How much does Duchene get as a ufa?

How much does Duchene get as a ufa?

• Total voters

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Will be ufa this summer, having a huge season (although he is on IR now), how much will he get in his next contract?

-34 pts in 29 games this season
-a center, great on faceoffs
-will be 28 years old

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Doesn’t make it to UFA. I’ve been told by sens fans that he is re-signing 100% because Duchene and all sens players love it there

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The majority of HF posters think Duchene’s contract won’t exceed $8.5M?

Boys, Logan Couture and Ryan Johansen got $8M when they re-signed with their teams. In years where the cap ceiling was much lower and where they were much less productive than Duchene.

Duchene gets at least $10M and there will probably be several teams offering at least $11M.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The majority of HF posters think Duchene’s contract won’t exceed $8.5M?

Boys, Logan Couture and Ryan Johansen got $8M when they re-signed with their teams. In years where the cap ceiling was much lower and where they were much less productive than Duchene.

Duchene gets at least $10M and there will probably be several teams offering at least $11M.

Duchene's been more productive this year over 29 games but hasn't really been any more productive in recent years and doesn't bring the size of Johansen, defense of Couture or the playoff production of either. He's a good player, but I don't think he's seen as the type of difference maker franchise center that Tavares was to get that contract. Johansen signed just over a year ago and Couture signed in the summer. I don't think the cap has changed the market that dramatically. I would be very surprised if he got over 9, unless he actually ends up with a 80+ points season. Given he might be out awhile though, I doubt that's the case

Reactions: ESH

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He should get 7.5-8.5
Hopefully no one overpays him and messes up the market further

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The real killer is going to be that whether it's $8-9M or more, it's going to be for max term. Which is gonna take him to retirement, with some really rough years well into his 30s at the end, at a massive cap number, whatever it exactly ends up being.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The real killer is going to be that whether it's $8-9M or more, it's going to be for max term. Which is gonna take him to retirement, with some really rough years well into his 30s at the end, at a massive cap number, whatever it exactly ends up being.

If it's 7 years with another team, he'll turn 35 in January of the last year of the deal. That wouldn't be ideal, but I think he could live up to the first 5 years at least

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
My gut says 7.5 to 8.5 but my brain says 8.5 to 9.5 because:

1. Coming off a relatively friendly 6 mil cap hit, this next contract is his "pay day" and, time and again, teams have shown they are willing to burden the risk of an extra 1-2 mil in the 30+ years of a player, even if they might slow down significantly

2. Cap is up, contracts are up, deal is not as crazy as it looks, although I wouldn't want that hit cause my head is stuck in 2015

3. So long as he is either staying in Ottawa or not going to a team juggling with contracts (see: Toronto, not that TOR is an option for him but just citing an example of this), lots of teams can actually handle the hit

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Duchene's been more productive this year over 29 games but hasn't really been any more productive in recent years and doesn't bring the size of Johansen, defense of Couture or the playoff production of either. He's a good player, but I don't think he's seen as the type of difference maker franchise center that Tavares was to get that contract. Johansen signed just over a year ago and Couture signed in the summer. I don't think the cap has changed the market that dramatically. I would be very surprised if he got over 9, unless he actually ends up with a 80+ points season. Given he might be out awhile though, I doubt that's the case

Logan Couture got 8X8 (10.06% of cap) one year after scoring 61 points.

Ryan Johansen got 8X8 (10.67% of cap) one year after scoring 61 points.

Both of these guys stuck with their respective teams. Johansen signed as an RFA. Couture signed 364 days before he was scheduled to hit UFA. Had they hit the open market as UFAs, somebody would have paid them more.

Matt Duchene’s production throughout his entire tenure in tire fire Ottawa is 70 points per 82 games. His pace this season is 96 points per 82 games. If he hits the open market, he’s going to use the Ryan Johansen and Logan Couture contracts as comparable players to which he is marginally superior, and he’s not going to be wrong. With 31 GMs able to add Matt Duchene to their team for free, somebody is going to bite on that and sign him to something paying him at least 11% of the cap, which is going to be $9.13M. More realistically, he makes at least $10M.

Reactions: Numz

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Doesn’t make it to UFA. I’ve been told by sens fans that he is re-signing 100% because Duchene and all sens players love it there
And we were told by Leafs fans that Nylander was gonna take a discount how did that work out? Stop attacking fanbases in every thread.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I can see duchene taking less money to play on a perpetual contender. He wants to play important hockey.

Does he? Based on all the drama surrounding him past few years, i'd have guessed he'd like to play in a low pressure city (like Arizona for example).

I also wonder how much all of that baggage/drama from past few years will affect his contract. I want to say he'll get 9M$+ easily as a UFA - but i suppose some of that could hurt. Still - UFAs tend to get overpaid, not other way around. I voted 9.5-10.5

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Wow - shocked at the results. Most people see him get below 8.5M$? I mean I guess if the reasoning is "he'll accept less money to play where he wants" - maybe. But he'll for sure be offered more.

Tavares was getting offers at 13M$, and maybe more....there's no way there's such a huge gap between the 2. If Duchene goes for top dollar, it's easily going to be 9-10+

Numz

Oct 7, 2013
I think hell probably get max term at 9.5 million with the Preds.

I Like 5 years at 7.5 million.

Would not go above a max term at 8.5 million contract

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
I don’t see Duchene making less than 8-8.5 million AAV on a 6-7 year deal, Hayes’ contract is a good base of reference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad