How much higher should have Suzuki and Caufield been drafted?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Suzuki was a top ten pick, so I don't think it's out of line where he was selected. Cole was widely regarded going into his draft as a top 5 talent, and he and Kaliyev had the best shots, but his lack of size meant he fell to 15. Hard to say where he goes if Montreal didn't take him.

Edit: oops. Thought Nick went top ten. Fair to say that Pettersson, Makar, Suzuki and Necas are the best out of the top 15 so far.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I mean being a top 15 pick is pretty darn good. Someone needs to explain to me how Brayden Point went in the third round.

My guess is scrawny kid that got into good shape/strong lower base

Similar question can be asked about Marchand

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Suzuki firmly #4 in a redraft

1. Makar/Pettersson
3. Heiskanen
4. Suzuki

2019 is harder to say, give it two more years and it's as clear as 2017

Right now you have

Hughes
Dach
Caufield
Zegras
Knight
Seider

I probably go with Dach just because his floor is already a top 6 center. Then you have Zegras Hughes center potential and Knight as the best G prospect since Vasilevskiy.

There is no winger I take above Caufield and only Pettersson as a fwd I take above Suzuki

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd have Caufield maybe 5th in a 2019 redraft. But not much certainty with that - there's several guys that could easily jump back ahead of him and he could end up 10th. For now I'm only confident in Hughes, Seider, and Zegras ahead of him.

Suzuki goes maybe 6th through 8th. Behind Necas, Robertson, Makar, Pettersson, Heiskanen, and not sure about Norris or Hischier.

Maybe others

But already enough sample size of Jack Hughes

Jack Hughes started in the NHL too young, he's younger than Caufield and still filling out. He's actually younger now than Caufield was when Caufield made his NHL debut. And their scoring paces are pretty similar this year, so I don't know why Caufield would go ahead. Hughes' finishing is his weakest part of the game, outside of that he makes a much bigger impact than Caufield.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I'd have Caufield maybe 5th in a 2019 redraft. But not much certainty with that - there's several guys that could easily jump back ahead of him and he could end up 10th. For now I'm only confident in Hughes, Seider, and Zegras ahead of him.

Suzuki goes maybe 6th through 8th. Behind Necas, Robertson, Makar, Pettersson, Heiskanen, and not sure about Norris or Hischier.

Jack Hughes started in the NHL too young, he's younger than Caufield and still filling out. He's actually younger now than Caufield was when Caufield made his NHL debut. And their scoring paces are pretty similar this year, so I don't know why Caufield would go ahead. Hughes' finishing is his weakest part of the game, outside of that he makes a much bigger impact than Caufield.

Robertson is very good but if you swap Suzuki for Necas or Robertson they don't pass the first round

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Robertson is very good but if you swap Suzuki for Necas or Robertson they don't pass the first round

That's not the question you ask if you're comparing players. Most everyone is more adapted to the team they're on. The Habs would need a center.

But I don't know if what you said is literally true either. The talent level of Necas and Robertson would leap off the ice if you saw them play for the Habs.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
That's not the question you ask if you're comparing players. Most everyone is more adapted to the team they're on. The Habs would need a center.

But I don't know if what you said is literally true either. The talent level of Necas and Robertson would leap off the ice if you saw them play for the Habs.

I've seen them play. Necas is still raw but Robertson plays like a vet.

I just think there's a slim to zero chance that both players are capable of putting up the consistent playoff contributions on both ends of the ice as Suzuki. Also what makes it easier is Suzuki is a center. Much more valuable. Necas still plays wing

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've seen them play. Necas is still raw but Robertson plays like a vet.

I just think there's a slim to zero chance that both players are capable of putting up the consistent playoff contributions on both ends of the ice as Suzuki. Also what makes it easier is Suzuki is a center. Much more valuable. Necas still plays wing

Having a center is much more valuable if you don't have a center, sure.

Jason Robertson was one of the best 5v5 players in the entire league this year and he's a big handful, I can imagine him doing even better in this playoffs.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Suzuki was a top ten pick, so I don't think it's out of line where he was selected. Cole was widely regarded going into his draft as a top 5 talent, and he and Kaliyev had the best shots, but his lack of size meant he fell to 15. Hard to say where he goes if Montreal didn't take him.

Edit: oops. Thought Nick went top ten. Fair to say that Pettersson, Makar, Suzuki and Necas are the best out of the top 15 so far.

I'd argue Heiskanen has had an okay start to his career too lol

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Suzuki firmly #4 in a redraft

1. Makar/Pettersson
3. Heiskanen
4. Suzuki

2019 is harder to say, give it two more years and it's as clear as 2017

Right now you have

Hughes
Dach
Caufield
Zegras
Knight
Seider

I probably go with Dach just because his floor is already a top 6 center. Then you have Zegras Hughes center potential and Knight as the best G prospect since Vasilevskiy.

There is no winger I take above Caufield and only Pettersson as a fwd I take above Suzuki

there’s not a single scenario where I take caufield over seider. He’s having a pretty good run and is a great player, but I’d 100% rather build around seider and I wouldn’t think twice about it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Players that go deep in the playoffs always get this treatment. "Oh, they are better than so and so, certainly!" One playoff doesn't make someone better than someone else who is currently rated higher than them. Lots of players in league history had amazing one off runs in the post season only to come nowhere close afterwards.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I've said for a while Caufield is a high risk/high reward player. He's so small. He was always a risk. From what I recall, most scouts/teams seemed to recognize his talent, I think a lot just passed on him due to uncertainty of size.

I think him dropping to 15 for Montreal was really dumb though. He probably could have dropped to ~10 or so, but teams should have taken a chance on him past 10.

Suzuki I don't remember seeing/hearing as much about pre-draft. Just a player that's been doing great since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad