How Much Do You Value Each Current Canuck?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Agreed but if the offer is on the table you do it hence boeser/horvat aren’t untouchable

"Realistically untouchable", or "only touchable in theory" are pretty wordy though. Edmonton has no reason to trade him to us, and if Chia dared he'd probably be lynched though.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Hey boys I'm in a deep Yahoo keeper leauge, is demko the future or is Marksterome

Demko is the future... failing that.. DiPietro.

Either way, if Markstrom sticks around he'll still be getting his share of games for the next 2-3 seasons anyways.

He's most likely the starter for at least next season if not two. No point rushing Demko in. And even when Marky is officially regulated to the back up role he'll get his lions share of starts for the first season.

This the most likely scenario I can see but we're also talking Hockey's most unpredictable position.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
So for all the people listing horvat, Peterson and boeser as untouchable your saying you wouldn’t trade them for McDavid????

The only one that it should only be a debate would Peterson and that’s around how much you value that contract.

I’m mean sure nobody is technically untouchable, the best player ever got traded. Untouchable to me means that the player will not get moved for anything resembling fair value. I wouldn’t have Boeser as untouchable though. Not that I want him traded, but I could see a scanario where he is traded to improve the team.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Core (No Deal) = Pettersson Boeser Horvat Hughes Demko
1st + = Edler Tanev
1st = Baertschi Virtanen Sutter Gaudette Madden Juolevi
2nd + = Markstrom Hutton Goldobin Woo DiPietro
2nd = Leivo Stecher Dahlen Lind
3rd = Roussel Motte Gudbranson Gadjovich Lockwood MacEwen Brisebois
Late pick = Del Zotto Granlund Pouliot Chatfield Utunen Rathbone
waivers = Biega Gaunce Boucher Sautner
unmoveable = Eriksson Beagle Schaller Gagner

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Core (No Deal) = Pettersson Boeser Horvat Hughes Demko
1st + = Edler Tanev
1st = Baertschi Virtanen Sutter Gaudette Madden Juolevi
2nd + = Markstrom Hutton Goldobin Woo DiPietro
2nd = Leivo Stecher Dahlen Lind
3rd = Roussel Motte Gudbranson Gadjovich Lockwood MacEwen Brisebois
Late pick = Del Zotto Granlund Pouliot Chatfield Utunen Rathbone
waivers = Biega Gaunce Boucher Sautner
unmoveable = Eriksson Beagle Schaller Gagner
So,if you were offered a 1st for Tanev you would take it..?...Chances are, you could never replace a Chris Tanev with a late 1st..My .02 cents..

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Wat8.jpg
Legitimately want to hear what is so outrageous about my valuation.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You're delusional if you think any of those players would return a first round pick in trade.
thats fine if you feel that way, but thats what it would take for me to entertain an offer.

2nd round picks are so rarely top6 top4 types i dont put the same value alot of people on these boards do unless there are multiple

Heres an example of 2nd round picks by the current best teams in each division over the last 10 years....about a 1 in 10 chance of getting a valuable commodity and the best 3 were drafted out of europe and probably overlooked somewhat due to scouting exposure.

CGY- Parsons Dube Kylington Andersson McDonald H.Smith Seiloff Granlund Wotherspoon Wahl
WASH - Seigenthaler Vanecek Sanford Bowey ORLOV Mestery Kugrashev
WPG- Harkins Petan Comrie L.Sutter Klingberg Morin
TB- Hajek Katchouk Raddysh Stephens Spencer MacLeod Masin Erne Blujus Hart KUCHEROV PANIK

Good 2 way middle six players for me are gonna cost you a 1st or offer me a player that helps my weaknesses i'm not trading them for 1 in 10 lottery tickets and if you think a 1st is too high that's ok i'll just keep them....of course things could change and i'm not talking about lottery 1st rounders for any of our players.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
thats fine if you feel that way, but thats what it would take for me to entertain an offer.

2nd round picks are so rarely top6 top4 types i dont put the same value alot of people on these boards do unless there are multiple

Heres an example of 2nd round picks by the current best teams in each division over the last 10 years....about a 1 in 10 chance of getting a valuable commodity and the best 3 were drafted out of europe and probably overlooked somewhat due to scouting exposure.

CGY- Parsons Dube Kylington Andersson McDonald H.Smith Seiloff Granlund Wotherspoon Wahl
WASH - Seigenthaler Vanecek Sanford Bowey ORLOV Mestery Kugrashev
WPG- Harkins Petan Comrie L.Sutter Klingberg Morin
TB- Hajek Katchouk Raddysh Stephens Spencer MacLeod Masin Erne Blujus Hart KUCHEROV PANIK

Good 2 way middle six players for me are gonna cost you a 1st or offer me a player that helps my weaknesses i'm not trading them for 1 in 10 lottery tickets and if you think a 1st is too high that's ok i'll just keep them....of course things could change and i'm not talking about lottery 1st rounders for any of our players.
That’s assuming managements with average or typical drafting abilities. While I am as anti-Benning as anyone here, I have always maintained the only thing it is good at is amateur scouting.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That’s assuming managements with average or typical drafting abilities. While I am as anti-Benning as anyone here, I have always maintained the only thing it is good at is amateur scouting.
So you would over value draft picks because you think Benning can do what the 4 best teams in the league by division cannot? That would be just the kind of foolishness that would sink this team.

Tampa has been lights out but as many have been campaigning around here its about volume of lottery tickets? outside the top 15 picks you essentially are odds on not getting a decent NHL player.......giving away decent NHL players that fit into what your doing for poor odds of returns would essentially be like taking your paycheque and gambling it on Blackjack every two weeks and expecting after a year to have increased your earnings. You might but the odds are against it.

Don't get me wrong. If the players contracts are expiring or they don't fit the plans or the direction then it's better to recoup something in market value than nothing but you cant arbitrarily devalue your assets because you think Benning is good at drafting

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Don't get me wrong. If the players contracts are expiring or they don't fit the plans or the direction then it's better to recoup something in market value than nothing but you cant arbitrarily devalue your assets because you think Benning is good at drafting
Going by your original post that started this, getting a 2nd round pick for Gaudette wouldn’t be underselling that asset IMHO.

Actually your Blackjack example isn’t a good one as the house edge (when one is using proper strategy) isn’t that high. Your odds of coming out ahead a far great than hitting on a mid 1st round pick or later pick. But I’m just in nitpicking here.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Future Canucks:

####-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-####
####-Gaudette-Virtanen
Motte-####-####

Hughes-####
Juolevi-####
Hutton-Tryamkin

Markstrom or Demko
####

If value is directly correlated with young future core players for this franchise, then the above players are who I value the most.

But outside of the above list, I pretty much agree with what most others are saying.

Untouchable: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, 2019 1st.

Neutral (generally keepers but can be had for the right price) = pretty much everyone else.

Need to go during this season or before next season: Del Zotto, Pouliot, Schaller.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Going by your original post that started this, getting a 2nd round pick for Gaudette wouldn’t be underselling that asset IMHO.

Actually your Blackjack example isn’t a good one as the house edge (when one is using proper strategy) isn’t that high. Your odds of coming out ahead a far great than hitting on a mid 1st round pick or later pick. But I’m just in nitpicking here.
Fair enough on the analogy. i think the winning probability is 46-47% IIRC.

Point is if odds are against you doing something over and over again and expecting positive results is likely not gonna end well.

Selling Gaudette (who i still believe can become a good middle six) for a 2nd round pick if you believe what i do is foolish.

Reactions: Hit the post

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Untouchable: Petterson, Boeser, Horvat

Highly: Edler, Tanev, Virtanen, Hughes, Demko

Somewhat: Baertschi, Markstrom, DiPietro, Dahlen, Juolevi, Woo, Madden, Kind, Gaudette, Gadjovich, most other prospects, Hutton, Stetcher

A little bit: Sutter, Beagle, Gudbranson, Roussel, Granlund, Leivo, Motte, Eriksson, Biega, Gagner, Gaunce, Goldobin, anyone not listed I think

Get out of here: Pouliot, Schaller, Del Zotto

I'm lazy so will comment off of your list.

Agree with first 4 as the core moving forward but Gretzky was traded so no one is untouchable in my books.

In the highly grouping the only one i really value highly is hughes, the other guys can be traded if the right offer comes along, ie Edler for a 1st, Tanev for 1st plus a bit ect..

I'm higher on Dipietro than dmeko at this point, although it's kind of flip a coin so one is tradeable.

The rest of the group is basically filler for me.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Just as an experiment, I'm curious to see what this board feels each player on the team is worth. It's fair to mark a player as untouchable but ideally, we get a value for every player. You can list draft picks, specific players, or a category of player (65+ pt. plus center, top 2 defenseman). If you feel really invested you can list what it would take for you to trade a player and the value you feel other teams would offer for them.

I'm just curious what assets people feel we have and what they'd trade pieces of our current roster for.

In a few cases we over value a lot of our players

Reactions: Norade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->