How much endorsement money could Owen Power make at U of Michigan?

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Yeah I don’t know how it works at this granular of a level. I assume the players can sign individual endorsement deals with equipment companies, separate from what the department negotiates. No idea about the specifics, though.

I’m just saying when you walk into an equipment shop and they have posters of guys like Rantanen and Quick on the wall, the average person who knows who those guys are probably also knows who Owen Power is. I have to think you could get the college guy’s endorsement a lot cheaper, and I agree that the difference in sales must be pretty negligible.

Oh I agree with that part about Rantanen vs college. From that perspective, I agree likely more bang for the buck. I was just more on a larger scale, "do these endorsements move product to make them worthwhile?" question. Maybe it does, and maybe, like CEO's like to pal around with golfers so they sponsor a tournament to gain access, these guys are as much jock sniffers and it's always been that way.

I'd never make a pro who wants to wear my equipment pay for it, but at what point does paying them to do so actually earn a return? But probably best for another thread.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Would be a smart move for them now that the dam has broken and their previous structure of strict "amateurism" was smashed up. Some upside in this situation for the hockey programs if they drop that stance on CHL players.

HUGE benefit to mid-low level DIV 1 hockey programs that don't usually make the frozen four.Imagine if you're one of those schools and now you can compete every year.

it's like some random div 1 football team now being able to compete vs Alabama and Clemson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->