How much do you value % wise between the Regular Season and Playoffs?

How much do you value between RS and POs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
One thing that's always interesting is that many of us value the difference between the regular season and playoffs. Some value the playoffs more than others. How much do you value between the two?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Assume you're talking about when comparing players, rather than a pure fan perspective? Most people want to cups, but honestly 90% of you watching your team is the regular season. The Oilers capitulated in 4 games, which is 7% of the total games we played, I still enjoyed the regular season and the season as a whole. Seems very sad to say that 93% of the games were a waste of time or that you can't enjoy them.

HF has an obsession with playoff performances and they are nice, but a players primary legacy comes from the regular season, unless your name is Kevin Lowe and you happen to win 6 cups. It was disappointing to not win a game this year, but I still had a hell of a lot of fun watching McDavid score almost 1.90 PPG. It's going to be an unpopular vocal opinion, but I'd say 75-25 RS-PS. Team wins the cup and then next year they have to do it all over again or there's disappointment, so the cup win lasts forever but you still end up in the cycle of wanting "more" the next year... the feeling of championships is very fleeting. Seems like a limited way to view the game, especially in a 32 team league, and especially if comparing players.

I was beyond happy to finally see Germany win a WC in 2014. Then 2018 came around and they got bounced in the GS...2014 WC suddenly felt like a long time ago and doesn't make you feel much better about the most recent loss.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The regular season isn't a good indicator of how good a team may be until about game 60

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I assume OP you mean when comparing 2 players all-time - how much do you value their regular season vs their playoffs? If so - i'd say probably 60 for season, 40 for playoffs. Could actually go as high as 70/30 too, depending on players/resume.

ie if I compare Crosby to McDavid all-time - I'd give Crosby's regular season resume a weight of ~60-70%, and his playoffs a weight of ~30-40%.

So if we look at someone like McDavid - it's impossible for me to give him the edge over Crosby by age 24 due to lack of playoffs (Crosby had 08 finals, 09 cup by same age + Olympic golden goal).

Sticking to McDavid vs Crosby - very comparable regular season resume so far, probably edge to McDavid. And Crosby was phenomenal in reg season at the age McDavid is on a per game basis - but injuries took away his seasons, meaning McDavid's edge is likely to even grow. But at some point - McDavid will have to have playoff success too (which he probably will) - if not it'll be impossible to top Crosby all time, and that even if I weight regular season at 70% instead of 60%.

If instead of an individual perspective you're asking about team perspective - well playoffs takes a much bigger importance. Probably 70-80% playoffs, and 20-30% regular season. I won't quite say 90/10 - for example, despite the epic choke job in 2019, Tampa > Columbus very easily.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
With the caveat that the sample size of each player’s playoff resume is a factor, I think playoff performance is important.

Beyond the fact that winning the playoffs is the ultimate goal of any team, and therefore great playoff performers are inherently more valuable to the end goal, the simple fact is that quality of competition generally increases in the playoffs. You’ve eliminated the ‘free points’ from the bottom half of the league, you’ve eliminated the half-interested tuesday night game efforts from the equation. You’re playing higher quality teams where every player is legitimately giving everything every shift.

If you consistently succeed in that environment, you’re a better player.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Player stats translate pretty well from regular season to playoffs. There are a few exceptions but for the most part the disparity you see is due to sample size or circumstance.

Hockey is overwhelmingly a team sport. A team with all B-caliber players is generally going to curb stomp a team with 1 or 2 elite talents and the rest C-level players.

So I look at the entire body of work for each player. And you can't just say 50/50 regular season/playoffs or anything like that. A great player can be denied playoff opportunities due to an incompetent GM. That's not the player's fault. So why would any objective rating system hold that against them?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
From time to time I find myself caring about the results of some playoff games. Regular season? Never.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
I mean if you never get to the playoffs to begin with, regular season is more important. When Red Wings was in their prime, Johan Franzen was arguebly a better player than Datsyuk in the playoffs, since nearly all playmakers take a step back when the ice gets smaller.

Reactions: DowJones

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Regular season exploits can be greatly diminished with poor playoff performances.

For a player, 60% RS v. 40% POs sounds about right, as does switching that around.

Neonmile

May 9, 2010
Laval
20/80 play-off for the ''what's my endgame/goal/obective" purpose. The opposite for evaluation & analysis purpose.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think it's that simple. Let's take a guy like Kucherov. His playoffs and regular season are of a type - really f***ing good. So however you rate him you're going to come up with the same answer.

For a guy like Marner, it's the opposite. Regular season stats you start to think it's impressive, but then in the playoffs he's a f***ing pumpkin. And you have to ask yourself why. It's become cliche, but playoff hockey is different. The sample sizes are smaller, the stakes are higher, teams have more of an opportunity to adjust, and schedule effects have little to no effect. It has to be a major part of any player evaluation - probably minimum 50% (but you have to distinguish player results from team results).

Tampa has been good for awhile now, but Kucherov's 128 points or Hedman's Norris or Vasi's Vezina isn't what the fanbase is proud of - it's the Cup.

You collect your paychecks in the regular season, but you earn them in the playoffs.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
It's all about the playoffs for me. What good is the regular season if you constantly lay a goose egg or choke while in pursuit of the holy grail.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
One thing that's always interesting is that many of us value the difference between the regular season and playoffs. Some value the playoffs more than others. How much do you value between the two?

When evaluating individual players resumes I put about 75% stock in the regular season and then 25% in the playoffs, international tournaments intangibles ect.... so I voted 70-30

Reactions: North Cole

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
If you have large sample size of big games, playoff become interesting for sure, but it is common for players to not have those, making it a bit of a case by case.

The fact Lafleur tend to be ranked so much above Marcel Dionne, do tend to point that it would be common to use more than a tie breaker when you have a lot of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad