Speculation: How much do we regress, if at all?

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
It's clear enough to read through the lines of having Gilman put together a comprehensive powerpoint on why its a bad idea to sign Sbisa only to have them....sign Sbisa to an egregious deal and know that Benning didn't want anyone from the old regime to get in his way because he clearly knew how to build a stanley cup team.
Benning is like a bargain basement level kevin lowe. He was the assistant on another team run by an idiot that lucked into a cup by the boss of referees’ son being on his team. He “knows how to win”.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'd argue that Sutter and Beagle were the two most unforgivable contracts he signed. Sutter was paid for too much and too long, after having the opportunity to show he was more than a 3rd line center.

Beagle would have been bad regardless, but was horrid on a team already anchored by Sutter.
Not the Sbisa (3.6m over 3) contract? Or how about the Gudbranson (4m over 3) extension?

Two completely bizarre and anti-competitive financial transactions.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Not the Sbisa (3.6m over 3) contract? Or how about the Gudbranson (4m over 3) extension?

It's always difficult trying to select just which of Benning's contracts is the most egregiously horrific.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Of course Benning wanted him gone. He was Gillis' right hand man.

Heck Gillman was great but i probably would have fired him in the same situation.

Difference is i wouldn't be arrogant enough to think i could do his job and would have hired a Paul Depodesta like capologist and analytics guy to work with me
Pom disagrees with you. Argue with him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd argue that Sutter and Beagle were the two most unforgivable contracts he signed. Sutter was paid for too much and too long, after having the opportunity to show he was more than a 3rd line center.

Beagle would have been bad regardless, but was horrid on a team already anchored by Sutter.

Sutter was at least a young-ish player signed through his age 26-31 years at a time where we were coming off a playoff season. The assessment of the player was poor, but the contract fit where the team was at. Like, if we'd given that exact contract to Nick Bonino - a player Benning thought was worse than Sutter - it's actually a solid contract that you can excuse the signing of given that we'd just had a 100-point season.

The Sutter-Roussel contracts are the worst. Hands down. 4-year deals given to 4th liners through their mid-30s, at a point where the team was at the bottom end of the cycle, of a length that would block the future re-signings of star players. Just absolute idiocy.

There are basically 3 aspects to evaluating a UFA signing. 1) How they fit into a plan and the team going forward. 2) Evaluation of the player. 3) Execution of the contract in terms of term/AAV/clauses. Those two deals were a complete disaster on all 3 fronts.

Reactions: Mr4legs

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I present to you, the Jim Benning all-star lineup:

Eriksson - Sutter - Vey
Baertschi - Spooner - Granlund
Roussel - Beagle - Goldobin
Prust - Schaller - Leipsic
Chaput, Megna

Sbisa - Bartkowski
Gudbranson - Larsen
Clendening - Pouliot
Pedan, Del Zotto

Holtby
Nilsson
Over a 6 year span ..cherrypicks all the teams placeholders, and underachievers, and makes up an all star team...If a GM's been around long enough, you could make one of these up for every team.

clever.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I present to you, the Jim Benning all-star lineup:

Eriksson - Sutter - Vey
Baertschi - Spooner - Granlund
Roussel - Beagle - Goldobin
Prust - Schaller - Leipsic
Chaput, Megna

Sbisa - Bartkowski
Gudbranson - Larsen
Clendening - Pouliot
Pedan, Del Zotto

Holtby
Nilsson
Don’t forget Benning’s two all world coaches: Willie D and Travis G! (Both will less than .500 winning percentages)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It was a joke. It's not like Benning gave sizeable contracts to a lot of those players based on no merit.
And how many of those overpaid old crappy players are we still paying for? Loui, Sutter, Beagle, Baer, Roussel, Spooner? Place holders, as another poster suggested, don’t get bid dollar long term contracts.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Over a 6 year span ..cherrypicks all the teams placeholders, and underachievers, and makes up an all star team...If a GM's been around long enough, you could make one of these up for every team.

clever.

thing is, you don’t get to see it at this scale

jim benning is an historical outlier in terms of crappy years accrued while inexplicably keeping his job

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

jim benning is an historical outlier in terms of crappy years accrued while inexplicably keeping his job
Maybe, from the owner’s POV, Benning is the perfect puppet?

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Maybe, from the owner’s POV, Benning is the perfect puppet?
It wouldn’t surprise me. I just hope that means it’s almost over. It’s scary to think of frankie blueberries hiring another yes man though if that is what we have been subjected to here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

clever.

Not really. It isn't like he's putting AHL signings on there. Every guy on that list save for Pedan was a player acquired with either a) a trade for an asset or b) given a 7-figure FA contract. All expected to be substantial first-team contributors.

That that number of players has accumulated in this short of a time (and there are guys missing - no Sam Gagner, etc) is extraordinary.

Yup.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's pretty simple really....the succession of terrible contracts the Canucks signed either via UFA's or trades, has finally caught up with them.

Every team in the NHL has a couple of bad contracts. But by my count the Canucks have as many as 10, including close to $10 million tied up in Baertschi-Eriksson who apparently aren't even NHL players any more.

So until they can clean out the deadwood, it's difficult to see this team ever being able to compete. And that won't happen until the off-season. So regression this season was largely inevitable.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

That Sbisa extension is what made me take a break from following the team for several years.

Knew we had a moron GM and weren't going to win the cup with him after the Kesler trade, comments around the trade, and then Sbisa extension after watching him play all year.

Told myself I'd only come back when Benning was fired but gave in when Pettersson started his rookie season.

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Miller’s off season comments about a “shocking reboot” were clearly accurate. Losing Marky, Tanev, and Tofu resulting (so far) in serious regression.

Reactions: 420Canuck

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
Miller’s off season comments about a “shocking reboot” were clearly accurate. Losing Marky, Tanev, and Tofu resulting (so far) in serious regression.

regression but how far would we progress with them? markstrom stealing us wins and maybe carrying us to a second round playoffs if we are lucky.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
regression but how far would we progress with them? markstrom stealing us wins and maybe carrying us to a second round playoffs if we are lucky.
I mean if this is the case then trade them and get *something* in return.

Right now our prospect pool outside of Podkolzin is pretty bare. And it remains to be seen what type of player he becomes in the NHL.

We have an aging Edler that will need to be replaced. Juolevi who right now is a 6th dman.

Nevermind our 3rd and 4th line shambles.

Plus a Miller who looks like he wants out.

At best the Canucks are another 2-3 years away from competing. And that without any more f***ups from Benning (poor draft choices, giving away assets).

Unless you think they will be competing next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad