How Much Do You Value Each Current Canuck?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just as an experiment, I'm curious to see what this board feels each player on the team is worth. It's fair to mark a player as untouchable but ideally, we get a value for every player. You can list draft picks, specific players, or a category of player (65+ pt. plus center, top 2 defenseman). If you feel really invested you can list what it would take for you to trade a player and the value you feel other teams would offer for them.

I'm just curious what assets people feel we have and what they'd trade pieces of our current roster for.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Untouchable: Petterson, Boeser, Horvat

Highly: Edler, Tanev, Virtanen, Hughes, Demko

Somewhat: Baertschi, Markstrom, DiPietro, Dahlen, Juolevi, Woo, Madden, Kind, Gaudette, Gadjovich, most other prospects, Hutton, Stetcher

A little bit: Sutter, Beagle, Gudbranson, Roussel, Granlund, Leivo, Motte, Eriksson, Biega, Gagner, Gaunce, Goldobin, anyone not listed I think

Get out of here: Pouliot, Schaller, Del Zotto

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Of the players I care about:

Tanev: Late 1st + 2nd/2 3rds

Edler: Late 1st + 2nd/2 3rds

Hutton: high 2nd + B prospect d-man

Stecher: two 3rds

Pettersson: young #1 future d-man of similar calibre and age group (Heiskanen, Dahlin, Provorov, McAvoy etc)

Horvat: dman with term and similar calibre (Hampus Lindholm, Jaccob Slavin, Shayne Gostisbehere, Esa Lindell, Rasmus Ristolainen, Jacob Trouba, etc) - they're obviously not all worth the same but you get the idea.

Boeser: young future potential top pairing d-man of similar age and calibre (Sergachev, Makar, Chychrun, etc)

Gaudette: Similar age and calibre d-man

Baerschi: 2nd round pick + 3rd

Virtanen: 2nd/3rd rounder/previously highly sought after young d-man who is struggling similar to him

Markstrom: two 2nds

Hughes: top 5 pick in the 2019 draft.

Demko: late 1st

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Of the players I care about:

Pettersson: young #1 future d-man of similar calibre and age group (Heiskanen, Dahlin, Provorov, McAvoy etc)

Horvat: dman with term and similar calibre (Hampus Lindholm, Jaccob Slavin, Shayne Gostisbehere, Esa Lindell, Rasmus Ristolainen, Jacob Trouba, etc) - they're obviously not all worth the same but you get the idea.

Boeser: young future potential top pairing d-man of similar age and calibre (Sergachev, Makar, Chychrun, etc)

Hughes: top 5 pick in the 2019 draft

Demko: late 1st
Wat8.jpg

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Untouchable: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat

Highly: Edler, Hughes, Demko

Decently: Tanev, Markstrom, Hutton, Stecher

Somewhat: Virtanen, Baertschi, DiPietro, Dahlen, Woo, Madden, Gaudette

A little bit: Juolevi, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Leivo, Motte, Biega, Gagner, Gaunce, Goldobin, Lind, Gadjovich

Useless: Gudbranson, Pouliot, Schaller, Del Zotto, Eriksson, Granlund

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm like the Untouchable, Highly, Decently, Somewhat, and Useless ranking system we've got here.

Untouchable: Horvat, Pettersson

Highly: Boeser, Markstrom, Edler, Tanev, Gaudette, Demko

Decently: Virtanen, Hutton, Baertschi, Roussel, Beagle, Goldobin

Little: Stecher, Motte, Leivo, Sutter, Beiga, Gaunce, Sutter

Useless: Gudbranson, Pouliot, Eriksson, Granlund, Schaller, Gagner, MDZ

Untouchables are players where I'd need multiple firsts, a very solid prospect, and a good roster replacement to even consider moving. These guys don't move unless another team overpays for them or we're absolutely forced to blow the team up due to something crazy happening. There's no way these wouldn't be the best player in any reasonable trade they're involved in.

Highly rated, players that I could see being moved to address an area of need. It's hard to make a trade where we get a better player back. I'd like at least a first and a prospect/roster player if these players are moved with term on their contracts. People will disagree with Boeser being here, but with his season thus far and his contract coming up I'd explore trading him at the TDL if the pieces coming back made sense.

Edler aside, I wouldn't look to trade any player in this category. They're either key pieces for the future or highly contributing players right where they are. If they were to be traded, I'd want to have them packed with a decently valued player and a pick as a means for trading into a true star.

Decently, the kinds of players you could see a proper hockey trade being made around. You'd want to trade these players and a little extra to try to upgrade your roster. Most teams wouldn't mind playing these guys on their roster but a few of them are difficult to move due to their contracts.

While these are some of our better players any of them can and should be upgraded if we want to be a proper playoff team. They all bring some skill to our team, but also have weaknesses that keep them from being key pieces. The issue with trading them is that to get value back you'd really need to staple a pick or prospect to them and try to pry loose a roster upgrade from another team.

Little, these players serve a useful role on the team, but are unlikely to have any real trade value. I wouldn't mind moving any of them as a secondary piece to a larger trade. Most of them likely have more value to our team than they do in a trade and all can likely be easily replaced by a moderate level UFA signing.

Among these players, Stecher and Sutter might have some actual trade value. They probably don't get traded as both have term and are more likely to be traded with a year left on their current deals than they are this season.

Useless, we all know who these players are. They have negative value both on the ice and off. If we could move any of these contracts for a replacement level player making less it would likely upgrade our team simply by subtraction. These are the kinds of players most playoff teams simply don't have on their rosters.

Surprisingly a few of our Useless tier players do actually seem to have some perceived value around the league. Gudbranson and MDZ are guys that could move at the TDL this season, though we'd almost certainly have to retain at least a million for Gud to be moved.

I didn't rank prospects, because I'm more interested in what we have at the NHL level. I mean this is what we, have to, eventually, turn into a playoff team.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Only untouchable is Pettersson, though it would take a pretty penny to pry Horvat or Boeser out of my hands.

My Rankings:

S+ Pettersson
S Horvat, Boeser
A Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Baertschi
B Goldobin, Virtanen, Stetcher, Gaudette
C Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Gaunce, Leivo
D Motte, Biega
F Eriksson, Granlund, MDZ
F- Gudbranson, Pouliot, Gagner, Schaller

In terms of value Gudbranson likely has A/B value to a number of teams. Sutter and maybe Beagle have B tier value.

Baertschi I would try to pump up his value and ship him out as his concussions scare me despite how much I love him. I value him as a player, but risk/reward lowers that value IMO.

Virtanen, Goldobin and Stetcher are okay players and maybe even have upside, at least Virtanen and Goldobin do. They, along with Hutton, will not get enough in a trade to justify moving them.

Eriksson isn't as bad as Granlund for example but his rating is heavily influenced by his awful contract. If he was paid fairly he would be a C/D player. He is a negative asset with that cap hit.

Pouliot, Gagner and Schaller. Yikes. Along with Gudbranson they need their own tier of sucking and aren't even remotely close to being NHL players. They could be making <$1M and they would still not be worth the roster spot or ice time. Brutal. The difference is I don't think you could even trick an F tier GM into taking them like you could Gudbranson

Potential return rankings

S+ Pettersson. Can't imagine anyone around the league is untouchable in a deal for Pettersson right now except McDavid

S Horvat and Boeser. Legit 1st liners. Horvat is underrated but no doubt there are a few GMs out there who would love to snag him.

A Edler, Tanev. Edler and Tanev, not much else to say.

A- Gudbranson. Nobody can convince me that dinosaur GMs like Chia would not pay a premium for Gudbranson. Nobody.

B Sutter. Fine player, but he's named Sutter so his value stat gets a +1 buff.

B- Beagle and Roussel. Beagle touted as gritty veteran leadership guy with a ring. Probably even B tier. Roussel is having a great year.

C+ Baertschi, Virtanen, Hutton. Baertschi hasn't quite separated himself from the pack of tweeners by enough to have much value. I think he can though. Virtanen has upside still and is the exact type of player that is overrated anyway. Hutton is underrated by fans who watch him every night and already know he's paired with Gudbranson. Other teams don't know about the Gudbranson debuff

D Goldobin, Stetcher. Goldobin has a poor image around the league and he's a gamble/project, but a gamble worth taking given how low his value most certainly is. Stetcher is fine, but he's at best a bottom pairing guy right now and I doubt anyone would pay much for him.

F Motte, Leivo. Maybe get picked up on waivers.

F- Eriksson, Gagner, Granlund, Gaunce, Biega, MDZ, Pouliot, Schaller. Have cleared or would clear waivers. Would have to pay to dump some of them.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I agree with you a lot, but Boeser and Horvat are wouldn't trade players as well!

Very few players should ever be "wouldn't trade" players. I'm sure Ryan Johansen would have been in that category as well. The "wouldn't trade" players are the players you could probably never make a trade work with. Guys like Pettersson, McDavid, Crosby etc are the guys in that tier because you really just can't replace them unless it's some bizarre unrealistic trade involving something like both Sedins for Crosby and a downgrade and good luck making that happen.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
On top of the mountain by himself

Pettersson

Core pieces

Horvat
Boeser

Solid

Edler
Virtanen
Tanev
Gaudette
Markstrom
Demko

Good

Roussel
Beagle
Baertschi
Goldobin
Hutton
Motte
Biega
Leivo

Good but could trade

Stecher
Sutter

Get the hell out of here

Eriksson
Gudbranson
Delzotto
Schaller
Granlund
Gagner
Pouliot

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
The future:
Petey, Horvat, Boeser

Linchpins:
Tanev, Edler, Gaudette, Markstrom, Demko (Hughes too, probably)

We can win with depth like this:
Baertschi, Virtanen, Hutton, Roussel, Motte, Beagle

Kinda meh:
Stecher, Goldobin, Sutter, Leivo

Big meh:
Biega, Gagner

Actively hurting the team:
Granlund, Eriksson, Schaller, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, Pouliot

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Not including players not on the current roster:
Untouchable: EP
Can be move with excellent return coming back: Horvat, Boeser, Markstrom, Demko
Can be move with a fair price: Goldy. Hutton, Edler, Tanev, Stecher, Virtanen, Gaudette,Baertschi
Everyone else: Can disappear from this city tmr like I care

Last edited:

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not including players not on the current roster:
Untouchable: EP
Can be move with excellent return coming back: Horvat, Boeser, Markstrom, Demko
Can be move with a fair price: Goldy. Hutton, Tanev, Stecher, Virtanen, Gaudette,Baertschi
Everyone else: Can disappear from this city tmr like I care

Okay, Edler does not deserve that level of hate.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
The only player I absolutely wouldn't trade is EP, everyone else has a price(some more than others)

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So for all the people listing horvat, Peterson and boeser as untouchable your saying you wouldn’t trade them for McDavid????

The only one that it should only be a debate would Peterson and that’s around how much you value that contract.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So for all the people listing horvat, Peterson and boeser as untouchable your saying you wouldn’t trade them for McDavid????

The only one that it should only be a debate would Peterson and that’s around how much you value that contract.

If someone is offering McDavid in a trade, I'll gladly reconsider. No one in their right mind would offer McDavid for Boeser or Horvat however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad