scenery for both

Look Bruins have a struggling player that could use a change of scenery

Debrusk for Patrick?

Well we also drafted Morgan Frost 27th overall in that same round and he is a smaller cerebral playmaking center (who missed all of 20-21 with a shoulder injury and we are hoping comes back next season and makes an impact). I don't think they drafted Patrick because they liked that type per say. He was a consenus top 2 pick that draft and almost every team takes him 2nd overall that year. Just how it goes some years. Scouts get it wrong.

Value wise Patrick for DeBrusk is fine but we have a glut of wingers as it is so it doesn't make sense from a needs stand point.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Girard and Makar vs Vegas

You do understand half the battle is along the boards and in front of the net in the playoffs

Yeah and I also understand that there's a big difference in that regard between Girard and Makar. One of those players is a lot stronger and has much more reach than the other.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BTW...one of the trainers who frequents my friends bar says that CC flips the puck on his stick with his eyes closed. Probably the same thing with the golf ball.

The puck I can see it...but the golf ball? We need a video of that. A light round ball on a curved stick getting flipped....with eyes closed....it would be jaw dropping..

BTW...remember the trick videos Kovalev use to put out? They looked like just trick videos..until you saw him pull some of his moves in a game.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Revisit this thread next spring.

Bet some money that a CC-Suzuki-Taffoli line will be top 5 in the NHL next year. Possibly 2 40 goal scorers.

Just saying....

tenor.gif

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm a Flyers fan and I wouldn't bet a single penny on Patrick developing into a better player than Suzuki. Ironically the Flyers held the 13th pick heading into that 2017 Draft Lottery and had we not won could have possibly ended up with Suzuki. Instead we "got lucky" to move up to 2nd and draft Nolan Patrick, who is on track to be one of the bigger busts in our history.
Really weird how that 2017 draft panned out.
New Jersey (5, Petterson) N. Hischler
Philly (13, Suzuki) N.Patrick
Dallas (8, Middlestat) M. Heisman
Colorado(1, Hischler) Makar
Vancouver (2, Patrick) Petterson
Vegas (3, Heiskanen) Glass

So out of the six teams that were primarily affected by the lottery, 2 of the 3 winners were actually losers, and two of the teams that were devastated by losing the lottery ended up with franchise players.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
They both probably should have been first overall in their respective draft years, maybe even a new exceptional prospect exemption that allows them to be drafted a year earlier

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Maybe others

But already enough sample size of Jack Hughes
Weird post - Hughes was good enough to play in the NHL two years earlier than Caufield and Hughes' ppg numbers are on par with Caufield this season. Caufield also plays for a better team.

Reactions: Bankers Box

Evergreen

I mean being a top 15 pick is pretty darn good. Someone needs to explain to me how Brayden Point went in the third round.
Point is a smaller player and his skating wasn’t great when he was drafted. He’s improved it a lot.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Suzuki firmly #4 in a redraft

1. Makar/Pettersson
3. Heiskanen
4. Suzuki

2019 is harder to say, give it two more years and it's as clear as 2017

Right now you have

Hughes
Dach
Caufield
Zegras
Knight
Seider

I probably go with Dach just because his floor is already a top 6 center. Then you have Zegras Hughes center potential and Knight as the best G prospect since Vasilevskiy.

There is no winger I take above Caufield and only Pettersson as a fwd I take above Suzuki
I'd take Heiskanen over anyone in that draft.

I'd take Caufield over any of the players you listed from that draft. I won't say for sure that he will be the best player from the draft because it's early, and someone could come out of nowhere. But, it's looking like he'll be better than Hughes and the others you listed, which sucks for the Devils lol.

How is Dach's floor a top-6 center when he is currently below that? He's honestly nowhere near being a top-6 center right now, and he really doesn't look that impressive outside of a handful of games in last year's playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad